Does God Punish?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nightfly
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nightfly

Guest
I never hear this from people or in church. However, when I have read the bible I have read that God punishes people who are impure, have bad thoughts, and sin. It was unusual in that 3-4 nights in a row I read of a God who punishes sinners. I am a sinner, maybe more than most, I don’t know. It left a bad taste but it makes sense. Maybe I need to be fearful and try to be perfect, I don’t know. Right now my God is one who gives but will take away and this is not what I want…
 
I never hear this from people or in church. However, when I have read the bible I have read that God punishes people who are impure, have bad thoughts, and sin. It was unusual in that 3-4 nights in a row I read of a God who punishes sinners. I am a sinner, maybe more than most, I don’t know. It left a bad taste but it makes sense. Maybe I need to be fearful and try to be perfect, I don’t know. Right now my God is one who gives but will take away and this is not what I want…
Well, God is both mercy AND justice. Punishment, as a consequence of sin, is only natural; after all, what would happen if criminals are never sent to jail or kids who misbehave in school are never set off with a stern warning or sent to detention?

Don’t worry though. I think I’m much more of a sinner in need of God’s mercy than you…we all are. You’re not alone. 😉
 
I never hear this from people or in church. However, when I have read the bible I have read that God punishes people who are impure, have bad thoughts, and sin. It was unusual in that 3-4 nights in a row I read of a God who punishes sinners. I am a sinner, maybe more than most, I don’t know. It left a bad taste but it makes sense. Maybe I need to be fearful and try to be perfect, I don’t know. Right now my God is one who gives but will take away and this is not what I want…
This crime and punishment view of God is intuitive; however, if one reads scripture in a canonical way, that is reading scripture in the context of the entire bible, one discovers that God’s punishment changes to an act of mercy. Another area to consider is that this relationship with God is communal. One is part of a mystical body of Christ and it is when one steps outside of that communion that one is most likely to feel the pain of separation from God’s communion. Sin is akin to Adam and Eve taking those first few steps outside of Eden. It must have been awful knowing they could not return. We have a leg up on our first parents in that God in His love for us gave us a way back into His communion…that of course being Our Lord Jesus Christ and the sacraments He instituted within His Church.
 
We are all sinners. The only perfect Man was Jesus Christ. And, remember that He died for our sins. As long as you are trying to do as He would want, He understands that there are times when we slip. That’s only part of being human.
 
I think he punishes sometimes; there are plenty of examples in the Bible.

But I don’t think He follows us around making lists of our sins just so He can punish us. (That’s the God my mother was raised with. No wonder she became an agnostic!)

I think David is right that God’s punishment turns into acts of mercy.

I led a terribly sinful life before I came to the Church. There are some who might say that my fibromyalgia and chronic depression are God’s punishments for my sins. I don’t believe it.

My sins have been forgiven in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. That’s taken care of. I doubt that there’s enough time left for me to fully atone for them. However, I have this suffering, which I offer up to God to use to help others. Maybe that makes up for it.

Did He give it to me for this purpose? I don’t know. But it’s a mercy, as it gives me a way out of some, or all, future suffering in Purgatory, which I well deserve. So, even when I grumble about it, I can still be grateful.

Thank You, Lord, for your tender mercies. :love:

Ruthie
 
When you die, you are accountable for what you have done on earth, so, in essence, you know God’s rules and if they are disobeyed, yes, you will be punished on Judgment Day. It will either be purgatory or hell, but you should understand that God is not sending you to those places, you yourself have because of what you did. Even whwen we go to confession, our sins are forgiven and forgotten and takes the guilt away. It does not take the punishment away from the sins you have committed. So, when you die, we all have to suffer for the punishment due to sin. This punishment can be lessened due to prayers, the Rosary, visits to the Blessed Sacrament, going to church and receiving the Body and Blood of Christ. If you break your mother’s favorite dish and say, I’m sorry, do you think she will stop at that. To make up for what you did, you would have to replace it or give her some money towards another one. Please understand that God is a merciful and loving God. He loves us unconditionally. He doesn’t punish us, we punish ourselves by what we have done during our lifetime here on earth. Be at peace and may God bless you.
 
I know He’s punishing me for my sinfulness. I never catch any fish on fishing trips!
 
I do not quite understand your statement: “…my God is one who gives but will take away and this is not what I want.” Can you expound on your statement for clarification?

God does not work in that way. The essential element is our response to your statements–maybe this will bring you closer to God and to His Son.
Do we invite to share in our burdens? It is an invitation, not a punishment, to share in the cross of Jesus Christ-his death on the cross was not punishment but an act of love.

You are punishing yourself by what you do. The only way God would punish you if you were to die in mortal sin and only than, it is, in essence, that you did not follow his commandments. If he were to send you to purgatory, who’s fault would that be? If you did something to irritate your mother and she punished you for that, is it your mother’s fault?

Christ had to suffer for us in order for us to be saved, so what is a little suffering for you to do? Look how Christ was punished, than, look at your concepts which are nothing in comparing what Christ went through.
 
I do not understand most of this. When speaking of God punishing my priest said “thet’s not how it works. God does not punish us.”…this was about a year ago when i was in deep grief over the loss of my husband. I cannot remember his reasoning after he said that, or even what he said.
He did have an answer i accepted at the time.
Can anyone clarify for me what does happen when good people who try to follow Christ, have horrible things happen to them?
M.
 
Since this is a place for Sacred Scripture I thought I would write some, Jesus said go and sin no more or something worse may happen to you, then he said that much love covers a multiude of sin.

By your words you shall be justifed by your words you shall be condemend a good tree bears good fruit while a bad tree bears bad fruit. Out of the mouth speak forth the words of the heart.

Grace and Peace
 
St Chrysostom said: " The floor of hell is paved with the skulls of erring bishops". There are some God’s punishments in the Bible: " And it shall be : " Like people, like priest.
So I will punish them for their ways, And reward them for their deeds" Hosea 4:9. Our Catholic Catechism show us there are 3 places: Heaven, Purgatory& Hell.
I believe in the Forgiveness of sins but I also believe in God’s punishments for our sins. God belongs to Love and Mercy but he also agrees to let Satan test us. In the Book of Job, Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord & smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown. The punishments of the fire & Satan in Hell showed us a terrible place for our mortal sins forever. We contrite our hearts and please with the Lord instead of asking Christ for his Forgiveness. We love the Lord we keep his 10 commandments and never break any so we will not be burnt in Hell. Remember: " And he who does not take his cross & follow after me is not worthy of me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for my sake will find it" Matthew 10: 38,39.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top