Doug Brummel

  • Thread starter Thread starter MaryAgnes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MaryAgnes

Guest
Has anyone heard of Doug Brummel? He is “appearing” at our church in Rockwall TX to do a presentation for our Whole Community Catechesis (including RCIA) on Sacraments. From what I’ve read he is a commedian. This does not sound appropriate to me. What do you think?
 
I have never heard of him, but here is his website: dougbrummel.com/ .

Faith and humor are not necessarily incompatible. If he can use humor as a tool to share truths of the faith, that could be a very good thing. (You’ll have to judge for yourself how well he succeeds at doing that.)
 
He’s coming to our parish, too.

from what I’ve heard he is a very orthodox, entertaining, and edifying Catholic presenter. I have a good friend who knows him personally, and she has a high opinion of him.

I’m looking forward to it.
 
He came to our parish a couple of years ago. He is funny, not at all offensive. At one point he pulled me and my sons out of the audience to do a “game” on the sacraments, so he is doing some teaching along with his humor. I wasn’t Catholic at the time, so i got of being on stage and my wife had to replace me. She thought it was hilarious that I was called up and not so funny when she had to replace me.

I highly recommend going to see him, it is well worth your time.
 
This was presented at my church. I did not attend, but I did look at his website ahead of time and saw that his show included him dressing up as several characters-one a nun. I have a dear friend who is a nun and she is very offended by comic portrayals of sisters in movies and plays, so I wonder how she would have felt about his performance.
🤷
 
The other reason I decided not to go (beside the fact that he started at 6:47 and did not end till close to 9 on a school night) is that his “shtick” takes place on the altar. I don’t know, it kind of gave me the willies seeing a comedy act-albeit one geared toward catechizing-up on the altar.

The characters he portrays seem to be stereotypes-the nun, the red hat lady, the father uncomfortable with spiritual life, etc. Stereotyping does have a way of hurting-even if that is not the intention. Like I mentioned before, I have become very sensitive to comic portrayals of nuns after hearing how hurtful it is to my friend.

Now, granted, I did not go, but those were some of my reasons not to.
 
The other reason I decided not to go (beside the fact that he started at 6:47 and did not end till close to 9 on a school night) is that his “shtick” takes place on the altar. I don’t know, it kind of gave me the willies seeing a comedy act-albeit one geared toward catechizing-up on the altar.
I hope you mean “in the sanctuary” — the area around the altar. The altar is the table on which the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass takes place. Nothing other than the sacred vessels, bread and wine, altar linens, candles, and necessary books should be on the altar.
 
The sanctuary is a very sacred place–it is the place the altar stands. And the altar is not only the place of sacrifice, it is also the symbol of the sacrifice itself, our most precious Lord. I find it very disconcerting that this sacred space should be used as a stage for sheer entertainment.

It will be hard not to think of this “comic” the next time Father says Mass. :eek:
 
I hope you mean “in the sanctuary” — the area around the altar. The altar is the table on which the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass takes place. Nothing other than the sacred vessels, bread and wine, altar linens, candles, and necessary books should be on the altar.
So you think this kind of comedic “entertainment” is appropriate in the sanctuary around the Table of Our Lord??? Really. 🤷
 
He came to our parish a couple of years ago. He is funny, not at all offensive. At one point he pulled me and my sons out of the audience to do a “game” on the sacraments, so he is doing some teaching along with his humor. I wasn’t Catholic at the time, so i got of being **on stage **and my wife had to replace me. She thought it was hilarious that I was called up and not so funny when she had to replace me.

I highly recommend going to see him, it is well worth your time.
If I may ask … was this “stage” in the parish hall or in the Sanctuary??
 
So you think this kind of comedic “entertainment” is appropriate in the sanctuary around the Table of Our Lord??? Really. 🤷
No, of course that’s not what I meant. If the parish has another space available that would be much more appropriate.
 
I attended a show of his show at a church in the Archdiocese of Louisville last year. He was very enjoyable. The show was held in the Sanctuary but the altar, pulpit, etc. were all gone and it was bare. It is not offensive at all…light-hearted and sad at times and very much focused on spreading the truths of the Catholic faith.
 
We have seen Doug Brummel several times now over the years. His mission is an unusual one that the whole family will enjoy! Both my husband and myself and our children have gotten a lot out of his presentation. He makes you laugh and he makes you think about your faith too, with his different characters. The nun is one of our favorites. She is funny, yet respectfully presented. I would highly recommend seeing him. We just saw him recently at a vocations conference and you could easily see that the sisters, priests and brothers there also enjoyed Doug much too. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top