Does a Catholic have to believe in all Catholic teaching?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Abira
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you read the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and the Bible?

I recommend fellow Catholics who are new at this to read both.

I must ask you one important question.

As a Catholic, do you believe that Jesus Christ is Truly Present Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the Blessed Sacrament, or do you believe the Blessed Sacrament as Symbolic?
I have read the Catechism and the Bible. Seton Home Study School from first grade to graduation also gives you very thorough religious education.

And yes, I do believe in the presence of Christ in the Eucharist.
Imagine you were following Jesus, knowing him to be God, and he had a hard-to-accept teaching (and he did). Now, if you say, “I refuse to accept this”, you are really saying that you know better than God, and are putting yourself above God.
You didn’t present an accurate portrayal of me. I disagree with some church teachings, but because I put the Church higher than my own will, I trust in Christ and obey the laws. There’s nothing I can do to dispell my objections to some of them, and I am continually trying to find people and discussions that can prove me wrong. I am trying very very hard to find the truth.I don’t want to be at odds with the Church. So don’t you dare to tell me that I am putting myself above God.
 
I have read the Catechism and the Bible. Seton Home Study School from first grade to graduation also gives you very thorough religious education.

And yes, I do believe in the presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

You didn’t present an accurate portrayal of me. I disagree with some church teachings, but because I put the Church higher than my own will, I trust in Christ and obey the laws. There’s nothing I can do to dispell my objections to some of them, and I am continually trying to find people and discussions that can prove me wrong. I am trying very very hard to find the truth.I don’t want to be at odds with the Church. So don’t you dare to tell me that I am putting myself above God.
Imagine you were following Jesus, knowing him to be God, and he had a hard-to-accept teaching (and he did). Now, if you say, “I refuse to accept this”, you are really saying that you know better than God, and are putting yourself above God.
is written by DeFide.
The second post isn’t mind, bro. :rotfl:
 
IYou didn’t present an accurate portrayal of me. I disagree with some church teachings, but because I put the Church higher than my own will, I trust in Christ and obey the laws. There’s nothing I can do to dispell my objections to some of them, and I am continually trying to find people and discussions that can prove me wrong. I am trying very very hard to find the truth.I don’t want to be at odds with the Church. So don’t you dare to tell me that I am putting myself above God.
If you accept the divine origin and protection of the Church, and refuse to accept her teaching, then you are putting yourself above God, saying that you know better.

If, however, you merely have a difficulty with the teaching, but accept it, not seeing exactly how it can be, then you are fine.
 
I’m sorry, Mannyfit75, for not identifying the second quote as being by DeFide. I was careless in posting. I certainly did not mean to attribute DeFide’s post to you. Sorry 😦

DeFide, why are you so eager to show me as putting myself above God? I don’t understand why you are so abrasive. I try my best to not go against the Church’s teachings, and I am trying to follow God’s will. What more can a person do?
 
thanks for all your responses…

so, if you have trouble with a tecahing but trust God…then that’s ok…

but what about those Catholics who disagree with a teaching completely. should they become protestant? or do you think it best to keep them in the Catholic family in the hope that they can change…or should they become protestant and work towards different beliefs while they are protestant.

As I understand iit you wouldn’t accept a protestant conversion with someone who did not hold key beliefs… so do 'protesting Catholics (lol) fall into the same bracket?

Take care, S x
 
I am a Catholic who does not believe all that the Church teaches. I have struggled with it, but I cannot force myself to believe anything that I disagree with. I have prayed about it, cried about it, talked to countless priests, and in the end, all that I can do is know that God sees my heart, and knows that I am trying my best to be faithful to Him. But while I do not believe all that the Church teaches, I try my best to follow all the rules, which, of course, no one can fully succeed in, because we are all human and imperfect.
Don’t despair, most Catholics struggle with one teaching or another. Continue to pray about it, and remember, as you said, God doesn’t expect any of us to be perfect. Just do the best you can.
 
thanks for all your responses…

so, if you have trouble with a tecahing but trust God…then that’s ok…

but what about those Catholics who disagree with a teaching completely. should they become protestant? or do you think it best to keep them in the Catholic family in the hope that they can change…or should they become protestant and work towards different beliefs while they are protestant.

