Does attending mass on Saturday fulfill your obligation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter joshkt79
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joshkt79

Guest
If not, I see a TON of people sinning because Saturday mass is packed while Sunday masses have very few people. Someone enlighten me.
 
If not, I see a TON of people sinning because Saturday mass is packed while Sunday masses have very few people. Someone enlighten me.
Yes, the Saturday vigil mass fulfills the Sunday obligation.
 
Thanks, did not know that. I’ve always thought you HAD to go to church on Sunday unless you were working.
Glad to help! The source for this answer can be found in Canon Law 1248:

Can. 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.
 
Thanks, did not know that. I’ve always thought you HAD to go to church on Sunday unless you were working.
You can attend Mass on Saturday evening for any reason whatsoever, even if just for convenience or plain preference. This fulfills your Sunday obligation.
 
The Vigil Mass on Saturday fulfills the Sunday obligation, but the morning Mass does not. 👍
 
To clarify - a SATURDAY morning Mass would not. 🙂
Ah see, I don’t know how many people go to the Saturday afternoon/evening mass, but Saturday morning mass is packed. Football season hasn’t even started people! 😃
 
To clarify - a SATURDAY morning Mass would not. 🙂
I once had someone argue quite strongly (without knowing the ruling but emphasizing the Keeping the LORD’S DAY Holy part of things) that my going to mass on Saturday night instead of Sunday was not the same and I’d have to do it again.

The mass being at 5:30 PST in California, I noted that it was 2:30 AM Sunday in the Vatican.

And that Catholics in Australia were going to mass at the same moment on the planet … but it was Sunday Morning there! 😉
 
In addition to the quotes from canon law, you can just ask yourself, would parishes schedule Saturday evening Masses on a regular basis if attending them instead of Sunday Masses were sinful? NO!
 
In addition to the quotes from canon law, you can just ask yourself, would parishes schedule Saturday evening Masses on a regular basis if attending them instead of Sunday Masses were sinful? NO!
The fact that the readings are the Sunday readings should be an indication that you are attending Sunday mass and not the Saturday daily mass. This should also be an indication for folks thinking that Saturday morning counts as Sunday (I’ve never heard of anybody making that mistake though).
 
The fact that the readings are the Sunday readings should be an indication that you are attending Sunday mass and not the Saturday daily mass. This should also be an indication for folks thinking that Saturday morning counts as Sunday (I’ve never heard of anybody making that mistake though).
True, and it’s indeed a good indicator. However, readings have nothing to do with it. It could be a funeral Mass or wedding Mass, a Mass of the ordinary of extraordinary forms using the texts for Saturday or a Byzantine Rite Divine Liturgy in an Eastern Catholic church. For as long as it’s in the evening of Saturday and it’s a Catholic Eucharistic Liturgy, at the time accepted for anticipated Masses, you fulfill your obligation.
 
If not, I see a TON of people sinning because Saturday mass is packed while Sunday masses have very few people. Someone enlighten me.
Not in my parish. We have 10 Masses every Sunday to be able to accommodate everyone and even then there is spillover onto the streets.
 
Not in my parish. We have 10 Masses every Sunday to be able to accommodate everyone and even then there is spillover onto the streets.
You’re probably referring to a different church, most likely, but you might as well be describing Sto. Rosario parish church in Cebu City…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top