Dream, Apparition, Blessing, Warning or am I going crazy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter HollowGhost
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HollowGhost

Guest
Hello everyone. I want to share something interesting that occurred to me last night. First a little background. STRONG faith, cradle Catholic. Almost six months ago wife of 23 years admits to a past although over affair (you can read the thread “Please pray for a very devastated man” in the Family section).

Anyways, we have undergone an intense spiritual journey culminating in my wife becoming Catholic and us renewing our vows as Catholics, a miracle ending in my humble opinion.

Throughout this journey, one of the “good things” that has occurred is my (and my wife’s) complete devotion to our Blessed Mother. I always wanted a relationship with her but did not quite know how to go about getting one. I realize that throughout my purification through humiliation and the carrying of my new Cross that she has held my hand every step of the way. I could not have gotten through this ultimate trial and my marriage would not have survived without her intercession; she is truly wonderful!

So I got home from work last night and everyone was in bed. I still have good days and bad (make no mistake but infidelity cuts to the depths of your soul) and yesterday was a bit of a bad day (negative thoughts, am I doing the right thing, is this miracle I believe that is happening in my marriage real, etc.). I decided to watch a few Catholic videos on YouTube. I had been in Scripture all day (working on a healing devotional book using Jeremiah as a basis, you know The Balm in Gilead).

I was getting really tired so I decided that what I needed was to say a rosary which I have been trying to do of late but admittedly with four kids this has proven difficult. I started one very late but only made it through the first mystery whereby I promised Our Blessed Mother that I would finish today because I was falling asleep. The rosary is new for me but I do believe in the healing powers of it and find comfort in it as well.

I awoke in the middle of the night feeling a strong presence in the room and when I looked up at the door, I saw a shadowy figure of Our Blessed Mother. The odd part is that she was in black and white. I did not stare and only caught a glimpse because I sensed such a Holy Presence that I turned, hid my face under the covers, and simply said that I am a sinner and have no right to look upon her Holy Face. I did however have the presence of mind to tell her that I would be happy to hear her voice! Unfortunately, she did not speak but I was probably too shocked to listen anyway.

That’s it, that’s all I remember. The only things I will add is that I am a VERY heavy sleeper. I rarely dream (at least that I remember) but when I do, I dream in color. I can assure you I have never dreamed of Our Blessed Mother before; other than the Hail Mary’s we all pray and an occasional chat with her that was the extent of our relationship.

I think she is telling me two things: She approves of what my wife and I are doing with regard to doubling down on our marriage and each other (with God first and foremost this time) and that I am to begin saying the rosary. Perhaps she would have been in color had I finished?

Lastly, on a humorous note the words from the MercyMe song “I can only imagine” come to mind: Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still? Will I sing Hallelujah, will I be able to sing at all?.. I hid under the covers!

Your Brother in Christ,

HollowGhost

Please pray for me, my wife, and the continued healing of our marriage.
 
Hello everyone. I want to share something interesting that occurred to me last night. First a little background. STRONG faith, cradle Catholic. Almost six months ago wife of 23 years admits to a past although over affair (you can read the thread “Please pray for a very devastated man” in the Family section).

Anyways, we have undergone an intense spiritual journey culminating in my wife becoming Catholic and us renewing our vows as Catholics, a miracle ending in my humble opinion.

Throughout this journey, one of the “good things” that has occurred is my (and my wife’s) complete devotion to our Blessed Mother. I always wanted a relationship with her but did not quite know how to go about getting one. I realize that throughout my purification through humiliation and the carrying of my new Cross that she has held my hand every step of the way. I could not have gotten through this ultimate trial and my marriage would not have survived without her intercession; she is truly wonderful!

So I got home from work last night and everyone was in bed. I still have good days and bad (make no mistake but infidelity cuts to the depths of your soul) and yesterday was a bit of a bad day (negative thoughts, am I doing the right thing, is this miracle I believe that is happening in my marriage real, etc.). I decided to watch a few Catholic videos on YouTube. I had been in Scripture all day (working on a healing devotional book using Jeremiah as a basis, you know The Balm in Gilead).

I was getting really tired so I decided that what I needed was to say a rosary which I have been trying to do of late but admittedly with four kids this has proven difficult. I started one very late but only made it through the first mystery whereby I promised Our Blessed Mother that I would finish today because I was falling asleep. The rosary is new for me but I do believe in the healing powers of it and find comfort in it as well.

I awoke in the middle of the night feeling a strong presence in the room and when I looked up at the door, I saw a shadowy figure of Our Blessed Mother. The odd part is that she was in black and white. I did not stare and only caught a glimpse because I sensed such a Holy Presence that I turned, hid my face under the covers, and simply said that I am a sinner and have no right to look upon her Holy Face. I did however have the presence of mind to tell her that I would be happy to hear her voice! Unfortunately, she did not speak but I was probably too shocked to listen anyway.

That’s it, that’s all I remember. The only things I will add is that I am a VERY heavy sleeper. I rarely dream (at least that I remember) but when I do, I dream in color. I can assure you I have never dreamed of Our Blessed Mother before; other than the Hail Mary’s we all pray and an occasional chat with her that was the extent of our relationship.

I think she is telling me two things: She approves of what my wife and I are doing with regard to doubling down on our marriage and each other (with God first and foremost this time) and that I am to begin saying the rosary. Perhaps she would have been in color had I finished?

Lastly, on a humorous note the words from the MercyMe song “I can only imagine” come to mind: Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still? Will I sing Hallelujah, will I be able to sing at all?.. I hid under the covers!

Your Brother in Christ,

HollowGhost

Please pray for me, my wife, and the continued healing of our marriage.
If it was Our Lady, you would indeed be blessed!

I’m struggling with my own faith at this moment.

I’ve had my own relationship difficulties, would encourage most people who are wrestling with the aftermath of infidelity to consider counseling…both individual and marriage counseling.

May Our Lady help you both.
 
  1. Honestly, it doesn’t matter whether it was a dream sent by God or an apparition, because either way, it does sound like Mary came to give you some encouragement and consolation. If something unusual and miraculous occurs, the exact mechanism isn’t too important. Just praise God!
  2. It is possible for someone who usually dreams in color to dream in black and white. But of course it’s also possible that, if you wake up and it’s very dark, sometimes your eyes don’t wake up all the way and there are odd vision effects.
I don’t remember the technical term for this, but several years ago I had a scary experience where one eye had good night vision of my room and the other saw everything as dark. But the eye doctor said it’s just something that happens to some people as they grow older; the night vision just takes a bit longer to kick in, or one eye responds better to certain cues and not to others.
  1. I am glad things are going well for your wife and you!
 
Thanks Mintaka!

Things going as well as can be expected. Finished full rosary yesterday as promised. Have decided that I am going to do a daily rosary for Lent; have never done that but figure maybe that is what she was trying to tell me.

Your Brother in Christ,

HollowGhost
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top