As for someone wholesalely tossing the Old Testament in favor of being a “New Testament people,” I wonder does she cover her ears at Church when they read the reading from the Old Testament and refrain from repeating any Psalms or their Antiphons?
Wow! I must say I don’t even recognize what I said from your description. Yikes!
First, I mentioned in the very first sentence of my response that the OT is equally inspired. That means it is absolutely valid and infallible. It is exceptionally beautiful and I am particularly fond of Psalms. Nowhere do I say anything to belittle the importance of the OT.
That being said, I stand by the fact that we are a New Testament people, living out the New Covenant based upon the Good News of Christ. The Old Testament was a precursor of the New. It is a story of God’s preparation of His people. He was readying them for the arrival of His Son. It is to be interpreted in this light in addition to its own unique value,
The Old Testament
121
The Old Testament is an indispensable part of Sacred Scripture. Its books are divinely inspired and retain a permanent value,92 for the Old Covenant has never been revoked.
122 Indeed, **“the economy of the Old Testament was deliberately so oriented that it should prepare for and declare in prophecy the coming of Christ, redeemer of all men.”**93 "Even though they contain matters imperfect and provisional,"94 the books of the Old Testament bear witness to the whole divine pedagogy of God’s saving love: these writings "are a storehouse of sublime teaching on God and of sound wisdom on human life, as well as a wonderful treasury of prayers; in them, too, the mystery of our salvation is present in a hidden way."95
123 Christians venerate the Old Testament as true Word of God.
The Church has always vigorously opposed the idea of rejecting the Old Testament under the pretext that the New has rendered it void (Marcionism).
The New Testament
124 "The Word of God, which is the power of God for salvation to everyone who has faith, is set forth and displays its power in a most wonderful way in the writings of the New Testament"96 which
hand on the ultimate truth of God’s Revelation. Their central object is Jesus Christ, God’s incarnate Son: his acts, teachings, Passion and glorification, and his Church’s beginnings under the Spirit’s guidance.97
125 The Gospels are the heart of all the Scriptures “because they are our principal source for the life and teaching of the Incarnate Word, our Savior”.98
The question is valid and there are Scriptural references to God’s hatred.
Yes, it is valid. Yes, there are references to God’s hatred. But, we must read scripture in the light of the times in which it was written, the genre of the writing, the full context within scripture, and the intended message.
If you read the note from the NABRE which I included in my post, you will see that the Semitic use of the word “hate”, is different from our usage of the word. In their case it meant “less loved”. In the reading from Romans which was referenced, it expresses that God preferred Jacob over Esau. This was unique because Esau was the eldest and culturally “should have been” the favored one according to their traditions. It reminds us that God’s ways are not our ways.
Here is a related verse from the OT:
Malachi1:3
Was not Esau Jacob’s brother?—oracle of the LORD.
I loved Jacob, but rejected Esau;
I made his mountains a waste,
his heritage a desert for jackals.
So, don’t discount those words because they fly in the face of the God of Hallmark cards who loves everyone!
I truly don’t. The Old Testament is essential to our understanding of the New. But both are focused towards the great gift of God’s Son and the Good News.
I agree that it’s an incorrect reading of scripture to view God as loving to the exclusion of the teachings of God’s justice. We must always be mindful that God’s mercy is only one aspect of His love for us. Justice is another. This understanding is necessary to inspire us with the very necessary “Fear of the Lord” so that we might work to become more and more an imitation of His Son.