Does this seem like a mortal sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Christ_Conquers
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christ_Conquers

Guest
Hi,
For a while now I’ve been dealing with temptations to sinful thoughts. I never really dwell on the thoughts, but i seem to be willfully thinking (for like less then a second) them. I’ve already been to confession 3 times in the past 10 days, and i think I’ve been making firm purposes of amendment but i seem to keep falling back into this same thing. I’m wondering if i need to go to confession again tonight. I’m pretty scrupulous so i have a hard time figuring out if i’m in mortal sin. Here is how it seems to happen:
  1. The thought comes in, i think it for like 1/2 a second.
  2. I fight the thought away.
  3. I bring up the thought again, and think it for like 1/2 a second.
  4. Then i get a strong feeling like i just committed sin, and i get really worried. I put a firm end to the thought as this happens. (All these steps happen very close together i think the whole thing is only a few seconds, sometimes step 3 and 2 happen a few times)
Does this seem like a mortal sin, or does it seem venial?

I don’t really seem to get the pleasure or evil emotions stated in the quote below, yet something in me still wants to think these thoughts.

The Imitation of Christ:
This is how temptation is: first we have a thought, followed by strong imaginings, then pleasure and evil emotions, and finally consent.
Thanks!
 
If you are not consenting to the thoughts, you are likely not culpable for sin. Weekly confession should be sufficient, but it sounds a bit OCD to me what you are doing. Pray a Hail Mary every time the thought comes. God knows what is in your heart. You are not sinning if you are actively working on the problem.
 
If you are not consenting to the thoughts, you are likely not culpable for sin. Weekly confession should be sufficient, but it sounds a bit OCD to me what you are doing. Pray a Hail Mary every time the thought comes. God knows what is in your heart. You are not sinning if you are actively working on the problem.
This is good advice. I agree that it sounds a bit OCD/scrupulous (I suffer from both myself). A good rule of thumb is if you have to ask yourself if you sinned, you probably didn’t sin at all. One always knows for certain when they have committed a mortal sin.
 
I agree with the previous posts.

I am terribly distracted during prayer, and the thoughts are atheistic and sometimes just totally unrelated to prayer.

It seems that I can think of about four or five things at the same time. Saying prayers mentally, even vocally, does not seem to occupy the center stage of my consciousness.

When something is a temptation, sometimes I think “this is a temptation, not a sin.”

The Jews, in the first approximation, have 613 commandments to obey in the Torah. The humble Jew admits that there are thus 613 things he is tempted to do or to ignore. These temptations may come up at any time. and more than one at a time, too.

My mom is in a nursing home, and there are other elderly ladies there with dementia. I am tempted to think non-charitable things about them, and to objectify them in evil ways. I have to just pull back from those thoughts, even though these ladies are screeching and hollering to nobody in particular, almost incessantly.

I would need earplugs if I had to be in there for more than an hour at a time.
 
I have the same problem! But I have learned to ask my self this before coffession: Did I do anything DELIBERATLEY (sorry for spelling) wrong? This always helps because a condition for mortal sin is deliberate consent. Hope this helped. It helped me. 😃
 
I agree that it sounds a bit OCD/scrupulous (I suffer from both myself). A good rule of thumb is if you have to ask yourself if you sinned, you probably didn’t sin at all. One always knows for certain when they have committed a mortal sin.
👍
I am terribly distracted during prayer, and the thoughts are atheistic and sometimes just totally unrelated to prayer.
Me too. Sometimes during Mass as well. 😦

BUT!
When something is a temptation, sometimes I think “this is a temptation, not a sin.”
You hit the nail on the head!

To the OP though, I think you should talk with your confessor/spiritual director about scrupulosity. In the meantime, check this out:

“Ten Commandments for the Scrupulous”
by Rev. Thomas M. Santa, C.SS.R.

mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupulosity.htm
 
I’ve had those kinds of feelings too–more so when I’m in Grace than out. I think they come from Satan.
 
See if this helps put it in perspective…

You are on a diet and you can’t have chocolate.
You think of chocolate but push the thought out…
The thought pops back in and you lick your lips but then you quickly push the thought back out…

Question: Have you broken your diet???

Obviously the answer is no…you actually successfully fought off the temptation…Which is a very good thing.

Now granted - dwelling on thoughts can be a bit tricky…As you recognize.
The thought process that you describe might be likened to a “wrestling match”…You are not sinning so long as you are fighting the temptation.
So my advice is just don’t give up…

Do that and you will not be in mortal sin.

Peace
James
 
You already know you are scrupulous, so you should be under the care of a competent priest, who would tell you that unwanted thoughts are not sinful. Also, it would be very good to have some guidance as to your spiritual reading. *The Imitation of Christ *is not always easy to apply in the normal layperson’s life, and should be read with your confessor’s OK, as should all your spiritual reading.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top