C
Cachonga
Guest
This is a takeoff of another discussion that was going into how (what the Catholic Churchhas dogmatically declared to be) God-breathed Scripture contradicts history (specifically in regard to the Book of Judith). I thought that maybe, by changing the the topic a bit, I might (hopefully) get some better responses.
Now to the question - Does God-breathed Scripture contradict itself? Compare 2 Kings 24:1 (“In his days** Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon **came up, and Jehoiakim became his servant three years; then he turned and rebelled against him.” RSV emphasis mine) with Judith 1:1 (“It was the twelfth year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar, king of the Assyriansin the great city of Nineveh. At that time Arphaxad ruled over the Medes in Ecbatana.” NAB emphasis mine). Where did Nebuchadnezzar reign - Assyria or Babylon? If this is not a contradiction, please explain why not? I would greatly appreciate the official explanation offered by the Roman Catholic Church, if one has ever been given. If there is no official explanation, then please include how you know your explanation is (to use a term I hear a lot from Catholics) infallible (or at least why your interpretation should be accepted). Keep in mind, I do not accept the argument “Because the Church says so”.
Now to the question - Does God-breathed Scripture contradict itself? Compare 2 Kings 24:1 (“In his days** Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon **came up, and Jehoiakim became his servant three years; then he turned and rebelled against him.” RSV emphasis mine) with Judith 1:1 (“It was the twelfth year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar, king of the Assyriansin the great city of Nineveh. At that time Arphaxad ruled over the Medes in Ecbatana.” NAB emphasis mine). Where did Nebuchadnezzar reign - Assyria or Babylon? If this is not a contradiction, please explain why not? I would greatly appreciate the official explanation offered by the Roman Catholic Church, if one has ever been given. If there is no official explanation, then please include how you know your explanation is (to use a term I hear a lot from Catholics) infallible (or at least why your interpretation should be accepted). Keep in mind, I do not accept the argument “Because the Church says so”.