C
CatholicZ09
Guest
This poll is to see if your church uses traditional hymns or prefers contemporary hymns.
That’s sad, but it’s probably true.There will be a time when “Lord of the Dance” and “Sing a New Church into Being” will be seen as traditional hymns…![]()
I sing weddings. Once a bride asked me for the “traditional” Wedding Song. What she meant was that monstrosity by Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul & Mary.There will be a time when “Lord of the Dance” and “Sing a New Church into Being” will be seen as traditional hymns…![]()
I honestly do not see this happening. For a song to make the cut it needs at least two things – a very strong lyric that resonates the “tradition” of the Church and a well structured melody that is easily fixed in the memory.There will be a time when “Lord of the Dance” and “Sing a New Church into Being” will be seen as traditional hymns…![]()
Hahaha! Oh, yes, that is probably something which should be clarified. What is meant by “traditional”? Some people I know and parishes I’ve freelanced in look at hymns like “On Eagle’s Wings” and “Be Not Afraid” as traditional hymns because they do them so often and are considered “old” now.I sing weddings. Once a bride asked me for the “traditional” Wedding Song. What she meant was that monstrosity by Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul & Mary.
Betsy
In the classical singing world, “Simple Gifts” is only considered a traditional folk song melody, even though it is often attributed as a Shaker hymn, which is, in itself a traditional hymn for that. But as traditionally “Catholic”, I think you are right, that it is not really strongly a Catholic traditional hymn. The text setting of “Lord of the Dance” is a totally different being altogether and considerably pales in comparison to the original - at least in my opinion. I haven’t even heard it done in any of the parishes I’ve either worked in or visited for years (although I have become aware on these forums that there are still parishes which do it), so I don’t think it will be considered as a traditional hymn any time soon.Simple Gifts may make the cut (but the “tradition” represented is not really strongly “catholic”) but Lord of the Dance is not substantial enough on either count.