I have been reading some of thease posts. I think there is alot of misunderstang about the whole reformation movement and the condition of the church at that time.
I also think that if salvation or being born again like many have found could be experianced by many on this forum they would see and understand things quite differantly. I am not saying this to attack or put down anyone. When a person really gets saved they are changed from the inside. They are no longer the same.
When talking to someone who has not experianced the new birth it is impossible for them to really grasp what you are trying to tell them because one has to recieve this gift of God by faith before the miracle of being born again takes place. This is especially hard for those that are dedicated members of a church. Instantly they will put up a wall against it. They cant grasp this and it threatens them.
As far as traditions of the church and sola scripture. I would look at Jesus and follow His example. The church of His day was full with traditions. Some good and some bad. I would look at how He made it a point to keep the scriptures Jesus never did anything that was contrary to scripture but always obeyed it. I see Him comming against alot of traditions and the pharisees didnt like it at all.
I would take the new testament that we have and just read it and ask am I doing this. I would be willing to weigh the differant traditions that I have and have been taught. The things that are spoken by the priest or some preacher I would weigh by scripture to see if thease things were so.
I believe that the advice in the book of Acts 17:11 is what we should follow. They were using the scriptures to check out the things that Paul and Silus were teaching to see if what they said was true. They put the authority of scriptures over apostles and prophets and were accounted more noble because they not only recieved the word with readiness of mind. They searched the scriptures daily to see whether the things Paul and Silus taught were so.
Shouldnt we do this today?
I hope this isn’t departing too much from the topic…
As far as experiencing the new birth, as perhaps a kind of mystical experience, of course that cannot be argued with. You feel the Holy Spirit directly and that is that. End of story. It is not something subject to logical debate, because it is subjective.
In regards to traditions that nullify the Word of God, of course we all have those. One of those traditions we all share is the very format, the geometry, the configuration, by which we use scripture today.
Because the way the Word of God was originally given was in the scroll format. Scripture was contained in a number of different scrolls, and to read scripture you had to unroll the scroll and read sequentially through it. “Sequential access” to borrow a computer term. To find a particular part of scripture you had to already know scripture, in order to know which scroll and where in that scroll to look, and in which context to find it.
Scripture was furthermore not divided into chapters and verses, as we have today. The God-given scripture was seamless, not fragmented according to our man-made tradition.
The codex format with its pages, along with chapters and verses, allows random access to scripture. (To borrow another computer term.)
Random access makes it far too easy to combine and compare parts of scripture that perhaps were never meant to be compared and conflated together. Random access permits scripture to be taken out of context. But with the God-given format, the only way to compare one part of scripture with another, was to do it in your head, preventing scripture from being torn out of context.
Perhaps it is, that the ease of use of our man-made format allows scripture to be used in ways that were never intended by God, and were impossible with the way He originally delivered scripture to us. Hence, this could be an example of traditions of men nullifying the Word of God.
The Boreans looked into the Hebrew scriptures to see if what Paul and Silus were saying about Jesus being the Messiah were true, if they agreed with Paul’s reasoning. Note that the news about Jesus was delivered by the apostles, via oral tradition. This then is actually an argument in favor of the value of oral tradition, for without it the Boreans would not have known about Jesus at all.
To return directly to the topic, involving the early church fathers, they of course properly placed great value on scripture, but because the extent and limits of Christian scripture were not determined in their day, it would have been impossible for them to believe in sola scriptura.