Dungeons & Dragons roleplay. Yes or no?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fox
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my new age phase as well (scary stuff) and i kept going back to the crazy Fundamentalists like a boomerang. I thank God daily for my sponsor!
 
Although I don’t personally play… my dh and my children do. I was quite curious about it from a moral standpoint when they started playing. Actually I have found it a good way to reinforce morals, consequences and teach about good vs evil. I watch my kids play sometimes and we discuss the game… mostly just fun and games but every now and then a good teaching moment shows up.
 
My NAM stupidity hit it’s high point when I played with a ouija, then did automatic writing. That’s all been gone since June 2003… hard to believe… yeah 5 years ago already! Did have a wiccan friend back then ask me just to ‘try’ and give her a reading… told her sorry, all gone thank God! I pray for those I knew in those dabbling days of mine, especially anyone I gave ‘readings’ to. Yeah, was pretty botched myself. Returned to Catholicism last year and still feel out of place. Need to bring my Mass walkthrough with me and hope they go back to the Missalettes since I can’t see what everyone is doing so well yet. Eyes still need work so my surroundings can look foggy at times. :eek: Cataract in my good eye & the other needs more surgery someday.
 
Although I don’t personally play… my dh and my children do. I was quite curious about it from a moral standpoint when they started playing. Actually I have found it a good way to reinforce morals, consequences and teach about good vs evil. I watch my kids play sometimes and we discuss the game… mostly just fun and games but every now and then a good teaching moment shows up.
Wow. I’d never really thought about it like that before.:hmmm:
 
My husband played D&D excessively in college and still plays when he can find a group and has the time. it has never led him to occult activities. Rather, he believes it has taught him strategy and tactical thinking that has helped him as a military officer. He’s also my first-line research as a writer of fantasy and sci-fi. He’s great for helping me come up with a way into or out of a nasty situation for my characters or to give me the perfect monster, bad guy, cliche, etc.

As far as “role-playing a character who can do anything they want (kill, steal, lie),” it depends on how good your dungeon master is. I’d say that video games do far more of that than a well-run D&D campaign. In D&D you have to know how to apply the talents your character has. In a really good game, you get the chance to do things that have nothing to do with fighting or collecting treasure. (Rob’s favorite D&D memory is when he stopped a barfight by casting a “Listen to me!” spell. He then berated the patrons for half an hour on the evils of violence, strong drink, improper hygene, etc.)

I have three boys who are interested in it as well. We recently started a family campaign. It has been hilarious fun–and we’re teaching the kids there are consequences to the video-game mentality of kill and loot.

Because we are military and move every 3 years, online gaming is the way my husband keeps in contact with his friends. They get together for an hour to run a mission–rescue a maiden from some orcs, get a treasure for some poor town, etc. Is this any different from going to watch a football game with the guys? (Other than they have more side conversation on-line and actually have to engage their brains.)

By the same token, he’s been known to spend an hour on-line clicking a key every couple of minutes while his dwarf character bakes blueberry muffins. Is that a sin? Between the two, I’d rather he go fight a balrog with his buddies–at least he’s interacting with other humans.
 
I have noticed that this thread has pretty much died out ever since the mods told the “Gaming is Satanic” posters that they had to back up thier claims with some kind if evidence. Go figure. :rolleyes:
 
Basically it depends on who you play with and why. If you are with an immoral person who glorifies death, lust and things of that sort, than it might affect you. If you play with people who are good and up right and see a problem with wanton massacre, than that will possibly affect you too.

It’s all in how you use it.
 
I agree, JM. It’s also a matter of how well you separate fiction and reality. I know some very moral people who are terrified of D&D–usually because they dabbled in magic or paganism in their youth. The lines between pretend and real are blurred from the experience.
 
In 1971, I was in the Navy and we played military strategy games at night in the barracks.

See: militaryspot.com/military-strategy-games.htm

In 1974 or so I discovered role playing games. I bought the very first edition of Dungeons and Dragons (and threw it out in the 1980s). I still have all of my SSI military strategy games from the 70s. It was far too difficult to find someone who would take the time to learn the rules. The military guys don’t play board games any more. They use 25 - 54 mm painted units. But that’s a whole “nother” thing.

I DM’d a campaign game for close to 10 years in the 80s. We played once a month for close to 12 hours. My oldest son (now 27) sat on my lap and watched. All of us were Society for Creative Anchronism then. Odd consequences happened to those who attempted to venture across the line into evil.

Take a look at my screen name - Brother Hrolf. If you think that I as DM was going to roll over and play dead with a chaotic evil character, guess again. Brother Hrolf was my SCA name.

D & D can be a powerful educational tool. Maybe my experience was different in that I was playing with a bunch of overt medievalists who knew their history. The only reason why our campaign game ended after 10 years was because one of our members died of an aortal aneurysm at age 30. That completely took the wind out of our sails.

Oldest son is playing D & D and Cthulhu with his friends in grad school. As JMMK said it depends upon who you play with and why.
 
I have been away from this forum for a while. Also I am a little behind on this thread response ( 1 month and 2 days I think. )
I play dungeons and dragons on the computer ( single player ) I only play about 1-2 hours every 2 weeks. I don’t use my imagination because there is no opportunity in the PC game for it. I don’t consider it a mortal sin. It may be dangerous for others. I have other things that are much more important, and some issues that are real sin, which make D&D look like a raindrop to the ocean. If you can handle it, and it does not lead to fantasy becoming reality, or meglecting the real world, then for most people it is not a problem or a mortal sin. If anyone dismisses it in general as such, those people would have to call the entire cast and production crew of almost any movie or stage production ever made "mortal sinners, going to hell " Judging( condeming ) a person is far more sinful than a little imaginative play.
 
I’m a Catholic looking for a D&D play group near the Twin Cities MN. Anybody out there?
 
I’m a Catholic looking for a D&D play group near the Twin Cities MN. Anybody out there?
You must play as a necromancer I assume haha :D. While I don’t play, I’m pretty sure some of the people around here play D&D and I have a couple of Catholic friends that play it, so Catholic D&D players exist, but you might consider starting a new thread to catch more people’s attention. But if you are Catholic, you have to be a lawful good paladin 😛
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top