E
eagle_eye222001
Guest
“He that hears you hears me: and he that despises you despises me: and he that despises me despises him that sent me.”I try very hard to be a faithful Catholic. Having said that, I ALWAYS struggle with the question: Does God really care about XYZ?
Does God really care if I go to confession? Does God really care if I pray the Rosary? Doesn’t God already know what I want and need? Doesn’t he already know if I am grateful and appreciative?
This world is so complex and beautiful. Science has come so far. Does the God that created all the wonderful, complicated, miraculous things on this planet REALLY care if I attend a Catholic church or a Protestant one? He seems a bit above all the pomp and circumstance.
Does God really care if I use birth control instead of NFP? Both are 98% effective when used properly, and both have the same result. It seems a little arcane to think that God cares about such things, although I still adhere to Church Law while I am trying to figure this out. It just doesn’t make sense that a God who stands by while children die of diahreah and starvation in sub-Saharan Africa is really concerned about how many kids I have or whether or not I’ve committed the sin of lust. Seems like there are more pressing issues.
I always wonder, too, when people say, “God is so good - our loan came through and we’re going to buy the house we want!” or “God answered our prayers and made our car last another year!” or “I prayed for reconciliation with my dad and it was achieved!” Does that mean all the women praying for the lives of their suffering children in third-world countries aren’t listened to by God? Why is God concerned about some actor winning an Academy Award, but not a 13-year-old mother who is giving birth to a stillborn in a grass hut? Does God only answer certain prayers? Does he really care about the minutia of my life when so many are suffering beyond my comprehension???
Luke 10:16
If Christ’s Church cares about certain teachings, It is safe to understand that God cares about it as well. We may not fully understand why, but His ways are mysterious to us, and we can only apply a human mind to the works of an Infinite Being.
17 And when he had gone forth into the way, a certain man, running up and kneeling before him, asked him: Good Master, what shall I do that I may receive life everlasting? 18 And Jesus said to him: Why do you call me good? None is good but one, that is God. 19 You know the commandments…But he answering, said to him: Master, all these things I have observed from my youth. 21 And Jesus, looking on him, loved him and said to him: One thing is wanting unto you. Go, sell whatsoever you have and give to the poor: and you shall have treasure in heaven. And come, follow me.
Mark 10:17-21
Jesus cares that we follow the commandments. Entrusting His Church with an infallible guidance in faith and morals, I again believe God cares that we follow His Church…for the Teachings of His Church reflect on how to properly live out our love for God.
However following such teachings with a listless heart, we are still missing the faith part of it…for when we follow the teachings of His Church, we should do so with faith and love for Christ.
Not that this easy…and sometimes it’s hard to feel that God cares…I guess we just have to pray to God for grace to understand that we are following Him.