Drunk on St. Patrick's Day :(

  • Thread starter Thread starter The_Catholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The_Catholic

Guest
Why do people party and get wasted on St. Patrick’s Day? Where did that come about? Frankly, after knowing who St. Patrick was and what he did I find it highly offensive in celebrating him by getting drunk and all the other things which go along with it.

I don’t know, am I being too “old fashioned?” Does anyone else feel this way?
 
I agree with you.

I don’t see how St. Patrick is honored by drunkedness and revelry during Lent–especially by people who don’t even know who he is and don’t want to know.
 
Well, drinking alcohol is usually a part of feasts and celebrations particularly in certain cultures. Not so much in the United States for holy days (though do think of occasions like weddings where the happy couple is not in the majority if at least champagne isn’t present), but St. Patrick’s day is so near and dear to the Irish-American population, and let’s face it, much as I hate to generalize and I hope I don’t cause offense by saying so, but the Irish culture doesn’t exactly give the hairy eyeball to a good pint on a day of celebration 😃

It’s never right to let yourself get smashed, mind you, and no, I don’t see how people would think he’d be honored by this. I think in many of those cases, people are not really trying to honor St. Patrick but the St. Patrick’s day celebration itself, if you see what I’m saying, kind of like a “secularized” version much like Christmas has a secular celebration. I don’t think it’s being old fashioned to frown at that. The saints deserve our respect.

But I see nothing wrong with having a good beer or two on that day (knowing one’s limits) or why St. Patrick would be offended by anyone doing so. Do we even know whether he drank himself? It’s not like imbibing (without intoxication) is a sin.

(Personally, I can’t drink alcohol because of my medication. But I’d be happy to raise a bottle for St. Patrick if I could! :irish3: )
 
Well, drinking alcohol is usually a part of feasts and celebrations particularly in certain cultures. Not so much in the United States for holy days (though do think of occasions like weddings where the happy couple is not in the majority if at least champagne isn’t present), but St. Patrick’s day is so near and dear to the Irish-American population, and let’s face it, much as I hate to generalize and I hope I don’t cause offense by saying so, but the Irish culture doesn’t exactly give the hairy eyeball to a good pint on a day of celebration 😃

It’s never right to let yourself get smashed, mind you, and no, I don’t see how people would think he’d be honored by this. I think in many of those cases, people are not really trying to honor St. Patrick but the St. Patrick’s day celebration itself, if you see what I’m saying, kind of like a “secularized” version much like Christmas has a secular celebration. I don’t think it’s being old fashioned to frown at that. The saints deserve our respect.

But I see nothing wrong with having a good beer or two on that day (knowing one’s limits) or why St. Patrick would be offended by anyone doing so. Do we even know whether he drank himself? It’s not like imbibing (without intoxication) is a sin.

(Personally, I can’t drink alcohol because of my medication. But I’d be happy to raise a bottle for St. Patrick if I could! :irish3: )
I agree 100% That’s EXACTLY what it has become for some, like a Catholic woman I know, who plans on geeting “smashed and maybe even flashing men” at the celebration, though she may have been joking about the latter part. Still, I can’t picture the Saints in Heaven, nonetheless God being pleased.

For your last comment, I love beer, one of my favorite drinks next to coffee, so I agree, nothing wrong in celebrating like that. But the whole mindset of some (the exessive drinking, drugs and sex) it utterly ridiculous.

God bless.
 
(Personally, I can’t drink alcohol because of my medication. But I’d be happy to raise a bottle for St. Patrick if I could! :irish3: )
Well, if you can’t have a Guinness, you could try some diluted roofing tar…

(as a friend of mine once opined on the taste of the stout)

You could try a de-alcoholized beer – preferably one with an Irish name, like O’Doul’s? 😃

Or perhaps just raise a glass of Coke O’Cola…
 
There is a stereotype that Irish people drink a lot. Heck, I recall a native Irish comedian joking about a man who was half Irish and half Scottish - “Half of him always wanted to get drunk and the other half didn’t want to pay for it.”

I don’t know what the situation is with Ireland and drinking in reality. If anyone from Ireland wants to chime in on that, please do.

ANYway…

I think that people in the US often associate pubs and drinking with Ireland. Therefore, when the Irish holiday (as we see it), St. Patrick’s Day, comes along many people see it as an excuse to drink. Furthermore, the pubs and bars cash in on the idea by offering things like celtic entertainers and even green beer.

