Does listening to Truth & Life Dramatized Audio Bible Count for reading scripture?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dfp42
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dfp42

Guest
It’s the RSV-CE audio version word for word from the bible. If I was to listen to this on my ipod at night or driving in my car meditating on the Word of God, does this count towards spending time in (reading) scripture as reading the book? Is there any difference between reading the Word or Listening to the word?
 
Also, I sometimes find myself in a situation where I forgot my rosary but really want to pray it. Does it not count as truly praying the rosary if I was to do it with memorization because I sincerely forgot my rosary?
 
Also, I sometimes find myself in a situation where I forgot my rosary but really want to pray it. Does it not count as truly praying the rosary if I was to do it with memorization because I sincerely forgot my rosary?
The rosary is an aid to completing the prayer. I’ve used my fingers to keep count when I didn’t have a rosary available. The rosary beads take away the burden of remembering how many Hail Marys you’ve said, so that you can more easily meditate on the mystery of that particular decade.

Also, God would never refuse a prayer sincerely offered out of love. The rosary is a wonderful prayer in that it allows us to draw closer to God, through saying several beautiful prayers, asking Mary to pray for us, and giving us the opportunity to reflect upon moments in Jesus’ life.
 
The only reason I ask is because I get once got a lot of mix results when I asked this question among Catholics on CAF. Some people literally said it doesn’t count and there is no merit etc. It’s almost as if some people consider being a Catholic as some type of competition or something. Who prays more and acts more holier is better. Surely I know prayer is important daily but I don’t understand why Catholics look at this as some type of competition between other Catholics at times.
 
Just a thought…The normal mode of “reading” the bible for the first 1500 years or so – was listening to it. Before the invention of the Gutenberg printing press, it would have cost something like 3 years wages or more to buy a bible. It was impractical for the average person to own one. Most people were illiterate, so even if they went to a church or to a library where they could find a bible, they wouldn’t be able to read it anyway.

My point is that the authors of the various books would have assumed that you would be listening to someone read it. So much so, that John, in the book of Revelation 1:3 says, “Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of the prophesy, and blessed are those who hear and who keep what is written in it”
 
Just a thought…The normal mode of “reading” the bible for the first 1500 years or so – was listening to it. Before the invention of the Gutenberg printing press, it would have cost something like 3 years wages or more to buy a bible. It was impractical for the average person to own one. Most people were illiterate, so even if they went to a church or to a library where they could find a bible, they wouldn’t be able to read it anyway.

My point is that the authors of the various books would have assumed that you would be listening to someone read it. So much so, that John, in the book of Revelation 1:3 says, “Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of the prophesy, and blessed are those who hear and who keep what is written in it”
Wow good point. Jesus never taught from a book. He taught orally and others passed this on and lived on his word trusting in him without books and documents etc. I guess this is the part that the Church teaches when it talks about Sacred Tradition?
 
When I read from paper I fall asleep.

When I listen to Scripture narrators, I’m able to do other work or I can sit and meditate on the passages.

I read Scripture from the computer (USCCB website) and then I hotbutton into other related passages immediately and when I’m online I can link into areas (biblical archeology, online prayers, online Scriptural Rosarys, EWTN YouTube, iTunes - Immaculate Heart Radio or 24hr Scripture Readings ) and I’m able to work God into my life all day.

Daily homily at

youtube.com/user/EWTN
 
The only reason I ask is because I get once got a lot of mix results when I asked this question among Catholics on CAF. Some people literally said it doesn’t count and there is no merit etc. It’s almost as if some people consider being a Catholic as some type of competition or something. Who prays more and acts more holier is better. Surely I know prayer is important daily but I don’t understand why Catholics look at this as some type of competition between other Catholics at times.
hmmm…Prayer is an opportunity to spend time with your Creator - a loving father who cares about you and wants the best for you. If someone is more interested in competing with others over style, form, volume or speed, then I would wonder about whether the focus of their prayer is God or themselves. In the end, who is being praised?

If you find Catholics who want to compete thats fine, let them be first. Just remember Mark 10:31, “But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first.”

Seriously, if you are earnestly praying, God will hear your prayer. He is not going to refuse to listen to you because you can’t find a string with some plastic beads on it. So, I can’t imagine it having no merit. I love my rosaries, I have one I usually carry in my pocket. I have one in the car and I have several at home, but I don’t confuse the prayer being offered with a tool to aid that prayer.
 
It’s the RSV-CE audio version word for word from the bible. If I was to listen to this on my ipod at night or driving in my car meditating on the Word of God, does this count towards spending time in (reading) scripture as reading the book? Is there any difference between reading the Word or Listening to the word?
certainly, especially for someone who can’t read for some reason, but if it is an approved translation and I assume it is because of where it is marketed, yes. In fact at least during Mass it is preferable to hear the Word proclaimed than to read it yourself from a book. But whether or not it is meditating if you are multi-tasking is another question altogether. No if you are practicing lectio divina, or wish to not only hear but meditate on scripture and be open to contemplative prayer, no you have to set aside a quiet time and please to read or listen, and try to remove all other distractions.
Also, I sometimes find myself in a situation where I forgot my rosary but really want to pray it. Does it not count as truly praying the rosary if I was to do it with memorization because I sincerely forgot my rosary?
why would you think it does not “count” if you don’t use beads?

I am concerned about the flood of questions we have had lately about does this or that private devotion have to be done a certain ritualistic, almost superstious way to “count” (whatever that means). You pray as you can.

but driving a car, doing housework, yardwork, or office work while listening to a spiritual tape or audio prayer is not necessarily praying. It is a worthwhile practice, but you still need some time in addition to that devoted entirely to prayer with your full attention.
 
I heard about this on ewtn from Raymond Arroyo. The website says:

The Truth & Life Dramatized audio Bible™ New Testament is endorsed with an Imprimatur from the Vatican and includes a foreword by Pope Benedict XVI
 
People are both auditory and visual learners and each person will favor a preference and yet they generally are capable of changing their preference depending on activity.

I must read prayers to “feel them” but I do far better understanding Sacred Scripture by hearing it spoken.
 
You pray as you can. But driving a car, doing housework, yardwork, or office work while listening to a spiritual tape or audio prayer is not necessarily praying. It is a worthwhile practice, but you still need some time in addition to that devoted entirely to prayer with your full attention.
I agree. It’s difficult in our world to block out all the “noise” and just pray.

I actually use earplugs to help get me to that silent location with God.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top