Early Christians Believed in Reincarnation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ATeutonicKnight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ATeutonicKnight

Guest
I was watching a documentary, and it said that up until a Council in the 6th century, reincarnation was a “tenet of the Christian faith”. I assume he was mistaking a few heretics who the Church denounced, but seeing as how he gave no citations, I have no clue. Anyone know what he was talking about?
 
Very insightful. As an aside, I noticed your location is Pittsburgh. I only live about an hour away from there!
 
Reincarnation is the ‘religious or philosophical concept that the soul or spirit, after biological death, begins a new life in a new body.’

In other words: ‘Reincarnation’ into perfect beings in heaven.

So, yes.

For me as a sinner - this truly would be a reincarnation!

Ave Maria!

🙂
 
All of the Church Fathers that I have read (and I’m into the early 4th century) who have had anything to say about reincarnation have denounced it. Period.
 
I was watching a documentary, and it said that up until a Council in the 6th century, reincarnation was a “tenet of the Christian faith”. I assume he was mistaking a few heretics who the Church denounced, but seeing as how he gave no citations, I have no clue. Anyone know what he was talking about?
I deleted my answer because I see (name removed by moderator) gave a more complete and much better one.
 
I was watching a documentary, and it said that up until a Council in the 6th century, reincarnation was a “tenet of the Christian faith”. I assume he was mistaking a few heretics who the Church denounced, but seeing as how he gave no citations, I have no clue. Anyone know what he was talking about?
Nonsense.

You where watching a work of fiction.

The* Resurrection *was and is key - that of Jesus and that of us!
 
I was watching a documentary, and it said that up until a Council in the 6th century, reincarnation was a “tenet of the Christian faith”. I assume he was mistaking a few heretics who the Church denounced, but seeing as how he gave no citations, I have no clue. Anyone know what he was talking about?
Sounds like revisionist B.S. to me.
 
snip

Basilides, an early Christian writer and teacher, taught this belief in the early 100’s. He is said to have links with the disciple, Matthew.

Many books of these groups have been lost or destroyed, apparently.

.
Basilides was a Gnostic, not a Christian. His works were thoroughly quoted and refuted in works by Eusebius, St. Hippolytus of Rome, and St. Clement of Alexandria, among others. If you want to read Basilides, read those works.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilides
 
I was watching a documentary, and it said that up until a Council in the 6th century, reincarnation was a “tenet of the Christian faith”. I assume he was mistaking a few heretics who the Church denounced, but seeing as how he gave no citations, I have no clue. Anyone know what he was talking about?
This chap has a summary of these claims, and particularly their connections to some of Origen’s comments:
john-uebersax.com/plato/origen1.htm
 
Basilides was a Gnostic, not a Christian. His works were thoroughly quoted and refuted in works by Eusebius, St. Hippolytus of Rome, and St. Clement of Alexandria, among others. If you want to read Basilides, read those works.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilides
Exactly. 👍

Early Christians believe what real Christians believe today. And reincarnation is and always was another facet of a different belief system that is now ‘new age’ but began in religions very much earlier than Christianity. Never-the-less, this idea never was a part of Christianity - this was and would be considered heresy to believe such a thing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top