This might be enough to convince some people, but not me.
First of all, you seem to be involving your New Testament comparison argument into our discussion of the Old Testament. Can you clarify this?
Hi Mmortal,
Firstly I have to confess that all I have studied myself closely are the Gospels in Clementine Latin, and the harmonized Gospel in the CF.
I started, taking at face value, the claims made by critics, that this was a Greek, or Syriac text, translated into Latin by comparison to a two column bi-lingual Gospel set.
So I constructed such a set, synchronizing the Douay-Rheims with the Clementine Vulgate Gospels, and repeated the operation to get an English translation.
Also, are you familiar with any of the various analyses comparing the content of the Masoretic Texts to the Septuagint? Even though there are differences, they still overall match up very well, both because it would take a LOT of alterations for them to be very different coming from the same original texts and because the amount of text is very large.
There is a world of difference between two texts, where one might be word for word, even letter for letter, and the other just following the gyst.
The probability of two independant translations of the same root text, even if both being a single stage translation from the same source, to the same target language, being word for word identical is vanishingly small. That I am getting 85%, (by complete verse count), identity between CF Gospel of Matthew, (extracted), and the Clementine Vulgate Matthew, has only three possibilities:
1/ Jerome copied from the CF Gospel,
2/ The CF Gospel is copied from Jerome’s, or
3/ They both copied from the same source, which is now lost.
In this same sense, it would seem to me that the OT of the Vulgate might also just as closely resemble previous translations of the OT and still be considered a “new translation”, because Jerome would have been very familiar with these. I’d like to know what percentage of change you would consider a “new translation”, and whether a percentage of change is more important than the accuracy of a “new translation”.
I class a verse as being altered if as little as the declension of a noun or adjective is altered, or a different substantive is used, even if the meaning has not been changed.
I think that what would be the most important thing to find out is which traditionally notable differences between the Septuagint and the Hebrew were followed more closely by Jerome. Since we don’t have his originals, we can’t know for sure, but we can make an educated guess based on what is still extant, and I am sure that is what the scholars that say he based in on the Hebrew have done.
agreed
From what I know, they weren’t discarded, but instead just initially not accepted, but later fully incorporated. I don’t know enough about the makeup of the Clementine Vulgate to comment on any notions of hybridism between it and the Old Latin Bible. From what I have always read, it was possible corruptions, revisions, and typos crept into Jerome’s original throughout the ages, but I had not heard anything about Old Latin Bible remnants somehow ultimately remaining and superseding his work.
Edit: Oh, and I forgot to throw in this hypothesis: Couldn’t the fact that Greek and Latin are very similar contribute towards any resulting translations of the Old Testament from the Hebrew into the Latin also suitably be quite similar to a translation from the Hebrew to the Greek to the Latin? Now if a very high number amount of word order matches up, I guess because of the fact that they are both inflected languages (word order doesn’t matter so much) would tend to lend more credence to your hypothesis. I don’t know what values linguists would consider as statistically significant when comparing two different translations of ultimately the same originals but in different languages to see whether they were purely new translations or just had some word swapping going on.
I have to repeat that I can only speak with any certainty concerning the Gospels, particularly Matthew and John, which form the basis of the harmonized Gospel. The (name removed by moderator)ut from Luke and Mark is extremely fragmentary, though some of the fragments are quite large.
I have to reccommend that you look at Matthew.pdf which you will find on my web-site.
All the deviations and indirect witnesses are tabulated with comments, and the text is given with the relevant alterations to the Douay-Rheims readings.
My assumption is that what happenned with tjhe Gospels was equally likely to happen with the rest of the work.