M
MN19
Guest
I have some habits while I drive my car that I’m having a hard time discerning whether or not they are sins, and if so, if they’re venial or mortal. My first habit is that I tend to go over the speed limit while driving, but typically no more than 3-4 mph over the limit. The second habit is briefly being distracted, where I might look down at my phone for a few seconds to check my navigational map or spend a few seconds opening a cough drop. These habits seem like they might be sinful because some would consider it a safety risk and the speeding could potentially go against Catholics’ obligation to obey laws. Even though I don’t speed that much past the limit and I only look away briefly if I’m sure I’m not putting the safety of myself or anyone else in danger, I still wonder if it’s something that could be considered mortal sin.