I haven’t played D and D in many years.
But–seven years ago, I started writing novels and screenplays.
It seems to me that there is a lot of similiarity between D and D and writing fiction.
I make up characters, settings, and plots. Isn’t that what D and D players do? It’s what we did when we played.
My characters are not all good. A good piece of fiction in any genre has a truly bad villain, and my novels and screenplays have some NASTY villains who sin with impunity. (I don’t use graphic language in any of my writing.) Isn’t this what D and D players do–create and battle villains?
My good characters fall into sin. Doesn’t this happen to the best of D and D characters with a bum roll of the dice?
Not all of my characters are Christians. Certainly true of D and D.
So far, I haven’t done any fantasy fiction, so I’m not into creating creatures and magic spells and wondrous worlds. No witches, vampires, or other monsters or spirits. But I have “ghosts” in my stories (big spoiler–they turn out not to be ghosts–maybe).
So what makes D and D “bad” for some Christians, but fiction writing “not bad?”
OR…when I was Protestant, I knew Christians who believed that ALL pretend was evil. They wouldn’t even let their children pretend to talk to animals, be a fairy, or play house because they believed only in reality, not fantasy. Is that how some of you feel, that ALL fiction is of the Evil One? But how do you reconcile that with the fact that Jesus made up parables?