I have recently purchased a copy of the Douay Rheims Bible, and although I love it for its very poetic language, I have to say I am a bit unsure of using it as a study Bible for just a couple of reasons as I have discovered.
The first issue being in Genesis 3:15 where the DR translation says…
[15] I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.
But in the original Hebrew, the pro noun used where I highlighted it red is he, not she. Where it says her the second time, it should actually say the “the heel” rather than her heel.
I read an article on this site, which can be found here:
catholic.com/thisrock/1997/9709chap.asp
which also says that it does use he in the original Hebrew rather than she, and the usage of she is most likely a copyists error.
But regardless of pro noun used; both are correct; however I still am a little bit disconcerted since I have been “Bible hunting” for the best translation, and as of now I am not ecstatic about the DR. I find the RSV-CE 2nd edition to be the best.
Another translation issue I have is in 1 Corinthians 15:51-55 [specifically the part in red]
[51] Behold, I tell you a mystery. We shall all indeed rise again: but we shall not all be changed. [52] In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall rise again incorruptible: and we shall be changed. [53] For this corruptible must put on incorruption; and this mortal must put on immortality. [54] And when this mortal hath put on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: Death is swallowed up in victory. [55] O death, where is thy victory? O death, where is thy sting?
Again this seems to be an error. By changed St. Paul is referring to receiving a glorified body at the second coming of Christ, and this translation says that we shall not all be changed. But in the original Greek, it says that we shall all be changed. I assume this is another copyist error, but it concerns me that something like this hasn’t been corrected or addressed, I’m just very confused on all of this.