Now, seeing as some fine Catholic monks have been involved in creating excellent alcohols and continue to do so even now, there is nothing wrong with having alcohol in moderation. But clearly drunkeness is a sin and I think St. Patrick would never approve of it.
 
There is a stereotype that Irish people drink a lot. Heck, I recall a native Irish comedian joking about a man who was half Irish and half Scottish - “Half of him always wanted to get drunk and the other half didn’t want to pay for it.”
Joke based on cultural stereotypes (really funny, though*). Irish: drunk, lazy, stupid, pugnacious, usually only employed as barkeeps, ditchdiggers, priests, and cops. Scots: the main attribute I remember credited to them is cheapness – pinch a penny till the Queen cried, as it were.

*The joke you mentioned was funny, not the general stereotype(s).
40.png
Steeltemplar:
I don’t know what the situation is with Ireland and drinking in reality. If anyone from Ireland wants to chime in on that, please do.

ANYway…

I think that people in the US often associate pubs and drinking with Ireland. Therefore, when the Irish holiday (as we see it), St. Patrick’s Day, comes along many people see it as an excuse to drink. Furthermore, the pubs and bars cash in on the idea by offering things like celtic entertainers and even green beer.
Yes, the celebration feeds into the stereotype. In some ways, Oktoberfests are going the same way. I went to an Oktoberfest in Munich back in 1985 – no drunks, no untoward behaviours, just really good beer, copious food, oom-pah-pah bands, and ubiquitous silly plastic German caps with feathers in (mostly perched on the pates of tourists). I went to Oktoberfest more recently on this side of the pond, and basically it was a frat kegger with a side of sauerkraut.
40.png
Steeltemplar:
Now, seeing as some fine Catholic monks have been involved in creating excellent alcohols and continue to do so even now, there is nothing wrong with having alcohol in moderation. But clearly drunkeness is a sin and I think St. Patrick would never approve of it.
Agreed. I also don’t think the Lord meant His Resurrection to be commemorated by gorging oneself stupid on chocolate animals, but that’s what happens when the profane get their mitts on the sacred.
 
Well, if you can’t have a Guinness, you could try some diluted roofing tar…

(as a friend of mine once opined on the taste of the stout)

You could try a de-alcoholized beer – preferably one with an Irish name, like O’Doul’s? 😃

Or perhaps just raise a glass of Coke O’Cola…
Well, I guess I should clarify I’m not supposed to drink on my meds rather than being instantly struck dead if I do so (roofing tar, however, might accomplish that! And how did your friend know what that tastes like, anyway? :eek:)

Alcohol-free beer is like decaf coffee, if you ask me. What the heck is the point? :rolleyes:
 
Agreed. I also don’t think the Lord meant His Resurrection to be commemorated by gorging oneself stupid on chocolate animals, but that’s what happens when the profane get their mitts on the sacred.
If it makes you feel any better, they sell chocolate crosses, too.
 
I think St Patricks day is no longer about St Patrick 😦

just like St Valentines day is no longer about St Valentine…
and Easter is now about bunnies… (oki they’re cute but seriously…)
and Christmas is about Santa Claus.
 
Why do people party and get wasted on St. Patrick’s Day? Where did that come about? Frankly, after knowing who St. Patrick was and what he did I find it highly offensive in celebrating him by getting drunk and all the other things which go along with it.

I don’t know, am I being too “old fashioned?” Does anyone else feel this way?
It is an ugly Irish stereotype, that the Irish always get drunk when they drink. That’s where the secular celebration of the Feast of Saint Patrick comes from.
 
Why do people party and get wasted on St. Patrick’s Day? Where did that come about? Frankly, after knowing who St. Patrick was and what he did I find it highly offensive in celebrating him by getting drunk and all the other things which go along with it.

I don’t know, am I being too “old fashioned?” Does anyone else feel this way?
Yeah, it kind of bugs me, too. Especially as a person of 1/4th Irish descent. I am a bit offended by the ethnic “stereotype”; that Irish people are drinkers and drunkerds. Ridiculous. The St. Patrick’s Day “party decorations” you see now, seem to promote this idea. Little green, plastic beer mugs. You see them on everything from necklaces to party lights.

