Does this count as a mortal sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Skyhighblue34
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skyhighblue34

Guest
Yesterday I was alone at work (i work in the back of a delhi at a grocry store). I was so hungry that i took a bag of unopened cookies and starting eating them. At the time i had no intention for paying for them, i knew it was technically stealing, that it was grave matter… However, after i started eating them, my consciene kept nagging me for some kind of recompense for what id taken, like buying another bag. I ended up printing a price tag for the cookies and paying for the half empty bag. Since paying for the stolen goods only came as an after though, does the mortal sin of stealing still count.
 
I need to know cuz ill be going to morning mass today and idk if i should skip the eucharist or not.
 
stealing a bag of cookies in most situations is no mortal sin, stealing has degrees. read the cathechism.
 
You paid for them. I’d say no. If it is bugging you, go to confession anyways.
 
Even if you initially intended to steal the cookies, you did not do so, as you paid before leaving the premises. No sin.

IMS, there is an approximate financial value to grave matter; possibly $50 in the US.

ICXC NIKA
 
Even if you initially intended to steal the cookies, you did not do so, as you paid before leaving the premises. No sin.

IMS, there is an approximate financial value to grave matter; possibly $50 in the US.

ICXC NIKA
That’s good to know that there’s a certain value you have to hit for grave matter. Thank you all for your answers!
 
That’s good to know that there’s a certain value you have to hit for grave matter.
I absolutely would not look at it from that perspective.

If you stole 10 dollars out of your mother’s purse, 2 dollars out of the collection plate at Church, or a cup of change from a homeless person on the street, you would be committing a grave sin.

Moreover, any action that’s been committed with the intention to offend God can be a mortal sin. God is offended by our stealing someone’s property, since we have no claim to it and are undermining justice. If we therefore steal, and if we do so with knowledge that such an action is offensive to God, we’re certainly treading on thin ice. The mortal sin may not be stealing per se, but doing something that we know offends God, and being apathetic about that because we can’t be bothered with morality when we need a cookie. 🙂

Now, I realize most people who steal small things are not doing so specifically to be offensive to God. But nonetheless, this is something to consider when examining our conscience, along with the approach that even venial sins should be avoided whenever we can.
 
I absolutely would not look at it from that perspective.

If you stole 10 dollars out of your mother’s purse, 2 dollars out of the collection plate at Church, or a cup of change from a homeless person on the street, you would be committing a grave sin.

Moreover, any action that’s been committed with the intention to offend God can be a mortal sin. God is offended by our stealing someone’s property, since we have no claim to it and are undermining justice. If we therefore steal, and if we do so with knowledge that such an action is offensive to God, we’re certainly treading on thin ice. The mortal sin may not be stealing per se, but doing something that we know offends God, and being apathetic about that because we can’t be bothered with morality when we need a cookie. 🙂

Now, I realize most people who steal small things are not doing so specifically to be offensive to God. But nonetheless, this is something to consider when examining our conscience, along with the approach that even venial sins should be avoided whenever we can.
I don’t think the financial value, which I learned in CCD by the way, was intended as a matter of “below this level you are ok,” but “above this level, watch out!”

I firmly agree with what you have said about offending God.

In any case, there seems to have been no sin in this instance. It would be hard, indeed, to steal in amounts that in tphemselves amount to grave matter, simply under the impulse of hunger.

ICXC NIKA.
 
Because at the time you ate the cookies you WERE THINKING that you were committing a mortal sin (even though it WASN"T a mortal sin) if you didn’t pay for the cookies, then you’d be GUILTY OF MORTAL sin. But I don’t know if you are guilty of mortal sin because you ended up paying for the cookies. Ask a traditional priest. God bless you.
 
Yesterday I was alone at work (i work in the back of a delhi at a grocry store). I was so hungry that i took a bag of unopened cookies and starting eating them. At the time i had no intention for paying for them, i knew it was technically stealing, that it was grave matter… However, after i started eating them, my consciene kept nagging me for some kind of recompense for what id taken, like buying another bag. I ended up printing a price tag for the cookies and paying for the half empty bag. Since paying for the stolen goods only came as an after though, does the mortal sin of stealing still count.
I would say it was a mortal sin. I certainly don’t think it was grave matter, but you thought it was at the time (including no intention to pay for the food) and still did it. You were willing to offend God with a mortal sin.
 
But wouldn’t the payment count as repentance, ie, the sin was not completed?

ICXC NIKA
 
But wouldn’t the payment count as repentance, ie, the sin was not completed?

ICXC NIKA
But based on what the OP said, he was planning on mortally sinning. A person who plans on robbing a bank, robs it, but then returns the money is still guilty of a mortal sin.
 
But based on what the OP said, he was planning on mortally sinning. A person who plans on robbing a bank, robs it, but then returns the money is still guilty of a mortal sin.
But this is more like going into the bank and then changing your mind, IMNAAHO.

ICXC NIKA
 
Stealing a bag of cookies from a store is not a mortal sin, even IF one thinks it was at the time. IF the store were so improverished that the bag of cookies would have meant the failure or collapse of the business then it might be a grave offense…

BUT one bag of cookies is not going to make or break the store.

For a mortal sin to occur, the sin must in fact be a serious offense, not that one just thinks it is a serious offense. I may think spitting on the sidewalk is a serious offense, but in fact it is not. My doing so under the mistaken belief that it is, does not make it a mortal sin,.
 
So the moment an intention to sin exists, even if unexecuted, there is mortal sin?

ICXC NIKA
Not a fleeting “intention”, but if you will something that is sinful and do so with full knowledge then I think it would be a mortal sin. Like impure desires: I would if I could…

I suppose the best way to find out is to ask a moral theologian or a priest. But that’s my take on it. 🤷
 
I absolutely would not look at it from that perspective.

If you stole 10 dollars out of your mother’s purse, 2 dollars out of the collection plate at Church, or a cup of change from a homeless person on the street, you would be committing a grave sin.

Moreover, any action that’s been committed with the intention to offend God can be a mortal sin. God is offended by our stealing someone’s property, since we have no claim to it and are undermining justice. If we therefore steal, and if we do so with knowledge that such an action is offensive to God, we’re certainly treading on thin ice. The mortal sin may not be stealing per se, but doing something that we know offends God, and being apathetic about that because we can’t be bothered with morality when we need a cookie. 🙂

Now, I realize most people who steal small things are not doing so specifically to be offensive to God. But nonetheless, this is something to consider when examining our conscience, along with the approach that even venial sins should be avoided whenever we can.
I do not believe that stealing ten dollars from your mother’s purse would constitute grave matter…but I could be wrong…

Also, I thought that it wouldn’t be that we know the action is offensive to God which makes the sin grave, but rather if we TRY to offend God.

But I could be wrong.

To answer the OP’s question, it would be best to ask a priest. But most internet people would say taht if you believed that something was grave matter, and you did it with the other two conditions, you’ve probably sinned mortally…but I digress…

It is best just to follow a priest’s advice…that is what I do when managing scruples…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top