Mary Gail and Contarini,
Can you suggest M acDonald titles? I haven’t been as big a reader of the classics that I should be! Are they high school level reading?
MacDonald wrote a number of children’s stories–but interesting and complex enough that I’d hope a sensible teenager wouldn’t look down on them: The Princess and the Goblin, the Princess and Curdie, and a lot of short stories such as “the Light Princess” and “The Golden Key.” (Some of these are actually more suitable for teenagers than children.) He wrote two fantasies for adults: Phantastes and Lilith. I would recommend Phantastes for a 13-year-old who liked Tolkien–he might find it weird and difficult but it would be worth trying. Lilith is darker and weirder and probably better suited for an older reader.
Macdonald’s more conventional novels are not considered great literature. I enjoy them every much, but even I tend to read them in small doses (this is mostly because I have them on CD, admittedly). As a teenager, I devoured them in modernized, edited editions by Michael Phillips and Dan Hamilton (Hamilton is generally better–though I’m biased because I know him personally-but there are only a few for which versions by both are available, and Phillips beat Hamilton to most of the good ones). I’ll list some of the ones I really like, giving the original title first:
Malcolm (edited by Phillips as
The Fisherman’s Lady)
*The Marquis of Lossie *(sequel to
Malcolm; edited by Phillips as
The Marquis’ Secret)
*Sir Gibbie *(edited by Phillips as
The Baronet’s Song–Phillips is really bad with titles!)
*Alec Forbes of Howglen *(edited by Phillips as
The Maiden’s Bequest)
*What’s Mine’s Mine *(edited by Phillips as
The Highlander’s Last Song–why Phillips was obsessed with songs I don’t know)
*St. Michael and St. George *(edited by Hamilton as
The Last Castle–this is a historical novel about the 17th-century English Civil War, with a portrayal of Catholicism that is remarkably positive for a 19th-century Protestant writer; in fact the heroine is shown overcoming her anti-Catholic prejudices as she serves as a lady in waiting in an aristocratic Catholic family).
One of Macdonald’s most interesting books for fans (because it’s so autobiographical and theological) is *Robert Falconer *(edited by Phillips as
The Musician’s Quest). But I wouldn’t recommend it for your son until he’s read a few of the others (because it’s so autobiographical and theological).
Macdonald’s theology is a bit unorthodox (he was a universalist), though by and large in ways that bother Calvinists more than Catholics.
Edwin