Does anyone have problems with concentration at Mass?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brooklyn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could go to daily Mass but since I work night shift I sleep during the day and then get up and get ready for work. When I go to Sunday Mass, I go to the “Family Mass” with my 5 and 7 year old and my wife. I have a lot of distractions. Starting with my kids and everyone elses kids! LOL! I try my best though!
 
I had a problem with wandering eyes. I would look all around Church to see who was there, what was happening, everything. Then I started closing my eyes during the Consecration. A big tip I can tell you is to focus on the cross. There should be a crucifix or some sort of Jesus at the front of the Church. Stare at it, focus on it. It helps your mind stay on Him.

-Jeanne
** A big tip I can tell you is to focus on the cross. There should be a crucifix or some sort of Jesus at the front of the Church. Stare at it, focus on it. It helps your mind stay on Him.**
I find looking at the huge crucifix on the back Sanctuary wall a great help to maintain focus.

**For the last twenty five years or more I have always sat in the last pew near the Main Entrance of the Church. I suppose I could choose a better seat since I’m usually at Mass a half hour before Mass. Not really sure why I choose the habit of the furthest pew from the front of the Church. Sometimes my mind has wondered off thinking if it’s pride that I prefer the the back pew as opposed to sitting in the front. Crazy thinking I guess. Maybe I just like seeing the elderly getting a better seat. **
 
differentiate between inattentiveness or non-participation, and deeper more contemplative prayer with and in the Mass. Especially older people get into the latter more easily so be kind if we appear to be sleeping (you can nudge us if we snore) but sometimes when you think you are zoning out, you are actually internalizing what you see and hear more deeply.

My advice is going to be the opposite what you will hear from many others with good knowledge and experience. Yes a missal is helpful for newcomers, but once you know the order of the Mass, and only have to refer to it occasionally for help with the prayers and responses, put it down. Look and listen, really, with all your senses. Focus on the altar and ignore insofar as possible crying babies, choking perfumes, coughing, chattering teens, ringing cellphones, and the like. Sit where you can both see and hear. If that means coming early, spend the time with the readings before Mass so you don’t need the book, you can listen to the proclamation.

But listen not just to the readings but to all the prayers. Even if that slows you down on the responses, listen. Resolve to listen especially to the Eucharistic prayers which are so rich in conveying what the Church believes and teaches. Listen to those “throw away prayers” the ones in between the singing and readings and other action, the collect and communion prayers especially, which set the mode and theme for the day. Just listen. When your attention wanders, don’t assume you were off making shopping lists or planning tomorrow’s work, just return to the drama on the altar and listen.

my problem goes the other way, I have to be so attentive when we have first communions, RCIA rites etc., watching the behavior of teens, that I can’t “enjoy” Mass and never feel I am fully participating. I felt this way when I sang in the choir, too. So I usually go to another Mass in a another parish where I am not “on”.
 
Also, as long as you’re not taking seats reserved for the elderly or handicapped, it’s helped me before to sit in the very front row or as close to it as possible. Helps you ignore the distractions behind you.

Conversely, sometimes I’ll just sit in the Narthex and avoid the distractions and hyper-vigilant ushers altogether.
 
Puzzleannie has given great advice (as usual!) Especially the point about the “throw-away prayers”. There is also a brief period after communion when everyone including the priest sits. I think many people view this as an opportunity to gather their belongings and get their car keys out, but our pastor has on occassion started to pray - out loud - a spontaneous prayer of thanksgiving…“At this time, we thank God for His gift of Himself…In the silence of our hearts, let us take this time to thank Him for the ways that He works in our lives…” or some such thing, to let people know this is a time of prayer, not intermission.

I find closing my eyes helpful in blocking out distractions - like the guy in front of me digging in his ear.

There have been times, too, when I have confessed being distracted at Mass. Maybe not one of your more serious sins, but I have found when I give something like that to Jesus in confession, I receive the grace to fight it.

Your mileage may vary.
 
I find looking at the huge crucifix on the back Sanctuary wall a great help to maintain focus.

**For the last twenty five years or more I have always sat in the last pew near the Main Entrance of the Church. I suppose I could choose a better seat since I’m usually at Mass a half hour before Mass. Not really sure why I choose the habit of the furthest pew from the front of the Church. Sometimes my mind has wondered off thinking if it’s pride that I prefer the the back pew as opposed to sitting in the front. Crazy thinking I guess. Maybe I just like seeing the elderly getting a better seat. **
I don’t like sitting in the front either. Sometimes I go to Church with my granny, and she has to sit in the front because she has a walker. But it just makes me feel uncomfortable. At my Church, there is a little 3 person seat in the back. I really like that one.

-Jeanne
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top