2
244Rocket
Guest
Praying to St. Dymphna for all suffering from mental illness.
I wonder how someone can tell if it is the devil or just a mental disease. I’ve been taking antidepresives for a long time and everything was fine, but just like a “silicone walking”, when I stopped the pills the anguish came back; that feeling that nothing makes sense and God doesn’t care and my efforts are useless. So am I suppose to live artificially for the rest of my life? or should I try to fight those temptations?The devil hides in the diagnosis of mental illness as to discredit your witness and thwart the help of the Church which will not get involved once this diagnosis is reached. Demonic oppression is a very real concern for the mentally ill, as he likes to be destructive while hidden, but manifesting to the victim so that they will try to fight him alone, which is a trap.
Yes He did. I call your wait “being in the garden” and have meditated deeply there during the rosary.My illness has also caused me to look at suffering. I would appreciate any feedback on this feeling of mine. But when Christ took on the sin of the world, didn’t he take on all of the effects of original sin.(if that is the way you put it.) He took on the act of sin but also sickness and death and all the ugliness that God had not intended for mankind. Is this faulty thinking? I gain comfort from the thought that my illness is on the cross and that Christ has already performed as the Physician in the Resurection . I wait for my suffering to be glorified in Christ at the end of time. But just as Christ died and suffered for the murderer as well as the victim he died for the tortured within me and the sinner. Let me know what you think. THanks
I’m sorry you have to deal with this. I didn’t mean that mental illness doesn’t afflict myself and others to some degree. But it has been my experience that the devil will try to magnify the situation. Combine that with the Holy Spirit given you guidance and you start to share what is going on with others, they think you are crazy. I was in the hospital 5 times in one year during spiritual attacks before I stopped being scared of the devils tactics. After I made the St. DeMontfort consecration to Jesus through Mary, the physical manifestations stopped. But, my Dr. was changing my meds during that time as well.I wonder how someone can tell if it is the devil or just a mental disease. I’ve been taking antidepresives for a long time and everything was fine, but just like a “silicone walking”, when I stopped the pills the anguish came back; that feeling that nothing makes sense and God doesn’t care and my efforts are useless. So am I suppose to live artificially for the rest of my life? or should I try to fight those temptations?
I prefer not to connect mental illness with demonic possession. It is achemically, physically based illness just like cancer and heart disease or anythinng else out there. If we even try to label it as minor demonic possession we end up ostracizing them and stigmatizing them which shouldn’t be done. Instead we need to give mental health patients the same equal health treatment for their condition as anyone else gets for theirs. Parity.I’m sorry you have to deal with this. I didn’t mean that mental illness doesn’t afflict myself and others to some degree. But it has been my experience that the devil will try to magnify the situation. Combine that with the Holy Spirit given you guidance and you start to share what is going on with others, they think you are crazy. I was in the hospital 5 times in one year during spiritual attacks before I stopped being scared of the devils tactics. After I made the St. DeMontfort consecration to Jesus through Mary, the physical manifestations stopped. But, my Dr. was changing my meds during that time as well.
Just recently I was taking off of geodon, a powerful antipsychotic. This was 3 days before I was to be a godfather to my nephew in a Byzantine church. I was very sick from withdrawals and even posted a prayer request on CAF concerning it. The day of the baptism , I felt fine. During the ritual and the Divine liturgy, the godparents go through a very thorough minor exorcism at the back of the church before the godparents and child approach the font. The font is placed in front of the iconostasis in which the altar is behind. It is quite a beatiful ceremony. Right after the baptism, we went downstairs and had a little celebration. The devil immediately started his attack when a family member that had too much wine verbally attacked me. That night, the anger and resentment in me started to brew. I fell the next day and I could almost here the devil saying "why should you serve? All the memories of every type of suffering I had been through flooded my thoughts and resentment grew. I am still on the road of reconciliation, but the temptations are almost overwhelming. I told my Dr. about the temptations and he put me back on a different med. This back and forth has been going on for over 3 years now. I know that I have had direct contact with the devil 3 times that I know of. This was after his scare tactics stopped working. He came unhidden, speaking in a regular voice. The Lord has withheld what he said to me except for one thing in particular which is between me and my confessor. So in the end, you could flip a coin as to if it is pure mental illness or spiritual warfare, but my faith tells me it is a war that has been taken place. Thanks for reading this, Tim
Good answer!I prefer not to connect mental illness with demonic possession. It is achemically, physically based illness just like cancer and heart disease or anythinng else out there. If we even try to label it as minor demonic possession we end up ostracizing them and stigmatizing them which shouldn’t be done. Instead we need to give mental health patients the same equal health treatment for their condition as anyone else gets for theirs. Parity.
I am sending a prayer your ways…What broke my heart was that I had my first inkling of my illness after I had entered my postulancy at a Cistercian monastery. I left due to my illness though on all sides it was not known at the time. We just thought the enviroment was too constrictive for me and that that is why I became paranoid there. Anyway my biggest heartbreak is that now with my bipolar diagnosis they won’t allow me to return. I have found that with many orders but did find two that might consider entrance from me.
