A
alebeau
Guest
Hello,
I’ve been reading some articles discussing the compatibility between Catholic theology and Evolution. Gladly, I was relieved to see that there are seemingly no direct contradictions.
My only concern was this:
According to Pius XII’s 1950 encyclical Humani Generis 36–37, our first parents “were also endowed with donum immortalitatis, i.e., the gift of bodily immortality.”
This statement by Pope Pius is clearly an attempt to explain the natural world - which I am not necessarily opposed to.
Knowing, however, that this is in direct contradiction to a proven scientific truth (according to modern biology), doesn’t this suggest that this “infallible” teaching (de Fide) is wrong, which could possibly undermine the entire authenticity of the Church?
Could anyone help me to reconcile this dogma with our evolution?
Many thanks and blessings,
André L.
I’ve been reading some articles discussing the compatibility between Catholic theology and Evolution. Gladly, I was relieved to see that there are seemingly no direct contradictions.
My only concern was this:
According to Pius XII’s 1950 encyclical Humani Generis 36–37, our first parents “were also endowed with donum immortalitatis, i.e., the gift of bodily immortality.”
This statement by Pope Pius is clearly an attempt to explain the natural world - which I am not necessarily opposed to.
Knowing, however, that this is in direct contradiction to a proven scientific truth (according to modern biology), doesn’t this suggest that this “infallible” teaching (de Fide) is wrong, which could possibly undermine the entire authenticity of the Church?
Could anyone help me to reconcile this dogma with our evolution?
Many thanks and blessings,
André L.