Early Church Fathers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CastingCrown
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CastingCrown

Guest
I’ve been working through the writings of the Early Church Fathers and had some questions on some of their texts. Where would be a good place on this site to post questions? 🤷
 
I’ve been working through the writings of the Early Church Fathers and had some questions on some of their texts. Where would be a good place on this site to post questions? 🤷
If its their commentary on Sacred Scripture, you’ll want to post them here.

If its on Church Doctrine, maybe the Apologetics section.
 
I’ve been working through the writings of the Early Church Fathers and had some questions on some of their texts. Where would be a good place on this site to post questions? 🤷
What question in particular are you running into? I love reading Church Fathers, particularly St. Irenaeus, St. Clement, and St. Jerome, among others.
 
It’s not really about either apologetics or Scripture.

For example, Ignatius of Antioch regularly mentions “silence” in his letters and I wondered what that’s all about:
“Now the more any one sees the bishop keeping silence, the more ought he to revere him” - Letter to the Ephesians
*

Something to do with the bishop being wise and carefully guarding his tongue? (cf. Proverbs, Epistle of James) 🤷
“Christianity is not a thing of silence only, but also of [manifest] greatness.”
  • Letter ot the Romans
God has spoken His Word into the world? 🤷
“On this account also [the prophets] were persecuted, being inspired by His grace to fully convince the unbelieving that there is one God, who has manifested Himself by Jesus Christ His Son, who is His eternal Word, not proceeding forth from silence, and who in all things pleased Him that sent Him.”

“Be not deceived with strange doctrines, nor with old fables, which are unprofitable. For if we still live according to the Jewish law, we acknowledge that we have not received grace. For the divinest prophets lived according to Christ Jesus. On this account also they were persecuted, being inspired by His grace to fully convince the unbelieving that there is one God, who has manifested Himself by Jesus Christ His Son, who is His eternal Word, not proceeding forth from silence, and who in all things pleased Him that sent Him.”
  • Letter to Magnesians
The prophets prepared for Jesus’ coming? 🤷

This is just a “for instance”. I’m basically looking for somewhere to discuss the contents of their writings.
 
It’s not really about either apologetics or Scripture.

For example, Ignatius of Antioch regularly mentions “silence” in his letters and I wondered what that’s all about:
“Now the more any one sees the bishop keeping silence*, the more ought he to revere him” - Letter to the Ephesians

Something to do with the bishop being wise and carefully guarding his tongue? (cf. Proverbs, Epistle of James) 🤷
“Christianity is not a thing of silence* only, but also of [manifest] greatness.”
  • Letter ot the Romans
God has spoken His Word into the world? 🤷
“On this account also [the prophets] were persecuted, being inspired by His grace to fully convince the unbelieving that there is one God, who has manifested Himself by Jesus Christ His Son, who is His eternal Word, not proceeding forth from silence*, and who in all things pleased Him that sent Him.”

“Be not deceived with strange doctrines, nor with old fables, which are unprofitable. For if we still live according to the Jewish law, we acknowledge that we have not received grace. For the divinest prophets lived according to Christ Jesus. On this account also they were persecuted, being inspired by His grace to fully convince the unbelieving that there is one God, who has manifested Himself by Jesus Christ His Son, who is His eternal Word, not proceeding forth from silence, and who in all things pleased Him that sent Him.”
  • Letter to Magnesians
The prophets prepared for Jesus’ coming? 🤷

This is just a “for instance”. I’m basically looking for somewhere to discuss the contents of their writings.
Since you made the topic of this thread so broad, I think we can discuss it here, all of what you’re saying is certainly within the topic. I will read the material you quoted because it’s been a while since I read Ignatius of Antioch, but if memory serves me correctly, the context of his writing is regarding leading by example not just verbally. Jesus lead by example and His Bishops are, therefore, charged with the same. Sometimes those silent words are worth so much more. I will get back to you after re-reading St. Ignatius.
 
It’s not really about either apologetics or Scripture.

For example, Ignatius of Antioch regularly mentions “silence” in his letters and I wondered what that’s all about:
“Now the more any one sees the bishop keeping silence*, the more ought he to revere him” - Letter to the Ephesians
In the following paragraph he writes:

For some are in the habit of carrying about the name[of Jesus Christ] in wicked guile, while yet they practise things unworthy of God, whom ye must flee as ye would wild beasts. For they are ravening dogs, who bite secretly, against whom ye must be on your guard, inasmuch as they are men who can scarcely be cured.
St. Ignatius of Antioch, Epistle to the Ephesians, Chapter VII

These false teachers are loud but do not practice what they preach. The Bishop, on the other hand, as I said earlier should lead by example, and his words should be very loud due to his actions and not necessarily his speech.
 
The more I think about this, the more I think this forum needs another section for Tradition: Early Church Fathers and Church Documents/Papal Encyclicals.

Somebody please make this happen 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top