As I understand iit you wouldn’t accept a protestant conversion with someone who did not hold key beliefs… so do 'protesting Catholics (lol) fall into the same bracket?

Take care, S x
A Catholic who does not accept all the teachings of the Church has a real problem.

CCC 2089 Incredulity is the neglect of revealed truth or the willful refusal to assent to it. "Heresy is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same; apostasy is the total repudiation of the Christian faith; schism is the refusal of submission to the Roman Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him."

The penalty for heresy is automatic excommunication!
 
DeFide, why are you so eager to show me as putting myself above God? I don’t understand why you are so abrasive. I try my best to not go against the Church’s teachings, and I am trying to follow God’s will. What more can a person do?
Sing:

There are a lot of judgemental posters and “experts” on this forum. Try to just take any constructive content from their posts and ignore the rest. I’ve learned to do that, otherwise I get very annoyed, very fast.

Hang in there, as I said, the majority of Catholics struggle from time to time. I know I do.
 
I disagree with some church teachings, but because I put the Church higher than my own will, I trust in Christ and obey the laws. There’s nothing I can do to dispell my objections to some of them, and I am continually trying to find people and discussions that can prove me wrong. I am trying very very hard to find the truth.I don’t want to be at odds with the Church.
Sing:

I commend you for trying to resolve your difficulties with some of the Church’s teachings! It takes a lot of work. If you are truly active in finding the truth, I believe you will. May God Bless your journey.

There are a lot of “experts” on this forum who will try to convince you that it really doesn’t matter. You will recognize them as they are the ones who ignore the Church’s teachings and any enusing conversation, and discussion that backs up the Church as “judgemental.” I would second mikew262’s advice, try to take any constructive content from their posts and ignore the rest.
 
IDeFide, why are you so eager to show me as putting myself above God? I don’t understand why you are so abrasive. I try my best to not go against the Church’s teachings, and I am trying to follow God’s will. What more can a person do?
I can understand that it sounds abrasive because I’m making it sound serious. It is serious, depending on your situation. I’m not trying to be abrasive, though.

I gave you a few options to describe your situation, but you haven’t clarified. So again: Do you have difficulties or are you point blank refusing to accept teachings that you recognize are of divine origins? 10,000 difficulties to do not amount to one doubt.

Nobody can help if you aren’t willing to be specific.
 
I can understand that it sounds abrasive because I’m making it sound serious. It is serious, depending on your situation. I’m not trying to be abrasive, though.

I gave you a few options to describe your situation, but you haven’t clarified. So again: Do you have difficulties or are you point blank refusing to accept teachings that you recognize are of divine origins? 10,000 difficulties to do not amount to one doubt.

Nobody can help if you aren’t willing to be specific.
There are several issues that I find completely nonsensical and illogical. I am constantly reading the arguments in favor of them, trying to understand. As of yet, I haven’t been convinced. But I am still trying. Does this answer your question? I’m very hesitant to go into specifics here because I see so much uncharity towards people who don’t fit into a certain mold, and I do not want to be attacked for something I already feel guilty enough about.
 
There are several issues that I find completely nonsensical and illogical. I am constantly reading the arguments in favor of them, trying to understand. As of yet, I haven’t been convinced. But I am still trying. Does this answer your question? I’m very hesitant to go into specifics here because I see so much uncharity towards people who don’t fit into a certain mold, and I do not want to be attacked for something I already feel guilty enough about.
Let’s try to be specific on mindset, without being specific on the topic.

If God came up to you and said “X is the truth”, and X was a difficult teaching, are you in the position of saying:

a) I’ll accept X as true, God, because you are teaching it to me, but I cannot yet reconcile it in my mind.

or

b) Because I cannot yet reconcile it in my mind I’ll reject X, despite the fact that you are teaching it to me.
 