Sometimes the person cannot know for sure what is taking place in the confusion that mental illness can be.So in the end, you could flip a coin as to if it is pure mental illness or spiritual warfare, but my faith tells me it is a war that has been taken place.
Kathrin:Originally Posted by onaquest forums.catholic-questions.org/images/buttons_cab/viewpost.gif
What broke my heart was that I had my first inkling of my illness after I had entered my postulancy at a Cistercian monastery. I left due to my illness though on all sides it was not known at the time. We just thought the enviroment was too constrictive for me and that that is why I became paranoid there. Anyway my biggest heartbreak is that now with my bipolar diagnosis they won’t allow me to return. I have found that with many orders but did find two that might consider entrance from me.
…I am sending a prayer your ways…
Try not to let it break your heart. remember that God works in mysterious ways. maybe for some reason you were not ready to enter that environment at that time?
…Something else I want to mention in this thread is that after I hit what may have been my very low and finally decided to take medication and started getting better… it felt like such a miracle that I actually felt blessed to have been through all those very bad times. Because now I was walking there, feeling sooo very blessed, being able to really really appreciate what other people may just take as normal.
Hi MG…I dont get your meaningPassionists, check out those people, wait there boys. I havent read posts. But idk if they have girl passionists.
I use to have a spiritual director, unfortunately he passed away last year and I have yet to find a new one. But I have decided to make it a priority.Spiritual Direction can help as well as therapy.
This is something that I really need to to. My routine really suffers during my bouts of depression, and I know it only makes me worse.I’ve found over the years that forcing myself to do my daily routine will help me get out of the mental health ‘downer’ faster and helps keep my life from spiraling into disaster.
I have heard similar things before, especially from my spiritual director. It is good to hear (rather, read) it again. Thank you for sharing that with me.She said that “spiritual dryness” can be a true gift from God. When we pray… under those circumstances… we must put forth a huge effort to do so (because we don’t “feel” anything); It then becomes an extremely valuable thing… because in our difficulty… we are saying to God… “I love You”. So, praying with spiritual dryness becomes proof of our love for God.
I was like… WOW! Mother went on to say, that we can even thank God for the gift of “spiritual dryness” because He is TRUSTING us with it. I had never thought of it… in this way. It really helped me, a lot. I hope it helps you, too. God bless.![]()
I also have that picture next to my bed, so it is the first and the last thing I see. That picture has always brought me comfort.I have a 8 x 10 print of this on my bedroom wall to remind me that we are not left alone in suffering and to know I can be with Him there.
What is so scary though is that when you are at your weakest and your looking for an answer to the torment. Your left grasping for reality and as we know reality is God, your delusions can take on the appearance of reality that feels as you experience it as being led by something or someone only it is so awful you can’t imagine it as God. I believe for me that it was the exquisite pain that comes from being held close to God. Mental illness molests your whole existence. Leaving you to wonder who is pulling the strings. That to me was the temptation to resist—believing that Satan was in charge.I prefer not to connect mental illness with demonic possession. It is achemically, physically based illness just like cancer and heart disease or anythinng else out there. If we even try to label it as minor demonic possession we end up ostracizing them and stigmatizing them which shouldn’t be done. Instead we need to give mental health patients the same equal health treatment for their condition as anyone else gets for theirs. Parity.
I also rely on the Rosary and Chaplet of Divine Mercy—In the midst of my torment I was led to praying 911 the Memorare , the Rosary and Divine Mercy. Even in the midst of not being able to trust my own mind, my own prayer impulses, I suffered delusions of being sexually molested by at least twenty people that did not hurt me,I could trust the words of prayer given to me by the church.I have also have mental health issues that are at times pretty debilitating.
And yes, it is a problem spiritually. The sense of connection to the Spirit that I have at ‘up’ times feels completely absent during ‘down’ times.
The only thing that works for me when I get in that spot (and I am in it right now) is to keep doing what I am supposed to do even though I don’t want to and it doesn’t feel like it is working.
As far as family life that means doing my daily chores and routine even though I don’t want to do that at all.
In my Christian life that means praying the Rosary and Chaplet of Divine Mercy every day and attending Mass as usual. Even when it feels like it isn’t working, when it feels like I am completely cut off from God and the whole thing is pointless.
I’ve found over the years that forcing myself to do my daily routine will help me get out of the mental health ‘downer’ faster and helps keep my life from spiraling into disaster.
Hope this helps, and I will keep you in my prayers.
Yes–As though a veil had been lifted. I try to appreciate that I live on both sides of sides of sanity and I am humbled by those that are still living in the torment whether it be MI or addiction.I am sending a prayer your ways…
Try not to let it break your heart. remember that God works in mysterious ways. maybe for some reason you were not ready to enter that environment at that time?
Something else I want to mention in this thread is that after I hit what may have been my very low and finally decided to take medication and started getting better… it felt like such a miracle that I actually felt blessed to have been through all those very bad times. Because now I was walking there, feeling sooo very blessed, being able to really really appreciate what other people may just take as normal.
Kathrin