Does God really want Bible-Thumpers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rocklobster
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my problems before I became a more serious Christian was that I didn’t want to be lumped with all those “Bible-thumpers”. In fact, I don’t even memorize Scripture. But I’ve noticed that some of the more serious Christians seem to fit the negative stereotype that this pejorative term is for. Am I going about this wrong?
I would say that the problem with Bible-thumpers is that they generally take the Bible entirely out of context, which is provided by tradition and the history around it. That makes the “thumper” ignore the overall canon of scripture, how it developed over time, and what we can learn from studying the history of the early church in interpreting it.

That being said, I think studying the Bible and understanding it is crucial for all Christians. I generally find that “Bible thumpers” are more evangelical Protestants, and have found it extremely handy to be able to speak to them on their own level. Catholic Bible scholarship is profound and comprehensive, and I’ve generally found that many “Bible thumpers” don’t know what to do when they’re hit with arguments based in the Bible that don’t support their generally narrow view of theology (which in my experience, is based on misinterpreting Romans and Galatians for soteriology and 2 Timothy’s “all scripture is valuable” as the basis of Biblical inerrancy and/or sola scriptura).

I’ve also found that knowing the Bible and its history is extremely valuable in countering Muslim proselytes, who often trot out an out of context Bible verse to play “gotcha” with issues like the divinity of Christ. While Mark, for example, would appear on first glance to have a “low Christology,” to explain it with reference to the Old Testament references it contains allows one to show how Mark is in fact proclaiming the divine sonship of Christ and the vindication of Israel by God.

Overall, I think knowing the Bible is critical. But fundamentally, the center of the faith is Christ. Communicating his love and kingship is important, but we don’t need to do that with scripture unless we’re talking with someone who thinks that anything but scripture is bunk.
 
However, for an ordinary person like you or me (ie, not a bible scholar), in my opinion reading the bible is one of the worst ways to try and discover and understand the truth that’s revealed to us because it is way too easy to misinterpret (just look at how many Protestant denominations there are as proof of the number of different (wrong) ways the bible can be interpreted). So my advice is that unless you feel called to be a bible scholar, avoid using it for this second purpose I’ve mentioned. When you want to know the truth, just stick to what the Church teaches in simple manner.
The problem here is that there are so many Catholics who have been taught the sacraments and liturgy, and then that’s it. I know too many Catholics who have left the Church and joined Protestant (generally evangelical) denominations because they claim that the sermons explain WHY Christians believe what they do. It’s sad, because lapsed Catholics like these, those that join evangelical congregations, are often the first to say that the Catholic Church’s liturgies and sacraments have nothing to do with scripture. I personally know probably at least 5 or 6 people who followed just this path.

When a charismatic evangelical preacher reaches just such a person, and they read Galatians for the first time, all of a sudden a skilled Baptist or Pentecostal minister can make it seem as though St. Paul is arguing against the Catholic Church (rather than the judaizing Christians who were trying to impose kosher law on Gentiles, about which he really is writing).
You don’t need to read the bible to be a good Christian.
That’s true. However, when a Christian is asked to explain their faith, it is very helpful to have the means of doing so.
 
The problem here is that there are so many Catholics who have been taught the sacraments and liturgy, and then that’s it. I know too many Catholics who have left the Church and joined Protestant (generally evangelical) denominations because they claim that the sermons explain WHY Christians believe what they do. It’s sad, because lapsed Catholics like these, those that join evangelical congregations, are often the first to say that the Catholic Church’s liturgies and sacraments have nothing to do with scripture. I personally know probably at least 5 or 6 people who followed just this path.

When a charismatic evangelical preacher reaches just such a person, and they read Galatians for the first time, all of a sudden a skilled Baptist or Pentecostal minister can make it seem as though St. Paul is arguing against the Catholic Church (rather than the judaizing Christians who were trying to impose kosher law on Gentiles, about which he really is writing).

