Easter Vigil

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cindy_Zelinski
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cindy_Zelinski

Guest
Is the Saturday Easter Vigil an obligation for Easter Sunday?
 
Its not an obligation by itself. It fulfills the Easter obligation. But you can choose not to go to Easter Vigil but instead go to any Mass on Easter Sunday itself.
 
No, it is not. You may attend the Easter Vigil or any Mass on Easter Sunday to meet your obligation.

Of course if you are able to attend both that is great! But it is not expected of you.
 
Beyond either satisfying the requirement, if you haven’t experienced the Vigil, go. You will experience the richness of what it means to be Catholic. There are almost too many beautiful moments to list, but you’ll hear the ancient proclamation of Resurrection, the recounting of salvation history, renounce sin and be blessed with new water, witness (hopefully) baptisms and confirmations, and so on.

It won’t be short but it won’t leave you wanting.
 
Thank you for your answer. May I please have an answer showing where you get your answer, from the Vatican?
 
May I please have an answer showing where you get your answer, from the Vatican?
Here you go:
vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_P4N.HTM#6
Can. 1246 §1. Sunday, on which by apostolic tradition the paschal mystery is celebrated, must be observed in the universal Church as the primordial holy day of obligation. The following days must also be observed: the Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Epiphany, the Ascension, the Body and Blood of Christ, Holy Mary the Mother of God, her Immaculate Conception, her Assumption, Saint Joseph, Saint Peter and Saint Paul the Apostles, and All Saints.
Can. 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.
 
Thank you for your answer. May I please have an answer showing where you get your answer, from the Vatican?
Digitonomy is right. The problem is that your original question (“Is the Saturday Easter Vigil an obligation for Easter Sunday?”) is vague. If you’re asking whether attending the Easter Vigil is an obligation, the answer is no. Going on Easter Sunday alone is fine. If you’re asking whether attending the Easter Vigil satisfies the obligation to attend Mass on Easter, the answer is yes, because any Mass “on the feast day itself [in this case, Easter] or in the evening of the preceding day * satisfies the obligation.”*
 
Thank you, I have gone to the Vigil. But, our priest said, ‘since there are SO many people there, at the Vigil, that I would like more people to go to Sunday Easter.’ I have gone to the Vigil and it is a beautiful service. But, I want to know, if it is the Vatican, saying that the Vigil dose not count as the obligation for the Suday Easter. Thank you.
 
Thank you, I have gone to the Vigil. But, our priest said, ‘since there are SO many people there, at the Vigil, that I would like more people to go to Sunday Easter.’ I have gone to the Vigil and it is a beautiful service. But, I want to know, if it is the Vatican, saying that the Vigil dose not count as the obligation for the Suday Easter. Thank you.
To meet the obligation for any given Sunday or feast day, you can go to Mass (1) on the Sunday or feast day itself, or (2) on the evening before. (Obviously, you can go both on the feast day and the evening before if you want.) So for Easter Sunday, you may go either to the Vigil or to the Sunday Mass (or to both). That’s what the canons that Digitonomy posted are trying to tell us.

So the Vatican is saying that going to the Easter Vigil does satisfy the Easter obligation, although, naturally, you can skip the Vigil and go on Easter Sunday if that is your preference.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top