Does Using Money For Another Purpose Count As Stealing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Driver_8
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Driver_8

Guest
I’m currently attending college and my school has no dining hall, etc. so each semester I’m given nearly $2,000 from my estranged father (who is responsible for helping to cover tuition expenses, etc.) for food expenses in addition to each semester’s tuition payments. Over the past 3 weeks I’ve realized how I could save money by eating only certain things and at certain times, etc. and have used the money for other things such as extra school supplies, commuter train/subway tickets (my school is right near a major city), etc. I don’t want to/can’t really ask my mom for any assistance, etc. since she’s in a real financial bind at the moment.

I’ve lately discovered that I could save even more money by simply buying groceries in bulk at cheaper prices instead of getting take out, etc. and, thus, I will be able to save much more than originally expected (around $700-$800 per semester), which I would like to use towards getting an apartment for the upcoming summer since I’m extremely anxious to move out and be at least somewhat independent on my own. I’ve also had no luck in attaining a part-time job yet (which is how I’ve planned to fund my move, etc.) and with my busy school schedule I’m suddenly not so sure I could hold one down and still get superb grades at the same time, though I am still hopeful I’ll find one.

My question is: Is there any sin involved here in asking my estranged father for the same amount of food money for next semester since I’m fairly certain that a good portion, if not most, of that money would be used for something else? And is it grave matter? Thank you in advance for any responses. I only just realized this possibility today and now I’m feeling rather worried. I will ask my confessor tomorrow, but I feel like maybe that won’t be necessary.
 
I think it all depends on the nature of the “gift” and how it was given. For example, is it specifically earmarked for food expenses, and are you expected to create an itemized receipt? Or is it a free gift to be used at your sole discretion? Did he ask that any unused funds be returned? By all means, ask your confessor 🙂

For next year, I think it would be better to ask for the money for " school expenses" such as food, school supplies, and commuting costs next year. Personally, I would not use the money to help finance an apartment for over the summer. It sounds like an unnecessary expense, and “independence” on your parent’s dime is not really independence anyways. I would live frugally and put the leftover money in savings in case of an unexpected situation arising, or if, perchance, your parents were unable/unwilling to help with tuition next semester. Good luck with school and the job search!
 
Not knowing the details of the situation, I see the $2,000 as a way of helping you get through college. That’s what you’re doing with it. No problems there.

If you went out and gambled it, spent it all on alcohol, went to Bermuda, etc., then it wouldn’t be right.
 
I think it all depends on the nature of the “gift” and how it was given. For example, is it specifically earmarked for food expenses, and are you expected to create an itemized receipt? Or is it a free gift to be used at your sole discretion? Did he ask that any unused funds be returned? By all means, ask your confessor 🙂

For next year, I think it would be better to ask for the money for " school expenses" such as food, school supplies, and commuting costs next year. Personally, I would not use the money to help finance an apartment for over the summer. It sounds like an unnecessary expense, and “independence” on your parent’s dime is not really independence anyways. I would live frugally and put the leftover money in savings in case of an unexpected situation arising, or if, perchance, your parents were unable/unwilling to help with tuition next semester. Good luck with school and the job search!
Well yes it was specifically earmarked for food expenses, but he never asked for any “proof” of any sort that I used the money as such. And he never asked for any unused money to be returned to him. The court would probably tell him to back off if he did since he and my mom are divorced and he doesn’t really care about her well being nor mine.

I will consider using the term “school expenses” when my mom and I ask him to send another check. It’ll certainly seem more truthful and honest. And I’ve learned to live very frugally and intend to do so anyway, so radically economizing won’t be a problem at all. Oh and don’t get me wrong I pretty much refuse to ask my parents to help me out; I love nothing more than to be able to say “I did this/made it here myself” 🙂 However the ability to conserve and manage money in such a way as I described gives me that sense of satisfaction too so I don’t feel like I’m being “funded” by my parents 😛 And as for tuition next semester my mom has assured me (to no end) that it will be taken care of.

As for the apartment it’s actually more of a necessity since my “home” where I come from will only have enough room for just my mom. I won’t even have my own bedroom, etc. and job opportunities there are slim compared to where my school is/is near and I honestly feel that it will be in my best interest to move.

I will certainly ask my confessor about this. And thank you! I know if I just keep trying I’m already better off 🙂
 
Not knowing the details of the situation, I see the $2,000 as a way of helping you get through college. That’s what you’re doing with it. No problems there.

If you went out and gambled it, spent it all on alcohol, went to Bermuda, etc., then it wouldn’t be right.
That’s pretty much how I view it. I sure hope the man upstairs does too 😛
 
A story:

In Tetsugen’s time the holy Buddhist books in Chinese had never been published in Japanese, and Tetsugen thought they should be prepared so for his own countrymen. He planned to have several thousand copies printed from hand-engraved woodblocks, and went from town to town to collect donations so this great work could go ahead. After ten years he had the money needed, and started to have the blocks cut.

Just then the Uji river flooded, and there was famine in the land. Tetsugen took the money he had collected, and bought rice for the starving people. Then he started out to collect his funds again. Whether the donation was a little one or in coins of gold, he was equally grateful. After some years, he had the money again.

Then an epidemic passed over the country. Thousands of families were left without support. So Tetsugen spent all the money he had collected, helping the helpless. When it was all gone, he started collecting it again.

Finally his great project was accomplished, and he died content. Tetsugen’s edition of the holy books in Japanese can still be seen. But those who know, say that the first two editions, which have never been seen, far surpass the third.

rossum
 
I’m currently attending college and my school has no dining hall, etc. so each semester I’m given nearly $2,000 from my estranged father (who is responsible for helping to cover tuition expenses, etc.) for food expenses in addition to each semester’s tuition payments. Over the past 3 weeks I’ve realized how I could save money by eating only certain things and at certain times, etc. and have used the money for other things such as extra school supplies, commuter train/subway tickets (my school is right near a major city), etc. I don’t want to/can’t really ask my mom for any assistance, etc. since she’s in a real financial bind at the moment.

I’ve lately discovered that I could save even more money by simply buying groceries in bulk at cheaper prices instead of getting take out, etc. and, thus, I will be able to save much more than originally expected (around $700-$800 per semester), which I would like to use towards getting an apartment for the upcoming summer since I’m extremely anxious to move out and be at least somewhat independent on my own. I’ve also had no luck in attaining a part-time job yet (which is how I’ve planned to fund my move, etc.) and with my busy school schedule I’m suddenly not so sure I could hold one down and still get superb grades at the same time, though I am still hopeful I’ll find one.

My question is: Is there any sin involved here in asking my estranged father for the same amount of food money for next semester since I’m fairly certain that a good portion, if not most, of that money would be used for something else? And is it grave matter? Thank you in advance for any responses. I only just realized this possibility today and now I’m feeling rather worried. I will ask my confessor tomorrow, but I feel like maybe that won’t be necessary.
$2000 for food a semester!? If you actually cook and budget well using coupons you could dine decently on that for a year. Using the money for other school related sins in keeping with the concept of what it’s for. If you actually used all that one in a semester on food you might start falling in to gluttony and that would be far, far worse than what you are doing now.

As far as I know all sins stem from at least one of: vainglory (pride), avarice, gluttony, lust, sloth, envy, anger, however I don’t see any of those present in what you were doing as you aren’t doing anything sinful with it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top