W
WorkerPriest
Guest
I appreciate your kindness as well, and I do appreciate your zeal.
As a disclaimer, I am among the most catholic minded Lutherans you’ll ever run into. My studies of the Fathers and their perspectives on the Holy Scriptures have deeply shaped my understandings, too (as have my deep studies of the Lutheran Confessions, with all their references to the Fathers.)
You are right to note, that schism is a disgrace upon the Church, and something that inhibits our witness to the world. This must be corrected, and we should put all our zeal into healing the Body of Christ. As I have mentioned to my parishioners, there are obviously no schisms in the Body of Christ in Heaven-- all are fully united in Christ, and our divisive dross shall be purged away. There is much to be burned in our collective purgation.
I fear we have left the original intent of this thread, but I have enjoyed our discussion. May God bless and keep you.
As a disclaimer, I am among the most catholic minded Lutherans you’ll ever run into. My studies of the Fathers and their perspectives on the Holy Scriptures have deeply shaped my understandings, too (as have my deep studies of the Lutheran Confessions, with all their references to the Fathers.)
You are right to note, that schism is a disgrace upon the Church, and something that inhibits our witness to the world. This must be corrected, and we should put all our zeal into healing the Body of Christ. As I have mentioned to my parishioners, there are obviously no schisms in the Body of Christ in Heaven-- all are fully united in Christ, and our divisive dross shall be purged away. There is much to be burned in our collective purgation.
I fear we have left the original intent of this thread, but I have enjoyed our discussion. May God bless and keep you.
Once authority is lost then it’s every person for themself and the directives become subjective. My analogy was weak since it is Jesus who entrusted the Apostles with His authority and there are many scripture passages that state this. See John 20:19-23 for one example. But, anyhow, I am where I am with the evidence provided by both Catholics and Protestants alike. I have read through many Protestant publications and researched Church history to a somewhat great degree. All things point to authority and who has what authority to speak on Scripture; its canonicity, interpretation and maintenance throughout the centuries of time.
Whenever a non-Catholic Christian makes a statement I always ask by what authority does he or she speak. If I get, “I speak on the authority of Scripture” then I beg the question as to how Scripture is authoritative on its own. A book cannot claim inspiration simply because it says so. We could say the same for the Koran and The Book of Mormon. They both make the same claim. There has to be an authoritative body that is guided by the same Holy Spirit that inspired the authors of Scripture to guide the Church in the acknowledgement of its canonicity and to guide the Church in its interpretation. It is extremely obvious what happens when the Bible is left up for personal interpretation… 33,000 different denominations all claiming the guidence of the Holy Spirit yet all divided on interpretation. Not what Christ expressed to His Father in John chapter 17… So sad indeed!
Peace be with you and I am only expressing my findings in the truth of the Catholic Church. You seem like a very nice person and you are presenting yourself in an extremely ecumenical manner and for that I thank you. I hope that you see my passion for my faith in the same light… God bless…teachccd