M
MorningSong51
Guest
I have enjoyed reading your post tremendously, as they are a breath of fresh air. Also, as a new member, I think this forum for many reasons is awesome, the information given and questions that members have asked are great. For the first time, I feel that I found a place to get good sound replies - it only encourages me to continue to read and also search scripture.Yes, there may be different versions regarding the criteria or features of the Messiah according to the several Jewish sects of the period (Pharisees, Sadducees, Essenes, and others), yet none of these criteria confirms or conforms to the Jesus-as-Messiah idea, a Savior Deity who sacrifices himself to redeem all humanity for their sins. The word itself, “Moshiach,” has no relation to this concept of Savior or Deity. The two-Messiah theory quite clearly, based on text and context, refers to two different Messiahs, rather than the same Messiah who returns a second time. The no-Messiah theory evidently does not support the Messiah as either King or Priest, but instead may or may not believe in a Messianic Age. The priestly-Messiah theory does not view the Messiah as divine but rather as a holy man who is learned in the Torah and focuses on the study and practice of its teachings, and who may also be a warrior. The Messiah-as-King theory regards the Messiah as a warrior-king who ushers in an era of peace by means of military conquest. Whichever theory one espouses–and the purpose of the exegesis of Hebrew Bible textual prophecies is to determine which theory is best supported–the nature of Jesus, particularly with respect to his death and resurrection, but also his birth and life, is not founded on these prophecies as interpreted by Jewish scholars in the original language and context of the Bible verses. Christian scholars, of course, disagree and point to Biblical passages–both in Hebrew and Greek–that they claim support the nature of Jesus as the Messiah. They also point out that the Masoretic text, currently the standard version of the Hebrew Bible, differs from the Septuagint, which, they affirm, characterizes the Messiah as more of a Savior than a priest or king. And so hangs the tale…
There is a mixture all the way around the board on different understandings/or thought to the Messiah, depending upon which community one is affiliated to, but with this idea in mind we know that the Exodus - God as the redeemer, and at that time, was about to strike. The exact calculation of the deliverer weren’t very clear to know when he would come - or out of what tribe. Again, there were many speculation on who, what and when the deliverer would come, that the 400 years would start. Was the calculation from the point of Abraham - after the dream, did the count start with Isaac or with Jacob’s son Joseph? We’re in the same position as back in the days of…that is with the numbering of the days before the Messiah will return or from the Jewish perspectives - when the King Messiah or the Messianic Age/Era will commence. Again, all calculations. Even though I know that there are quotations of leaving the calculations alone - that way (like today) we don’t alarm anyone.
Also, and I have to add this thought into the mix, starting on the 10th of Av (what is referred to or called pre-creation), G-d shone a different level of light, one that has the ability to rectify. In fact, it is the light, which G-d used to build creation, to free the Jewish people from Egypt, to give the Torah, and, eventually, it will be the light that He will use to bring the Final Redemption. It is the light referred to in the third posuk, “And G-d said, 'Let there be light, and there was light.”
The understanding that light reflects wisdom of God – referring to “Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars” (Proverbs 9:1).
The foundation of the house of wisdom is “the fear of the LORD . . . the beginning of wisdom” (Proverbs 9:10). One does not finally reach the Lord through much study and the acquisition of much wisdom. The fear of the Lord is the very “beginning of wisdom.” Without a reverent trust in the God of creation and redemption, there can be no true wisdom. “For other foundation can no man lay than . . . Jesus Christ” (I Corinthians 3:11).
Again, and pointing toward the passage, God had shown Moses all of his glory, as scripture said, “Now show me your glory."– After Jacob and after Moses, did any prophet “see” God or “walk” with God? “And the LORD said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.”
John 1:14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Sorry if I’m stepping on anyone toes -
Mary