Does dying a noble death negate mortal sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter Riman643
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only God knows. But martyrdom is a grace that comes from God. If He gives the martyr such a grace, He’ll probably be also giving him the grace of a perfect repentance.

So for instance a Catholic has committed mortal sin and hasn’t been to confession. However, a terrible incident occurs where the Catholic is abducted by anti-Catholic bigots and they say “Renounce Christ or we will stone you to death!” The Catholic says no and is then stoned to death.

They died sacrificing themselves for the Lord but also died with mortal sin. What happens to their soul?
You are saved by grace through faith. Did this person retain their faith?

I’d like to think so, but logically, the two things don’t go together. Conceivably, you could give your life for the Faith, while at the same time having attachment to a certain mortal sin that you just can’t quite shake off yet
I would say in that case you are saved because you’re a martyr: but you might spend time in Purgatory ridding yourself of the remaining stain of sin.
You are saved by grace through faith. Did this person retain their faith?
Also this.

Last edited:
There is anecdotal evidence that says that that heroic death can be their salvation.

At this point I’m reminded of some of the 9/11 hijackers. According to the commonly accepted backstory of the hijackings, some of the terrorists consorted with prostitutes the night before they flew the planes into the WTC. I supposed they reasoned that any sins, assuming they viewed this as sin, would be washed away by their martyrdom for Allah.

May the Triune God have mercy on their wretched souls, and on mine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back