Does dying a noble death negate mortal sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter Riman643
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Riman643

So for instance a Catholic has committed mortal sin and hasn’t been to confession. However, a terrible incident occurs where the Catholic is abducted by anti-Catholic bigots and they say “Renounce Christ or we will stone you to death!” The Catholic says no and is then stoned to death.

They died sacrificing themselves for the Lord but also died with mortal sin. What happens to their soul?

Last edited:
Well the good thief on the cross repented within the literal last hour or two of his life. In your scenario, it is implied that the person repents of his mortal sin.

Only God knows our hearts, and the things that go through our mind in the last moments of our lives.

Further, we can’t ever really “know” who’s in a state of mortal sin to begin with, and candidly, I don’t want to speculate as to others; I have enough trouble with myself. So although this may be an intellectually interesting exercise, at some level I respectfully think it’s kind of counterproductive.

Willing martyrdom counts (for the unbaptised) as the Baptism of Blood. Why would it not also save the repentant?

I think this would count as an act of perfect contrition. The person is willingly dying for Christ.
I’ve always wondered about this myself — “is someone who is in mortal sin, yet gives his life for the Faith, forgiven of that sin by his martyrdom?”.

I’d like to think so, but logically, the two things don’t go together. Conceivably, you could give your life for the Faith, while at the same time having attachment to a certain mortal sin that you just can’t quite shake off yet. It won’t be an issue going forward, because you will be dead and no longer able to commit the sin. But on the other hand, strictly speaking, you didn’t explicitly repent of that sin.

Hard to say. The easy answer is not to commit the mortal sin in the first place.

I don’t know whether there is a Catholic teaching that would cover a case such as this. My personal opinion about G-d is that the mortal sin would be negated since His mercy outweighs His justice in such an instance.

I understand that. I do think that if a person gives their life for Christ then they must have a lot of trust in God. An act of perfect contrition is an act of contrition made for love of God rather than fear of hell. I would think that someone who willingly accepts death for Christ must love him so much if they are courageous enough to do that.

I understand that. I do think that if a person gives their life for Christ then they must have a lot of trust in God. An act of perfect contrition is an act of contrition made for love of God rather than fear of hell. I would think that someone who willingly accepts death for Christ must love him so much if they are courageous enough to do that.
I certainly hope so.

But I can foresee a situation where it would be easier for a person to give their life for Christ, than it would be for them to commit a sin to which they are attached. They might think “well, I wouldn’t be ready to quit committing that sin if I were going to live, but I’m going to die, so it’s not a problem anymore”.

Hard to say.

So for instance a Catholic has committed mortal sin and hasn’t been to confession. However, a terrible incident occurs where the Catholic is abducted by anti-Catholic bigots and they say “Renounce Christ or we will stone you to death!” The Catholic says no and is then stoned to death.

They died sacrificing themselves for the Lord but also died with mortal sin. What happens to their soul?
One that dies without sanctifying grace is destined for hell. The correct question is was there repentance such that sanctifying grace was restored?

Last edited:
As I read Thomas, only an act of the infused theological virtue of charity toward our Lord ‘I AM’ merits eternal life.
His mercy forgives the contrite penitant, and grants his Spirit; then his justice recognizes love, charity, as our reciprocation of his Love; and eternally we participate with Him in back and forth giving our whole being, He and We, into each other. Justice: equivalent giving the whole being into the beloved to have all of the giver.

Someone who dies a martyr’s death for refusing to renounce Christ has de facto repented of any mortal sin.
“Mortal sin” by definition is willfully separating yourself from God. Choosing to die for Christ is willfully joining yourself to God. You can’t be separated and joined at the same time.

Further, we can’t ever really “know” who’s in a state of mortal sin to begin with, and candidly, I don’t want to speculate as to others; I have enough trouble with myself. So although this may be an intellectually interesting exercise, at some level I respectfully think it’s kind of counterproductive.
I agree. The person dying for Christ might have been in mortal sin and had a sudden road-to-Damascus conversion moment just before he refused to renounce Christ and was martyred. Or he might have never been in mortal sin at all. Many people commit grave sins in some sort of state of confusion and the intention element might well be lacking. I trust God to sort this all out, also I trust that he will never abandon anyone who truly wants to be with him even if that person messed up in their behavior in many ways.

Yes. As a very wise man once told me in a slightly different context, God has a place for all who sincerely desire to know him and to be with him.

Laying down your life for another or others is what you mean. Emulating Christ - its the greatest act a human being can perform.

Yes, what you are referring to is called “Martyrdom” and in fact is a cause for canonization of an individual.

Does the Church believe that Gd Himself must categorically act according to His own rules of justice, or can His mercy override his own rules in certain circumstances? Even in human law, there are mitigating circumstances, so might it not be even more so in divine law?

Last edited:
Does the Church believe that Gd Himself must categorically act according to His own rules of justice, or can His mercy override his own rules in certain circumstances? Even in human law, there are mitigating circumstances, so might it not be even more so in divine law?
God is omnipotent in doing good, but can do no moral evil. God is the first origin of goodness and defects are mercifully taken away only by the perfection of some goodness. Those that will not be morally good cannot be perfected because the good is rejected.

Catechism of the Catholic Church
1864 “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.”1 There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit.2 Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.
1 Mt 12:31; cf. Mk 3:29; Lk 12:10.
2 Cf. John Paul II, DeV 46.

Let’s say there is this soldier. He has committed a mortal sin, has not been to confession, and is in no hurry to go to confession and/or is indifferent about going.

Then one day during a battle this soldier throws himself on a live grenade to save the life of his comrades. What about his salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back