dress......

  • Thread starter Thread starter SacredHeartFan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SacredHeartFan

Guest
Just out of curiouisty…

I kind of consider myself tradditionally minded. I wear nice slacks, shirt and tie to mass and recieve on the tounge. The only problem my dad thinks I have is my converse. :rolleyes: They are the only shoes I wear (besides the occasional beach flip-flops). He keeps telling me to wear dress shoes, but to be honest, i would wear my converse if I had a private audience with the pope. I was wondering if any hard core traddtional Catholics do something like this that doesn’t really fit the “tradditional” label. Just curious…
 
What do your Converse look like? Are they ratty, full of holes and smell like something the dog dug up? If so, I’m going to have to side with your parental unit.
 
Short answer…

Honor thy father and thy mother

Wear the dress shoes at Mass 😉
 
Mate, there’s a HUUUGE variety of footwear out there, find something dressy you like and wear them. A mate of mine wears highly-polished square-toed, Cuban heeled motorcycle boots, but they look excellent and dressy. Unless you’re talking Converse tactical-type black boots, lose the sneakers. Even a pair of nice Doc Martens would be better.
 
I used to think that shoes were just shoes. Finally, after my mother, father, grandparents, sisters, and friends go on and on I get it.

Wearing shoes that don’t go with the outfit makes the whole thing pointless (from a style viewpoint, and as we wear our best for God, style matters, at least in my opinion). It’s like making a cake and then leaving frosting off a huge chunk, or painting a great picture, but then switching from Impressionist style to abstract for a section, It jolts you, makes you stop and think “wait, what?”

You’re wearing the nice clothes because you recognize that God is deserving of our best. Society determines what our best is, in this area. If our society said crisp white togas were dress clothes, that’s what we’d wear. Your clothes are a sign to others that “where I am, what I am doing, is important to me”. When you then don’t go the whole hog, people notice and will come to conclusions.

That all being said, wear the convers if you want. Really, God knows you’ve put on the other clothes to show honor and respect to Him.
 
they are black low-top converse and I would say they are in pretty good shape. But the point of my thread is to see if any other tradditional people did something that just doesn’t fit the “tradditional” image.
 
To tell you the truth, I’ve only seen young kids (those acting as altar servers) wear tennis shoes to Mass, when they are wearing nice/respectful clothing otherwise. My opinion is that it is saying that “what I want” and comfort are more important to that person than the Lord. Since Lent is shortly upon us, maybe this would be an opportune time (without showing that you are giving assent to your dad) to wear adult shoes.
 
they are black low-top converse and I would say they are in pretty good shape. But the point of my thread is to see if any other tradditional people did something that just doesn’t fit the “tradditional” image.
Oooooh, I misunderstood. 😊

If you look under my mantilla, you will see that I have three earrings in the left ear and one earring in the right. 😃
 
Hmmm…me too, if you looked under the nice long-sleeved shirts I wear to Mass, you’d find a quite a number of tattoos…
 
I wear a pair of black shoes with velcro fasteners.

I have gout and my feet swell a lot. Sometimes they are quite painful.

And yes, I would wear them to meet the Pope.
 
Me, too… I am getting ready to guage the second hole in my ear up to a 4. I have 4 other holes in my left ear, and 3 other in my right. I also have 4 tattoos and will be finishing up my back piece, hopefully by my birthday in May. All can be hidden very easily, and I use the icthus on my right upper arm as a guideline on how short my sleeves can be.

I also switch in between a long rectangular scarf and a mantilla sometimes. I am building up a collection so I can match to the liturgical color. 😉 I’m a “smells and bells” type of gal, too.

Ericka
 
Just out of curiouisty…

I kind of consider myself tradditionally minded. I wear nice slacks, shirt and tie to mass and recieve on the tounge. The only problem my dad thinks I have is my converse. :rolleyes: They are the only shoes I wear (besides the occasional beach flip-flops). He keeps telling me to wear dress shoes, but to be honest, i would wear my converse if I had a private audience with the pope. I was wondering if any hard core traddtional Catholics do something like this that doesn’t really fit the “tradditional” label. Just curious…
I sure hope there’s not actually a traditional “label”:rolleyes: But I hear you.
I hate when folks try to box you into some kind of mold then assume not fitting into it shows a lack of holiness, or orthodoxy, or whatever.For goodness sakes.
That said, I’m always after my son for coming to Mass in ratty attire & in need of a haircut. But the important thing is that he’s there.Worn out jeans, cowboy shirt & all.🙂
 
I also switch in between a long rectangular scarf and a mantilla sometimes. I am building up a collection so I can match to the liturgical color. 😉 I’m a “smells and bells” type of gal, too.

Ericka
Hey, me too! I switch between a rebozo (Mexican shawl/scarf) and a mantilla. I have a collection of mostly black mantillas, one gorgeous white one (Easter & Christmas), but I do have my eye on a beautiful purple one for Lent. 😉
 
Hey, me too! I switch between a rebozo (Mexican shawl/scarf) and a mantilla. I have a collection of mostly black mantillas, one gorgeous white one (Easter & Christmas), but I do have my eye on a beautiful purple one for Lent. 😉
Surprisingly, I just found a really pretty deep purple scarf at Walmart, of all places! I bought it right then and there. I just got a pedicure, too, and chose purple because it was the Saturday before Septuagesima, and I wanted to match the liturgical color.
 
Surprisingly, I just found a really pretty deep purple scarf at Walmart, of all places! I bought it right then and there. I just got a pedicure, too, and chose purple because it was the Saturday before Septuagesima, and I wanted to match the liturgical color.
👍 👍
 
Surprisingly, I just found a really pretty deep purple scarf at Walmart, of all places! I bought it right then and there. I just got a pedicure, too, and chose purple because it was the Saturday before Septuagesima, and I wanted to match the liturgical color.
I did the same thing with liturgical colors when I had braces. I would get purple for Lent and Advent and wear blue for Marian Feasts. I did green during Ordinary Time, but that got old after a while.😉
 
God’s not going to judge you on your shoes. I see nothing wrong with wearing Converse to Church. A girl wearing a really low cut top, yes. Someone wearing a shirt advertising beer or drugs, yes. Converse, no. Frankly, I’m a hard-core Catholic and I attend mass reguarlly in jeans and sneakers. Of course, I have religion class before and my church is more low-key. But still

-Jeanne
 
they are black low-top converse and I would say they are in pretty good shape. But the point of my thread is to see if any other tradditional people did something that just doesn’t fit the “tradditional” image.
I have a nose ring, does that count?

And I ALWAYS cover my head for Mass! 😃 I have long hair and my hair is always covered … so …
 
Oh. Sorry. I misunderstood.

So does my tattoo count then? It’s a Celtic cross with a lion in it, so maybe not. LoL.

My favorite TV show is Big Love too - the one about the polygamists. That probably qualifies as something you wouldn’t expect of a traditional Catholic.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top