Does a Catholic have to believe in all Catholic teaching?

Easy answer:

YES!

I believe all and love all the Catholic Church teaches. 👍
 
I ask the above question because since I have been reading about Catholicism and speaking to people when I find out they are Catholics I have come across some issues.

I understood that a person had to be in full communion with the Catholic church before taking communion or being Catholic…slightly different to the protestant communion which hopes that the act of communion will bring us all together…
Basically I have met some Catholics that do not agree with all Catholic teaching and I wondered how this can be.

How far can they differ before they should not call themselves Catholic?

I can give examples if you like but I’ll keep the question simple for now.

thanks , S 🙂
Those persons who diliberately reject the De Fide teachings of The Church have excommunicated themselves. The Catholic Faith is just that, a Faith system. One who believes all that the Catholic Church teaches is, by definition Catholic. One who does not, is not. Purposly rejecting the teaching of The Church automatically results in latæ sententiæ excommunication; that is, the act itself causes the excommunication if the person is aware that they are intentionally rejecting the Authentic teachings of the Church.

Yours in Christ.
 
Hi Sorrows,

How does one go about rejecting the teaching of tĥe Church in such a way a to incur automatic excommunication?

Verbum
 
thanks for all your responses…

so, if you have trouble with a tecahing but trust God…then that’s ok…
Yes. We all have questions about our faith. If we didn’t, then we’d have to wonder whether we had any faith at all. A faith that hasn’t got any questions is probably dead.
but what about those Catholics who disagree with a teaching completely. should they become protestant?
No - then things would be even worse for them, since they would have no one who could teach them the truth.

Instead, they need to soften their hearts, and listen to what God is trying to teach them, through the Church. But in the meantime, they should abstain from Holy Communion until they have worked out their difficulties. But they should keep coming to Mass, and they should go to a priest to receive Spiritual Direction, with a view towards preparing to make a good Confession.

By the way, it is possible to fall out of the Church in either direction. Being too liberal is bad, but so is being too legalistic.
 
Let’s try to be specific on mindset, without being specific on the topic.

If God came up to you and said “X is the truth”, and X was a difficult teaching, are you in the position of saying:

a) I’ll accept X as true, God, because you are teaching it to me, but I cannot yet reconcile it in my mind.

or

b) Because I cannot yet reconcile it in my mind I’ll reject X, despite the fact that you are teaching it to me.
I wish God would come to me and speak to me.

I do believe that the Church is guided by the Holy Spirit, but I also recognize the fact that the Church is made up by humans, who are quite capable of error. On certain issues, I beleive that humans have brought error into the Church.

I’m guessing that doesn’t make the situation any better.
 
I wish God would come to me and speak to me.

I do believe that the Church is guided by the Holy Spirit, but I also recognize the fact that the Church is made up by humans, who are quite capable of error. On certain issues, I beleive that humans have brought error into the Church.

I’m guessing that doesn’t make the situation any better.
It actually could make the situation better in the sense of reducing the gravity of sin involved. However you should keep informing your conscious through study, including the tracts on Catholic.com.

Saint Thomas Aquinas said if a Catholic comes to believe the Church is in error in some essential, officially defined doctrine, it is a mortal sin against conscience, a sin of hypocrisy, for him to remain in the Church and call himself a Catholic, but only a venial sin against knowledge for him to leave the Church in honest but partly culpable error.

If you just suspect the Church may be in error but haven’t made up your mind and can accept her teaching for the time being, giving Christ’s Church the benefit of the doubt, that may allow you to remain in the Church without incurring the sin of hypocrisy.
 
Hi Sorrows,

How does one go about rejecting the teaching of tĥe Church in such a way a to incur automatic excommunication?

Verbum
Frankly, Verbum, you probably don’t have to worry about it. First of all, you aren’t excommunicated for having problems with “a teaching” of the Church. The latae sententiae excommunication is for heresy (Canon 1364
 
Hi Sorrows,

How does one go about rejecting the teaching of tĥe Church in such a way a to incur automatic excommunication?

