Does Anyone Read Anything Anymore?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SouthernBelle00
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SouthernBelle00

Guest
I keep hearing reports of how print media is drying up and how everyone is going digital these days. Does anyone read actual magazines or books anymore, or do most people read digital mags or ebooks these days?

I love curling up with a good PRINT book or magazine but I do often read digital mags and books as well.
 
I do I actually prefer print media. I’m hold school though. I see a day when not having the internet will be akin to being not being able to read.
 
I am 17 and I like my books in print. In fact, I cannot read a book on a tablet to completion, the screen hurts my eyes after a while and I have a shorter extension span with them. By the way, is the going digital the reason why books are ridiculously expensive or was it always like that?
 
I still enjoy curling up with the feel of a good book in my hands. I guess I’m old school too.
 
I love to read and I use both. If it was possible I would always have the book to hold in my hand but I am grateful for my Kindle app when it isn’t possible.
 
I am 17 and I like my books in print. In fact, I cannot read a book on a tablet to completion, the screen hurts my eyes after a while and I have a shorter extension span with them. By the way, is the going digital the reason why books are ridiculously expensive or was it always like that?
It’s not always been like that, but prices were high and getting higher even before the advent of the e-reader. If anything, I think book prices have more or less stabilized over the past 10 years.

I have a hard time reading books on electronic devices, too. Reading articles (or CAF :p) is nice to do electronically. But to read a whole book? I’ve have a hard time with that.

I keep waiting for Amazon to come out with a full color e-Reader that also employs their e-ink technology. I would consider getting one of those. I have so many print books, though, that it would be hard to justify the cost, though.
 
I love reading and prefer print books over e-books any day. I tend to avoid e-books unless necessary.

Pax
 
I, too, like print books. I even have a small library in my dorm room: Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion, the complete works of Sophocles, a good old fashioned print dictionary, the Ignatius Bible, the Catechism, and Christian Prayer. That said, I’m not completely opposed to e-books any more. I have three textbooks (one for class, then Wheelock and an Italian book for private study) and an assortment of public domain books on Kindle. (Using Amazon’s web reader)

My collection of e-books, by the way. The Vulgate, the complete works of Shakespeare, Les Misérables, Pride and Prejudice, the Ignatius Study NT, the complete Sherlock Holmes, and the Summa Theologica.
 
I keep hearing reports of how print media is drying up and how everyone is going digital these days. Does anyone read actual magazines or books anymore, or do most people read digital mags or ebooks these days?

I love curling up with a good PRINT book or magazine but I do often read digital mags and books as well.
I do read digital books when there is no alternative…but until an electrinic implement can emulate the feeling of physically holding a newly purchased book, and flicking through the pages with mounting excitement…I will always prefet a real book.
 
I keep hearing reports of how print media is drying up and how everyone is going digital these days. Does anyone read actual magazines or books anymore, or do most people read digital mags or ebooks these days?

I love curling up with a good PRINT book or magazine but I do often read digital mags and books as well.
I do read digital books when there is no alternative…but until an electrinic implement can emulate the feeling of physically holding a newly purchased book, and flicking through the pages with mounting excitement…I will always prefet a real book.
 
It depends on what it is.

I have a daily newspaper delivered to my house, every day. So, I read a printed newspaper.

But I also own a Kindle. And I read most of my books on that.

I worried about missing the feel of a real book. But it isn’t a problem for me. 🤷

I still read “real” books. But they are more expensive and I can only buy them when stores are open. Ebooks I can download at any time.
 
The one nice thing about e-readers is that they take up a lot less shelf space. If I could wave a magic wand and turn all my books into digital books that I could hold simultaneously in the palm of my hand, I think I’d probably go for it. I have way too many books. :o
 
Ordinarily, I love print books. I have a lot of them. When I move, while I’m moving, I really HATE print books. 🙂 They grow to enormous size when you take them out of their shelves and try to put them in boxes. But the rest of the time I love print books. I have yet to have one of them run out of power while I’m reading it. 😃

I do have some books on my iPad, for travel mostly, and because you can get a lot of classic books free or nearly free. My collection looks a lot like Razanir’s, with the addition of some Dickens, more Austen, and some Kipling.

I find that recently print books have gotten more expensive in a way, as a lot of books that would previously have come out in regular paperback are only being released in trade paperback, which is larger (and therefore more of a pain to find room for) and more expensive. But they’ve been pretty expensive anyway, as long as I can remember.

–Jen
 
Depends what I’m reading. Articles and shorter things of that nature, I’d rather read on a computer. Something that is very long, I’d rather it be printed.
 
I keep hearing reports of how print media is drying up and how everyone is going digital these days. Does anyone read actual magazines or books anymore, or do most people read digital mags or ebooks these days?

I love curling up with a good PRINT book or magazine but I do often read digital mags and books as well.
The only thing I don’t read on my kindle is the Daily Office and my Missal but I digital copies of both just in case
 
It depends on what it is.

I have a daily newspaper delivered to my house, every day. So, I read a printed newspaper.

But I also own a Kindle. And I read most of my books on that.

I worried about missing the feel of a real book. But it isn’t a problem for me. 🤷

I still read “real” books. But they are more expensive and I can only buy them when stores are open. Ebooks I can download at any time.
I have my daily newspaper delivered to my kindle.
 
I am 17 and I like my books in print. In fact, I cannot read a book on a tablet to completion, the screen hurts my eyes after a while and I have a shorter extension span with them. By the way, is the going digital the reason why books are ridiculously expensive or was it always like that?
A Kindle e-reader doesn’t hurt the eyes. Just FYI.

To answer the OP: I tend to buy e-books if they are available just because of space/storage issues. However if I am interested in a book and it’s only available in print I will buy it. I also much prefer print when it comes to poetry or reference books.
 
I prefer real books and magazines. Someday, I might get an e-reader. Looking at my library of actual books, I can see several advantages: E-books do not collect dust, and silverfish do not eat them.
 
A Kindle e-reader doesn’t hurt the eyes. Just FYI.

To answer the OP: I tend to buy e-books if they are available just because of space/storage issues. However if I am interested in a book and it’s only available in print I will buy it. I also much prefer print when it comes to poetry or reference books.
I prefer my ereader because at the click of a mouse I can jump from my book to how bad the Astros are losing
 
I prefer to read newspapers and magazines on paper, but love my kindle for books.

My bookshelves were overflowing until I did a serious culling a few months ago. I literally did not have room for any more books. I can store hundreds on my Kindle. I used to take a box of books on vacation because DH, DD, and I read one a day. Now we each bring our small Kindle. I download every book to my iPad, smart phone, and DH’s Kindle. We can both read the same book at the same time, and if I get stuck waiting somewhere, I can just use my phone to pick up my current book where I am reading it.

I thought I would miss paper books, but I really don’t.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top