That’s true. However, when a Christian is asked to explain their faith, it is very helpful to have the means of doing so.
The bible is beautiful, but, when it is memorized, we are depending on the brain, not on the spirit to remember it. Making it intellectual, not spiritually understood.
The Holy spirit brings all things into remembrance at the right time.
living under the written law of any religion is not living righteously living under the law.
The law must be in the heart, not the intellect.
Louise
 
Well you should read at least the new testament, its written that God loves you anyway. And there is no single line saying stuff like “if you don’t do this I will stop loving you”
 
Well you should read at least the new testament, its written that God loves you anyway. And there is no single line saying stuff like “if you don’t do this I will stop loving you”
I am in agreement with flopfoot. What I said seems to be what he is saying, all others are bible thumpers.
I hate to say this, but, I never lie.
 
One of my problems before I became a more serious Christian was that I didn’t want to be lumped with all those “Bible-thumpers”. In fact, I don’t even memorize Scripture. But I’ve noticed that some of the more serious Christians seem to fit the negative stereotype that this pejorative term is for. Am I going about this wrong?
I think it can be helpful to memorize a few scriptures that touch your own heart and give you courage and hope in time of tribulation. But it is also important to know what the church teaches and be able to provide scriptural backing for this teaching so we can hold intelligent conversation with those who would use scripture to ‘evangelize’ theologically weak members away from their faith in Christ.

But some ‘Bible thumpers’ seem to memorize scriptures with the intention of proving another’s theology to be wrong. Sometimes these scriptures are taken out of context or used in a way that really doesn’t conform with the entire teaching of scripture.

There is an old Joke that goes something like this: '‘Ok Lord, today I’m going to do exactly what the scripture tells me to do. I’m going to close my eyes and randomly open the Bible, then point, open my eyes, and do exactly what that particular verse tells me to do.’ Attempt number one: ‘And Judas went and hanged himself’. ‘Well, maybe I need to try that again.’ Attempt number two: ‘Go and do thou likewise’. ‘This does not seem to be working. I’ll try it again.’ Attempt number three: ‘Whatever thou do, do so quickly’. 🙂
 
… But other people might find it boring, confusing or just prefer regular prayer better. The other thing that the bible is for, is for increasing our understanding of the truth that’s been revealed to us - of course the Church has its bible scholars … reading the bible is one of the worst ways to try and discover and understand the truth that’s revealed to us because it is way too easy to misinterpret.
Simply reading the Bible can be boring and difficult to understand, and perhaps less interesting than prayer. However, by attending Bible study class at church, via DVD, led by Catholic Bible scholars, assisted by a church group leader, this can help one better understand the teachings of the Bible and more fully appreciate scripture and its truthful interpretation as it relates to our Catholic faith. I find such Bible study classes awesome, and can say I really appreciate scripture and look forward to hearing the readings and Gospel each Sunday at Mass.
 
Well I guess you have to consider what bible reading is for. One thing is that it is a devotion, like praying and going to Mass and etc. are devotions. So, what devotions you like are up to you, though the way God made you might mean that some devotions are better suited to you than others. As a devotion, reading the bible can be quite inspirational as it allows God to ‘speak’ to you in a way that is different to in other devotions. But other people might find it boring, confusing or just prefer regular prayer better. The other thing that the bible is for, is for increasing our understanding of the truth that’s been revealed to us - of course the Church has its bible scholars who try to interpret it as best they can and then this may add clarification to its teachings. However, for an ordinary person like you or me (ie, not a bible scholar), in my opinion reading the bible is one of the worst ways to try and discover and understand the truth that’s revealed to us because it is way too easy to misinterpret (just look at how many Protestant denominations there are as proof of the number of different (wrong) ways the bible can be interpreted). So my advice is that unless you feel called to be a bible scholar, avoid using it for this second purpose I’ve mentioned. When you want to know the truth, just stick to what the Church teaches in simple manner. And if you like bible reading as a devotion then by all means read it as a devotion. But don’t feel bad if you don’t particularly like that devotion. You don’t need to read the bible to be a good Christian.
“Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ”…read the Bible under the guidance of the Catholic Church. You’ll not go wrong.
 
40.png
marymyheroine:
“Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ”…read the Bible under the guidance of the Catholic Church. You’ll not go wrong.

Be still and know that I am god, not study to know God. read it in ;psalms
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top