So stupid, really.

Good St. Patick, Apostle of Ireland… pray for us. :shamrock2:
 
There is a stereotype that Irish people drink a lot. Heck, I recall a native Irish comedian joking about a man who was half Irish and half Scottish - “Half of him always wanted to get drunk and the other half didn’t want to pay for it.”

I don’t know what the situation is with Ireland and drinking in reality. If anyone from Ireland wants to chime in on that, please do.
4 of my 6 uncles as well as my grandfather are recovered alcoholics. It is a problem.

That said I will drink on St. Patrick’s day, I will also break my fast, and abstinence from meat and dairy as I am Irish, it is a feast day and without St. Patrick being sent by God I may not be a Catholic today.
 
I have to say, I’m more annoyed by the dreadful Irish accents people try and put on this time of year than anything else; especially when it falls in the middle of the week, lots of people talk about drinking, but very few people I’ve known actually get drunk on St. Patrick’s Day.
 
I have to say, I’m more annoyed by the dreadful Irish accents people try and put on this time of year than anything else;
Never say “Irish ACCENT” in front of my half Irish mother. Good chance she will give you a bop on the noggin’ :blackeye: and say… “Irish BROGUE”. When we were kids, we use to tease her with this all the time. Apparently, our great-grandpa had a brogue you could cut with a knife… and we’d say… “Mama, tell us about great-grandpa’s Irish ACCENT”… then we’d duck for cover. :rotfl:

Bad kids, we were… 😉
 
Well, if you can’t have a Guinness, you could try some diluted roofing tar…
Although I don’t consume alcohol and so have never tasted Guinness, if you want to have a Guinness as it should be then you have to come to Ireland for a pint. Seriously - exported Guinness is pasteurised as far as I know, so like pasteurised milk the flavour is greatly altered. If you drink Guinness outside Ireland you’re not getting the real deal!

As for drunkenness on St Patrick’s Day, I think it is very regrettable that some people do go overboard. I don’t think, however, that it’s true to say that St Patrick has disappeared from the festivities. In my experience, huge numbers of people (at least in Ireland) still observe the religious aspect by attending Mass in the morning, after which most will attend the parade in their city or town.

I think one must remember also that for the Irish the day is not just a celebration of St Patrick - it is our national holiday, and given our turbulent history, the Irish feel that there’s much to celebrate and commemorate. Ireland is still a very young country - it only left the British Commonwealth in 1949. There is so much gloomy history - plundering by the Normans, the English invasion and occupation, the Famine, the terribly bloody periods of the twentieth century… Yet Ireland has overcome so many of these struggles and it has so many positive things to celebrate. So while I think it is very regrettable that some people go way overboard on March 17th, I believe that a major celebration on our national holiday (whether or not religion comes into it for an individual) is justified.
 
I agree 100% That’s EXACTLY what it has become for some, like a Catholic woman I know, who plans on geeting “smashed and maybe even flashing men” at the celebration, though she may have been joking about the latter part. Still, I can’t picture the Saints in Heaven, nonetheless God being pleased.

For your last comment, I love beer, one of my favorite drinks next to coffee, so I agree, nothing wrong in celebrating like that. But the whole mindset of some (the exessive drinking, drugs and sex) it utterly ridiculous.

God bless.
Yea, This is mainly the reason why Protestants stay away from Alcohol all together.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Drugs

This document reflects commonly held beliefs based on scripture which have been endorsed by the church’s Commission on Doctrinal Purity and the Executive Presbytery.
Why have holiness and Pentecostal churches advocated abstinence concerning the use of alcohol, tobacco, and narcotics (drugs)? Why not allow moderation?

First Corinthians 6:19,20 has historically been held in high regard by holiness and Pentecostal Christians. “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.” This and other passages warning against drunkenness have been considered sufficient reason for advocating complete abstinence from the use of alcohol, tobacco, or narcotics. Not only is the human body the temple of the Holy Spirit, which is not to be defiled; but there are other reasons for complete abstinence: (1) contemporary society is plagued with the destructive consequences of these three addictive substances and (2)even moderate use of the substances, especially alcohol and drugs, leads too often to destructive addictive habits.

