Does NFP really work?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DoxieMama
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry I wasn’t clear, I think we are saying the same thing. Once you take out the non-symptom based methods, the failure rate is close to or better than condoms. (Typical use failure of condoms is 15%, which is worse than NFP).
No, actually it is the method effectiveness of calendar methods that is lower than symptom methods. The typical use of all methods of NFP is comparable to condoms, not better. But interestingly enough, so is the pull out method according to most recent studies. abcnews.go.com/Health/Economy/sex-study-pull-withdrawal-method-rivals-condoms-birth/story?id=7688558#.UDzn96BRwr0
 
I’m new to the forum, how do you properly post back someone’s quotes (where it’s in that gray box)?
A benefit of the Creighton Method is that you know each seperate day if you are fertile or not. Therefore it works in all sorts of abnormal situations. (irregular cycles, postpartum, during nursing, premenopause, etc.) Based on my research, it would seem to be the method that provides the highest number of useable nights as well. It also seems to be the method that most doctors in my area are familiar with. Both my GP and OBGYN recommended this method, undestand how it works, and use the information from my charts to help with my healthcare.
 
@trixie: back atcha - - why should one assume PP is unbiased?

Two, if you cannot demonstrate some sort of problem with the studies cited, I am not sure how you can come to the conclusion that they are biased. You can certainly see the potential, but is it any worse than the potential bias the other way, i.e., to sell a product like BCPs, IUDs, etc.?
 
For what it’s worth… back before we were married, our diocese offered a class in the Billings method. Seemed pretty simple. We were also pretty “conservative” in how we applied it, gave an extra day or two of “cushion” on either side of the fertile period. However 3 of our 4 conceptions happened during months when the symptoms & charting said that conception was unlikely. Now I can’t call that a failure of the method; the kids are wonderful and a gift from God. However, if (as you describe) having another child could be very bad for your health & well being and for your family, I offer my experience as one of the 1% or 2% or 10-15% or whatever statistics you believe, where NFP would not be helpful in avoiding pregnancy.

And there are people out there who will say “you must not have done it the right way” or something like that, which is not so helpful - as I say, we were quite “religious” about how we did this. And others will say “instead of Billings use xyz or abcde method!” Which is fine and helpful advice, except it is retrospective in nature… you don’t know that a particular method didn’t prevent pregnancy, until after it happens.

A final point - when anyone gives you advice based on personal experience - as helpful and well-intended as it is, remember that it is anecdotal. That includes mine. Your results may be the same, or different.
 
For what it’s worth… back before we were married, our diocese offered a class in the Billings method. Seemed pretty simple. We were also pretty “conservative” in how we applied it, gave an extra day or two of “cushion” on either side of the fertile period. However 3 of our 4 conceptions happened during months when the symptoms & charting said that conception was unlikely. Now I can’t call that a failure of the method; the kids are wonderful and a gift from God. However, if (as you describe) having another child could be very bad for your health & well being and for your family, I offer my experience as one of the 1% or 2% or 10-15% or whatever statistics you believe, where NFP would not be helpful in avoiding pregnancy.

And there are people out there who will say “you must not have done it the right way” or something like that, which is not so helpful - as I say, we were quite “religious” about how we did this. And others will say “instead of Billings use xyz or abcde method!” Which is fine and helpful advice, except it is retrospective in nature… you don’t know that a particular method didn’t prevent pregnancy, until after it happens.

A final point - when anyone gives you advice based on personal experience - as helpful and well-intended as it is, remember that it is anecdotal. That includes mine. Your results may be the same, or different.
Thanks! I appreciate that. I understand everyone is different. I’m not going to pretend I’m not frustrated by this. I want to do what’s right by the church, so that means stopping condom use. I know it’s considered a mortal sin, but it seems ridiculous to me that I could go to Hell for using a condom with my husband. Sorry, just so frustrated right now
 
I should probably also add that I am almost 33 years old. I don’t know when fertility decreases in women, but maybe the NFP would work better because I’m getting older? IDK
 
Best of luck to you. I sugget lots of classes and one on one instruction, hopefully your body symptoms are readable and it works for you. In our personal experience fertility signs have been completely unreadable, instructors clueless, doctors say all is fine. It’s cost us a fortune determining that it just doesn’t work for us, at least not yet (charting over 3 years). Because NFP is the only allowed family planning when stuff like this happens you end up abstinent, potentially for the next 30 years like us (pregnancy would be dangerous). Basically its a nightmare in an otherwise blessed amazing marriage. But according to the methodology it works, we’re not pregnant. So, yes i guess it does work. The definition for work is a bit broad though. Best of luck.

Ps. Classes, classes, classes, research, more classes.
 
I’ll just have to hope for the best. My PHYSICAL health wouldn’t be in danger, but my PSYCHOLOGICAL health. After my last baby, I had severe post-partum, so that is the reason the doctor suggested I not have any more children. Sorry I haven’t been clear about that.

I think I may need to just change my attitude, trust God and welcome a pregnancy if it does happen. I’m coming into this faith for a reason, so even if I did become pregnant and have bad post-partum again, I’m sure I could get help through faith, other people, etc. :o
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top