T
Tenebrae
Guest
I have to cook cod tonight. Can anyone help? (Husband usually wants it in sauce for polenta, but the kids hate that.)
This recipe doesn’t look bad at all. But again…you don’t have to use salted cod. You can use fresh cod and boil it a bit before baking. I also would not chop the hard boiled eggs…but instead just slice them and include them in a layer on top. It’s delicious! Also…I don’t think the butter is needed…just the olive oil. Steve
2 pounds dried salted cod fish
4 Yukon Gold potatoes
3 tablespoons butter
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped, divided
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
3/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
freshly ground pepper to taste
4 hard cooked eggs, chopped
10 pitted green olives
10 pitted black olives
Directions
My changes:Soak the dried salted cod in cold water for 24 hours, changing the water several times.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the soaked cod, and boil for about 5 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove cod from water, and save water for cooking potatoes. Remove skin and bones from the cod, and flake the meat into pieces using a fork. Set fish aside in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, 1 clove of garlic, 1 tablespoon of parsley, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Pour over the fish, and toss lightly to coat.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place the potatoes into the fish water, and bring to a boil. Cook for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain under cool water, peel and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, and saute until golden and caramelized. Stir one clove of garlic into the onions. Set aside.
Layer half of the potato slices in the bottom of a greased 8x11 inch baking dish. Cover with half of the cod, then half of the onions. Repeat layers, ending with onion.
Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned. Before serving, garnish the top with green and black olives, and hard-cooked eggs. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Oh my!!!Wrap it twice in a plastic bag (like used store bag). Then place that in a garbage bag and securely place it in the outside trash.
Then make some cheese quesadillas or homemade mac and cheese or noodles with marinara sauce and cheese and enjoy!
![]()
Uh, no. I would have to disagree. I do not like fish, seafood, or anything of that nature.Oh my!!!
Cod is very good if you know how to prepare it and cook it. DELISH!!!![]()
Well then, nothing more to say is there. But, I have some inquiries…Uh, no. I would have to disagree. I do not like fish, seafood, or anything of that nature.
I do not like lobster, shrimp, shell fish, etc. Blech. Did you know there is nothing more disgusting in the world than week old lobster that has been sitting in a fridge? Nothing. Not even mouldy ground beef is more disgusting, and I have discovered that from time to time (with teenagers who cook at odd hours of the night, I have discovered many things in my fridge).
My DH “won” some lobster tails and prepared some for himself. He wanted the kids to try them, which they did. One DS kind of like them, the other 2 did not. I even had a taste, just in case my tastes had changed. They had not. My DH ate what he wanted, and then placed the rest in the fridge, vowing to eat the leftovers the next day. He did not. Guess who discovered the putrid container about a week later? I did not even try to rescue the plastic Tupperware container it was in.
Well then, nothing more to say is there. But, I have some inquiries…
Fish & shelfish must be prepared properly and cooked properly and it is DELISH and must be eaten with the same day or no more max the next day.
Um, NO. Fish and shellfish are definitely never “DELISH” in my book. Ever.
So mistake is leaving the lobster tails, or any other seafood in the fridge after cooking for 1 week is a no-no.
Well, duh! He cooked 4 tails on a Sunday, 3 were eaten, and he planned to finish the 4th on Monday. He did not. It got forgotten. A week later, I was cleaning out the fridge of all the unused leftover containers and discovered it.
It’s too bad yours sat in the fridge for 1 week. Perhaps your DH should stop cooking seafood.
He said it was fine when he cooked it. Like I said, it was forgotten (Leftovers do not get eaten very often at our house, even with kids.) Every weekend, I am dumping containers of leftovers.
If you care to please, how did DH prepare the “”“My DH “won” some lobster tails and prepared some for himself. “”” And did DH smell the “lobster tails” he “won” for freshness before cooking them???
They were frozen, and he baked/broiled them. He was in a football pool and placed some bets on the playoff games and won. The frozen lobster tails were the prize. They were supplied by a local restaurant, so they were quality.
The issue of smell was not of how he cooked them; it was because they sat in a container, untouched, for 1 week. Most of our leftovers sit in container, untouched, for a week! Yet, for some reason, we persist in saving leftovers…thinking that maybe this time we’ll eat them. Nope.
In fact, last night’s dinner was supposed to be leftovers. On Tuesday I had prepared a huge pot of tortilla soup that was DELISH, and on Wednesday, we had chicken cattiatori, which was also quite good. So for Thursday, I thought let’s have leftovers, so they are gone, since we can’t eat either on Friday. I had one bowl of tortilla soup, and everybody else made a PBJ or cooked up noodles with cheese.I can’t make them eat what they do not want, which is leftovers!
If you want to look this up on line, it is “roux”This is from a salty sailor who used to serve this in the mess,
make a rhu, then add milk,
add cod
serve on toast
He called it SOS, I’ll leave you you to find out what that stands for and if you agree with the analysis.