Earth Crust Plate is Broken

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

Scientists at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory report direct evidence that one of the Earth’s great crustal plates is cracking in two.

In a report published in the most recent issue of Earth and Planetary Science Letters (vol. 133), the scientists say they have confirmed that the Indo-Australian Plate–long identified as a single plate on which both India and Australia lie–appears to have broken apart just south of the Equator beneath the Indian Ocean. The break has been underway for the past several million years, and now the two continents are moving independently of one another in slightly different directions.

Scientists have known that for some 50 million years, the Indian subcontinent has been pushing northward into Eurasia, forcefully raising the Tibetan Plateau and the Himalayan Mountains. The new research suggests that starting about 8 million years ago, the accumulated mass became so great that the Indo-Australian Plate buckled and broke under the stress.

“The result of this critical stage in the collision between India and Asia is the breakup of the Indo-Australia Plate into separate Indian and Australian plates,” Jeffrey Weissel, a scientist at Lamont-Doherty, Columbia’s earth sciences research institute in Palisades, N.Y., said in an interview.

raidersnewsupdate.com/lead-story25.htm

that’s incredibly interesting. I wonder if this means there are more earthquakes/volcanoes coming for the area or if it’s not really anything new in the great scheme of things.

40.png
sweetchuck:
that’s incredibly interesting. I wonder if this means there are more earthquakes/volcanoes coming for the area or if it’s not really anything new in the great scheme of things.
Who knows, maybe in 8 million years, you’ll be able to commute from hawaii to australia by boat!!! Isn’t that exciting?

40.png
sweetchuck:
When I think of the damage caused by just a gentle rub or shifting I suspect that we have more in store for us …after all the map of the world as we know it wasn’t always the same.

40.png
pnewton:
Probably caused by global warming. Either that or el Nino.
Well since someone told me earlier today in a thread that the reason the pope says its all right for us to believe in evolution is because he is “ecumenical” perhaps that has something to do with it.😃

I always wondered what they meant by that expression, “the earth moved.” now I know

only one problem…the earth hasn’t been around for 50 million years…try 50 or 60 thousand…

40.png
Meggie:
only one problem…the earth hasn’t been around for 50 million years…try 50 or 60 thousand…
Careful Meggie, you are in danger of hijacking this into a new earth vs old earth debate.

40.png
Meggie:
Well, in this particular instance, your signature is absolutely correct!😃

Peace

Tim

40.png
puzzleannie:
I always wondered what they meant by that expression, “the earth moved.” now I know
HSophia picking self up from the floor and :rotfl: :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back