Verbum
I wouldn’t worry too much about it, Verbum.

First, contrary to popular belief, latae sententiae excommunication is rare. Yes, it’s a proper punishment for heresy (Canon 1364 sec. 1), but disagreement and heresy are two different things. Heresy is defined as “the obstinate denial or obstinate doubt after the reception of baptism of some truth which is to be believed by divine and Catholic faith” (Canon 751).

This raises the question: what truths are to be believed by divine and Catholic faith? Well,
A person must believe with divine and Catholic faith all those things contained in the word of God, written or handed on, that is, in the one deposit of faith entrusted to the Church, and at the same time proposed as divinely revealed either by the solemn magisterium of the Church or by its ordinary and universal magisterium which is manifested by the common adherence of the Christian faithful under the leadership of the sacred magisterium; therefore all are bound to avoid any doctrines whatsoever contrary to them.
(Canon 750 sec. 1).

Note that canon law has a second, lower level of truth. That second, lower level of truth is this:
Each and every thing which is proposed definitively by the magisterium of the Church concerning the doctrine of faith and morals, that is, each and every thing which is required to safeguard reverently and to expound faithfully the same deposit of faith, is also to be firmly embraced and retained; therefore, one who rejects those propositions which are to be held definitively is opposed to the doctrine of the Catholic Church.
(Canon 750 sec. 2).

The third-highest level of truth is this:
Although not an assent of faith, a religious submission of the intellect and will must be given to a doctrine which the Supreme Pontiff or the college of bishops declares concerning faith or morals when they exercise the authentic magisterium, even if they do not intend to proclaim it by definitive act; therefore, the Christian faithful are to take care to avoid those things which do not agree with it.
(Canon 752).

And the fourth-highest level of truth is this:
Although the bishops who are in communion with the head and members of the college, whether individually or joined together in conferences of bishops or in particular councils, do not possess infallibility in teaching, they are authentic teachers and instructors of the faith for the Christian faithful entrusted to their care; the Christian faithful are bound to adhere with religious submission of mind to the authentic magisterium of their bishops.
Heresy consists of obstinate denial or obstinate doubt of the first, highest level of truth. By way of example, most canon lawyers teach that believing in the possibility of female clergy is not heresy (because JPII’s statement about the impossibility of ordaining women clearly (well, clearly to a canon lawyer) avoided using the language associated with declaring a truth to be at the highest level).

Second point: you can’t accidentally get yourself excommunicated. It has to be obstinate doubt. “No one is punished unless the external violation of a law or precept, committed by the person, is gravely imputable by reason of malice or negligence.” (Canon 1321 sec. 1). Indeed,
The following are not subject to a penalty when they have violated a law or precept: . . . . a person who without negligence was ignorant that he or she violated a law or precept; inadvertence and error are equivalent to ignorance;
(Canon 1323 sec. 2).

Third point: Sing, of course you have issues with the Church. And we freely admit that humans have brought error into the Church – just ask anyone who was abused by a priest whether humans are capable of (let’s be charitable and call it) error. That’s not the point; the point is, the Holy Spirit prevents the Church from definitively proclaiming matters of faith and morals in error. So, e.g., no matter how many corrupt priests, bishops, and even (sad to say) popes there might have been in the last 2,000 years, no pope has ever taught that Jesus was not Lord.

Fourth point: You don’t have to believe everything the Church teaches to be Catholic. If you’re having a hard time accepting the Church’s teaching, so be it. Pray about it and try to understand it. Frankly, the following statement you made:
I have prayed about it, cried about it, talked to countless priests, and in the end, all that I can do is know that God sees my heart, and knows that I am trying my best to be faithful to Him.
convinces me that you are well within Church law: you’re making a submission of the intellect to the Church, despite your not “getting” the teaching.

The bottom line: you gotta try to get excommunicated, and you aren’t there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top