Dumbing Down America

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

A school district in Rhode Island canceled its annual spelling bee this year because administrators decided the crowning of only one winner violates the main principle of the federal No Child Left Behind Act – that all children should succeed.

Competitor in Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee finals in Washington last June. (Photo: National Spelling Bee)

Linda Newman, assistant superintendent of schools in Lincoln, R.I., said it’s her understanding that President Bush’s education initiative says all children must reach high standards, which conflicts with the spelling bee, the Woonsocket Call of Rhode Island reported.

“It’s about one kid winning, several making it to the top and leaving all others behind,” Newman said of the competition, which culminates with the Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C. “That’s contrary to No Child Left Behind.”

A spelling bee, she continued, is about “some kids being winners, some kids being losers,” which “sends a message that this isn’t an all-kids movement…”

worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42599

40.png
HagiaSophia:
A school district in Rhode Island canceled its annual spelling bee this year because administrators decided the crowning of only one winner violates the main principle of the federal No Child Left Behind Act – that all children should succeed.

Competitor in Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee finals in Washington last June. (Photo: National Spelling Bee)

Linda Newman, assistant superintendent of schools in Lincoln, R.I., said it’s her understanding that President Bush’s education initiative says all children must reach high standards, which conflicts with the spelling bee, the Woonsocket Call of Rhode Island reported.

“It’s about one kid winning, several making it to the top and leaving all others behind,” Newman said of the competition, which culminates with the Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C. “That’s contrary to No Child Left Behind.”

A spelling bee, she continued, is about “some kids being winners, some kids being losers,” which “sends a message that this isn’t an all-kids movement…”

worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42599
This is EXACTLY what I experienced in the school we just left. I helped run the last and final Spelling Bee. Because not everyone was a winner, the kids who try, the kids who deserve an outlet to achieve and excel, are denied the opportunity to do so. We are raising a generation of children who will not be able to compete outside of academia in the real world…where stuff happens and no one really cares how you “feel”. Rather, your accomplishments and contributions are what is important. We are raising a generation of utter mediocrity.

It is because of nut cases like this that we needed the no child left behind in the first place. If she would spend more time actually teaching and less time worrying about making all kids feel good the kids would be better off in the long run. Ehen they go to find a job the boss is not going to care how they feel about themselves, he will want to know if they can do the job or not.

40.png
Lance:
It is because of nut cases like this that we needed the no child left behind in the first place. If she would spend more time actually teaching and less time worrying about making all kids feel good the kids would be better off in the long run. Ehen they go to find a job the boss is not going to care how they feel about themselves, he will want to know if they can do the job or not.
I believe it is even worse, they will find themselves unable to live, work or play in the real world of adults where everyone doesn’t walk off “equal” after all their endeavors. This causes frustration, anger and a perpetual immaturity - much of which we see reflected in our papers and tv everyday. It’s always about “me” - angered, at a loss to understand how things really work - they can’t get through life.

40.png
HagiaSophia:

** Some folks are masters at misinterpretation.**
Just look what they did to Vatican2 😦

tom.wineman said:

Look at what they’ve done with SCOTUS

tom.wineman said:

I believe it had to be a misinterpretation of the No Child Left Behind that led to this. 👍

40.png
Fitz:
I believe it had to be a misinterpretation of the No Child Left Behind that led to this. 👍
Is that part of the Rapture? I didn’t think we Catholic believe in the Left Behind stuff. :whistle:

They still teach spelling? Judging by external evidence I assumed it had been discontinued.

Perhaps the school board members are still bitter from not winning themselves… I serve on a school board, this is R-I-D-D-I-K-U-L-U-S-S.

More propaganda, grandstanding and manipulation. I hate how the teachers brainwash the students on education spending. Our teenager is spouting the teachers’ line. They did it to my generation too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back