Dont think it's the right forum but this is about the catechism

  • Thread starter Thread starter TeenageConvert
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TeenageConvert

Guest
Sorry if it isn’t the right spot, if you know of a better one lemme know:)
Ok so do you think a 14 year old could understand The Catechism? I’ve read the “New St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism” but i’d kinda like to read the real catechism lol.
I’m an honors student so I could understand thing quicker/easier than a typical 14 year old but I’m still worried that I’ll open the book and it look like a foreign language haha.
I’ve heard of a “fr Mcbride’s teen Catechism”(I think that’s what it’s called) do you think I should just read it? Is it good?

Thanks
Pax Christi!
 
I am a protestant with very clear views as to why I am not a Catholic, however I love the Church and am happy you are finding a home there.

Concerning the catechism I think you should read it. The things I find most admirable about the RCC is that it clearly teaches what is to be believed and not just to believe. If you are concerned about understanding it I am sure you will find many books in the Catholic bookstore which help you to explain it and like anything else concerning the Faith you should be prayerful as you read and pray the Holy Spirit to open your eyes so you may understand it teaches.

James 1: 4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that ***you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, ***with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

Also remember the catechism is written specifically to be understandable. So as you read meditate on each sentence, take notes and apply your mind. You will do well it is not difficult to understand.

God Bless
 
I’ve never read the full catechism but I have read the compendium of the catechism and that is definitely very accesible and understandable. I was 16 when I took RCIA and got a copy of the compendium of the catechism and found it very helpful. Try the full catechism by all means but if you find it difficult to understand then the compendium is a good alternative.
 
The Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) is a reference book, like an encyclopedia. It is rather thick (larger than many Bibles) and more intended as a guide for making a specific catechisms for specific needs. Fr. Mcbride’s Teen Catechism is one such book. I have not reviewed it but it seems likely that the presentation style will closely match the interests and language style familiar to most modern teens.

I mostly pull out the CCC when I want to understand one particular concept more fully. The full catechism is philosophical in composition and not really formatted for just reading through (try reading a dictionary - that will give you an idea).

You might check with your parish what catechism they use or just try Fr. McBride’s. Then look up concepts you want to understand more fully in the CCC.
 
It is definitely understandable at age 14. All confirmation students receive a catechism, and they are 15-16 when they are confirmed.
 
JESUS, THE CATECHISM, AND ME

by Rev. Robert J. Levis, Ph.D. A brief companion to the Catechism of the Catholic Church and a local catechism fully approved by ecclesiastic authorities. This book is most helpful to students in upper grade school, high school students and candidates for Confirmation. With precise question-and-answer format, this book is concise and easy to use
 
Ok so do you think a 14 year old could understand The Catechism?
Before you read the Catechism try reading the Compendium. The Compendium of the Cathechism of the Catholic Church is just like the real Catechism except trimmed down into a punchy “just the facts” question and answer format.

In order to realize more fully the Catechism’s potential and in response to the request that had emerged at the International Catechetical Congress of October 2002, Pope John Paul II, in 2003, established a Commission under the presidency of Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger… The Compendium is not a work that stands alone, nor is it intended in any way to replace the Catechism of the Catholic Church: instead, it refers constantly to the Catechism by means of reference numbers printed in the margins, as well as by consistent reliance on its structure, development and contents. **In fact, the Compendium is meant to reawaken interest in and enthusiasm for the Catechism, **which, in the wisdom of its presentation and the depth of its spirituality, always remains the basic text for catechesis in the Church today.

The Compendium is available at the Vatican website here:
vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html
 
My priest recommends that everyone read the Bible (the whole Bible) before they look into Theological books, because it is, after all The Book when it comes to Christian beliefs. I’m not sure to what extent this applies to you, but I thought I’d share.

Bon voyage!

PeaceSerenity
 
My priest recommends that everyone read the Bible (the whole Bible) before they look into Theological books, because it is, after all The Book when it comes to Christian beliefs. I’m not sure to what extent this applies to you, but I thought I’d share.

Bon voyage!

PeaceSerenity
The Catechism brings Scripture and Tradition together in a teachable way.
 
hiya welcome to the forums
we use Fr McBride’s Teen Catechism in some classes, because of the way it presents each topic. For one thing it follows closely the structure of the CCC. Each topic is presented with a short paragraph on “what does the world say about this”, then “what does the Catechism say” and “what does the Bible/Christ say?”. Then the readings from the CCC and bible and other sources, and discusses questions explore these more in depth. For format works well because our teens seem to learn through actually looking up and reading the sources themselves, and in guided discussion small groups, than just reading on their own or hearing a lecture.

Before you buy anything check with your parish, they may have books to give you. All our Teens are given a bible and a CCC to keep after they use them in class, and anyone who does not enroll in CCD or Confirmation class can still have both just for the asking. Anyone who wants to do self study at home gets Teen Cat or similar resource to use.

If you like the Q&A style try catholic.net their on-line catechism course
 
😃 thanks for all the replies!
I think I’m gonna get the teen catechism& maybe try to read the compendium online

and to the person who posted above me, the books my parish uses is the one I
've already read, the st. joseph baltimore catechism, but thatnks anyway.
 
Sorry if it isn’t the right spot, if you know of a better one lemme know:)
Ok so do you think a 14 year old could understand The Catechism? I’ve read the “New St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism” but i’d kinda like to read the real catechism lol.
I’m an honors student so I could understand thing quicker/easier than a typical 14 year old but I’m still worried that I’ll open the book and it look like a foreign language haha.
I’ve heard of a “fr Mcbride’s teen Catechism”(I think that’s what it’s called) do you think I should just read it? Is it good?

Thanks
Pax Christi!
My teenager at age 14 could read and understand the Catechism. I don’t see that it is all that complicated. Give it a try, if you have any questions, let me know.

Catechism of the Catholic Church
scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

Cardinal Arinze recommends reading the Catechism daily.
 
I suggest that you read the “U.S. Catholic Catechism for Adults”. This is the Catechism that was made for U.S. Catholics on behalf of the U.S. bishops and is based on the international Catechism of the Catholic Church. It is a little bit shorter, more logically organized in my opinion, and includes solid Church teaching. A link:

amazon.com/United-States-Catholic-Catechism-Adults/dp/1574554506
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top