W
whatischarity
Guest
On the “Traditional Catholic” thread, A poster posted this regarding what he considers is the absolute necessity of being a practing Catholic in order to gain salvation:
Pope Pius IX, Allocution, Singular quadem. Dec. 9, 1854:
For, it must be held by faith that outside the Apostolic Roman Church, no one can be saved; that this is the only ark of salvation; that he who shall not have entered therein will perish in the flood catecheticsonline.com/SourcesofDogma17.php
CATECHISM OF POPE SAINT PIUS X
27 Q. Can one be saved outside the Catholic, Apostolic and Roman Church?
A. No, no one can be saved outside the Catholic, Apostolic Roman Church, just as no one could be saved from the flood outside the Ark of Noah, which was a figure of the Church. ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/PIUSXCAT.htm
The poster stated that this is a very explicit teaching about the requirement to be a formal member of the church in order to be saved. I have read what more recent Popes and councils have written on the topic and their elucidation of the concept of salvation and the church makes more sense to me then those such as the above - which appear to make no exception for God-fearing people outside the visible bounds of the Church.
Still, when the above Pope and catechism made those statements, didn’t they contradict scripture? For instance (I may be writing the bible quotes wrong, sorry):
I Romans 10 (9 - 10) “For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe it in your heart that God raised Him from the dead you will be saved. For one believes withthe heart and so is justified and on confesses with the heart and so is saved”
Acts 6 31: "Sirs, what must I do to be save? And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you and your household will be saved.”
Mt 19:29 “And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sister or father or mother of children or lands for the sake of My name will receive a hundred times more and will inherit eternal life.”
Mt 25: 34 - 36: “Come you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry ad you gave me to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me to drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill ad you cared for me, in prison and you visited me… Amen I say to you, whatever you did for tese least of my brothers, you did for me.”
John 3:36: “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever disobeys the Son will not see life but the wrath of God remains on him”
John 11:25 “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in Me, even if he dies, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die”
It seems to me there are many places in scripture that delineate the dispositions and actions that allow one to be saved. It seems to me that a person that has those dispositions and does those actions should be able to find eternal life. I will grant that doing these things should be much easier if one had access to the graces Jesus gives man through the sacraments available in His church, but still, I would be hesitant to condemn someone just because they were not a visible member of the Church which is what it appears the above quoted Pope and catechism state. (The original poster had more instances of quotations from historical Catholic records. I reckon everyone is familiar with the list)
Pope Pius IX, Allocution, Singular quadem. Dec. 9, 1854:
For, it must be held by faith that outside the Apostolic Roman Church, no one can be saved; that this is the only ark of salvation; that he who shall not have entered therein will perish in the flood catecheticsonline.com/SourcesofDogma17.php
CATECHISM OF POPE SAINT PIUS X
27 Q. Can one be saved outside the Catholic, Apostolic and Roman Church?
A. No, no one can be saved outside the Catholic, Apostolic Roman Church, just as no one could be saved from the flood outside the Ark of Noah, which was a figure of the Church. ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/PIUSXCAT.htm
The poster stated that this is a very explicit teaching about the requirement to be a formal member of the church in order to be saved. I have read what more recent Popes and councils have written on the topic and their elucidation of the concept of salvation and the church makes more sense to me then those such as the above - which appear to make no exception for God-fearing people outside the visible bounds of the Church.
Still, when the above Pope and catechism made those statements, didn’t they contradict scripture? For instance (I may be writing the bible quotes wrong, sorry):
I Romans 10 (9 - 10) “For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe it in your heart that God raised Him from the dead you will be saved. For one believes withthe heart and so is justified and on confesses with the heart and so is saved”
Acts 6 31: "Sirs, what must I do to be save? And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you and your household will be saved.”
Mt 19:29 “And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sister or father or mother of children or lands for the sake of My name will receive a hundred times more and will inherit eternal life.”
Mt 25: 34 - 36: “Come you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry ad you gave me to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me to drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill ad you cared for me, in prison and you visited me… Amen I say to you, whatever you did for tese least of my brothers, you did for me.”
John 3:36: “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever disobeys the Son will not see life but the wrath of God remains on him”
John 11:25 “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in Me, even if he dies, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die”
It seems to me there are many places in scripture that delineate the dispositions and actions that allow one to be saved. It seems to me that a person that has those dispositions and does those actions should be able to find eternal life. I will grant that doing these things should be much easier if one had access to the graces Jesus gives man through the sacraments available in His church, but still, I would be hesitant to condemn someone just because they were not a visible member of the Church which is what it appears the above quoted Pope and catechism state. (The original poster had more instances of quotations from historical Catholic records. I reckon everyone is familiar with the list)