Alcohol. The Scriptures speak often of the destructive power of alcohol. Noah’s drunkenness brought shame to his family (Gen. 9:20-27). Lot’s drunkenness resulted in an incestuous relationship with his two daughters (Gen. 19:30-38). An inebriated Xerxes sought to humiliate Queen Vashti publicly (Est. 1:9-22). The consumption of alcohol impairs judgment, inflames passions, and invites violence (Lev. 10:8-11; Prov. 20:1, 23:29-35, 31:4,5).

Alcoholism and the depression associated with it often leads to a breakdown of moral inhibitions, indiscreet or violent behavior, or loss of consciousness (drunkenness). Long-term drinking can terminally damage liver, pancreas, brain, or heart. Binge drinking on university campuses has caused instant death. It is estimated there are 14 million problem drinkers in the United States. Half of the fatal automobile accidents are caused by alcohol-impaired drivers. The annual cost of alcohol-related accidents, illness, violent crime, and loss of work time is estimated to exceed 100 billion dollars.

Illegal Drugs. Though drug use is not specifically mentioned in the Bible, its impact on the drug user and on society far exceeds the evil results of alcohol abuse. The addictive nature of certain drugs is so powerful that a single episode can hook an individual for life. Furthermore, the irreversible physical damage to one’s organs and mental capacities makes drugs extremely dangerous. The greatest danger is the all-consuming control of one’s life, constantly interrupting one’s focus on work and destroying personal relationships and spiritual well-being. Beyond the personal toll of drug addiction is the disastrous burden placed on families and society.

Alcohol and illegal drug use are well documented factors in domestic violence, road and work rage, child abuse, suicide, and a variety of other socially destructive behaviors. Alcoholism and drug addiction present a national crisis threatening to destroy the fabric of our society.
 
Tobacco. While smoking and chewing tobacco does not impair one’s judgment nor carry many of the relational side effects of alcohol and illegal drugs, tobacco has now proved to be a primary health concern. Yet young people year after year are becoming hooked on the habit through effective ad campaigns that deceptively associate smoking with maturity and popularity.

For many years the surgeon general of the United States has warned society of the dangers of smoking, even to the point of forcing tobacco companies to place the warning on their products. But not until the casualties of mouth and lung cancer and addiction to tobacco began to increase did people take the warning seriously. When it became evident that non-smokers were becoming victims of diseases caused by inhaling second-hand tobacco smoke, then society began mounting major opposition to the use of tobacco. While medical studies in recent years have shown conclusively that smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer, the church has opposed the use of tobacco because it is a habit that is harmful to a Christian’s testimony as well as to a Christian’s body, which is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

With these realities about alcohol, tobacco, and drug use, the argument for abstinence is well established. The Christian is called to a higher standard of self-control and self-denial concerning those things not beneficial to his physical and spiritual well being. To argue for any level of “moderate use” of alcohol, narcotics, or tobacco is to be insensitive to the weight of Scripture and the present perils of our society. Christians realize the pressing need for a pure testimony before our world. As the apostle Paul said, “I urge you . . . in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will” (Romans 12:1,2).

CONCERNS:

The use of alcohol, narcotics, and tobacco mentioned above exact a heavy toll, not only on the addicted person, but also on all of society. Drug abuse can make an addict incapable of being a productive individual in the larger society, thus increasing the financial burden on the rest of society. Medical treatment for injuries and illnesses caused by the addictions further consumes resources that could be put to much better use. And as drug abuse often leads to criminal activity, society pays a double cost in added insurance and law enforcement costs. We call upon all of society to fight these addictive substances used by Satan to keep individuals in bondage to his power over their lives.

The above statement is based upon our common understanding of scriptural teaching.

All Scripture quotations are from the New International Version (NIV) unless otherwise specified.
 
I think the revelry is a distinctly non-Irish way of celebrating. Until recent times, Ireland treated it as a Holy Day or Feast, but never had parades, revelry, etc. on the level we do here. I think in this country it had to have started with homesick Irish immigrants hungry for a little bit of home and also happy that there was a day they didn’t have to feel like a 3rd class citizen.

Now it seems like Mardi Gras - an excuse to party and no further depth required.

I tried to explain this, and now I’d like someone to explain the fascination and reverence for all things Irish. I’m 1/4 and am sick to death of all the preciousness of it all. I barely knew I was German, French, and Swiss until I was older. Honestly, who cares?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top