ECF's did they follow current doctrine?

  • Thread starter Thread starter myfavoritmartin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s look a little bit more at Augustine’s Exposition on Psalm 99, chapter 8, quoted by you in post #76. Here is some context:

The emphasis is the error that Augustine is refuting here,.
How so? my friend.
and is contrary to Catholic doctrine on transubstantiation. It is interesting that some Protestant theologians bring up the exact same argument against the Catholic teaching today.
really which ones?
 
I wasn’t Catholic last time I checked either. Let me check.

Hang on.

Checking…Checking…Checking…

Nope.

Presbyterian.
I wondered bout the situation, I became confrontational with you sorry, I didn’t see a separation between you and the others… my apologies, I appreciate your interest in the ECF’s keep involved, it’s a great learn!
 
I wondered bout the situation, I became confrontational with you sorry, I didn’t see a separation between you and the others… my apologies, I appreciate your interest in the ECF’s keep involved, it’s a great learn!
Interesting statement. So are you reading the writings of the ECF’s to somehow try to refute Catholicism. The good ole copy/paste pick and choose method to fit what I want them to say. Or are your reading/studing with a open mind and heart in order for better understanding and seeking truth. So it is us Catholic’s against you and ???. Either this or that? Can’t be a both/and then. Oh well. Good luck.

God Bless,
Stephen
 
Oh, one more thing…
I have a lot of respect for Truthstalker. He is out there seeking the truth wherever it my lead him. It my not lead him to the Catholic Church, but at least I know he is a honest and honorable Christian.
 
Interesting statement. So are you reading the writings of the ECF’s to somehow try to refute Catholicism.
No, I am not!
The good ole copy/paste pick and choose method to fit what I want them to say. Or are your reading/studing with a open mind and heart in order for better understanding and seeking truth.
Stephen
I pray for you you my friend that you read and study with an open mind, acts 17:11
 
Oh, one more thing…
I have a lot of respect for Truthstalker. He is out there seeking the truth wherever it my lead him. It my not lead him to the Catholic Church, but at least I know he is a honest and honorable Christian.
Knowing he’s seeking the truth then my prayer is this; when the veil is removed him and I will be walking hand and hand in the Lords footsteps, we 2 are saved by our faith in him.
 
No, I am not!

I pray for you you my friend that you read and study with an open mind, acts 17:11
Oh I did and still do. It was being open to Holy Spirit (and a lot of studing) that has led me back (kicking and screaming at times) to his Church. I will pray for you also.

God’s Peace,
Stephen
 
Oh I did and still do. It was being open to Holy Spirit (and a lot of studing) that has led me back (kicking and screaming at times) to his Church. I will pray for you also.

God’s Peace,
Stephen
Promise me you’ll read these;
titus3:5
eph 2:8:9
galatian2:21
I LOVE YOU MY BROTHER!
Simon

Write em’ down …pleeez
 
My prayer is and has always been that someday all Christians will once again walk together as one in God’s Grace. I am just too old and tired for this you against us. Take no prisoners. No seeking common ground/understanding. Truth be damned. My way or the highway thing.
 
My prayer is and has always been that someday all Christians will once again walk together as one in God’s Grace. I am just too old and tired for this you against us. Take no prisoners. No seeking common ground/understanding. Truth be damned. My way or the highway thing.
Stephen my friend 1 question…
are you saved? if you die where ya going???
 
I tell the truth in Christ. I am not lying, my conscience testifying with me in the Holy Spirit,

2 that I have great sorrow and unceasing pain in my heart.

3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brothers’ sake, my relatives according to the flesh,

4 who are Israelites; whose is the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the service, and the promises;

5 of whom are the fathers, and from whom is Christ as concerning the flesh, who is over all, God, blessed forever. Amen.

6 But it is not as though the word of God has come to nothing. For they are not all Israel, that are of Israel.

7 Neither, because they are Abraham’s seed, are they all children. But, “In Isaac will your seed be called.”

8 That is, it is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as a seed.

9 For this is a word of promise, “At the appointed time I will come, and Sarah will have a son.”

10 Not only so, but Rebecca also conceived by one, by our father Isaac.

11 For being not yet born, neither having done anything good or bad, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him who calls,

12 it was said to her, “The elder will serve the younger.”

13 Even as it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? May it never be!

15 For he said to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who has mercy.

17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I caused you to be raised up, that I might show in you my power, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”

18 So then, he has mercy on whom he desires, and he hardens whom he desires.

19 You will say then to me, “Why does he still find fault? For who withstands his will?”

20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed ask him who formed it, “Why did you make me like this?”

21 Or hasn’t the potter a right over the clay, from the same lump to make one part a vessel for honor, and another for dishonor?

22 What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath made for destruction,

23 and that he might make known the riches of his glory on vessels of mercy, which he prepared beforehand for glory,

24 us, whom he also called, not from the Jews only, but also from the Gentiles?

25 As he says also in Hosea, “I will call them’my people,’ which were not my people; and her’beloved,’ who was not beloved.”

26 “It will be that in the place where it was said to them,‘You are not my people,’ There they will be called’children of the living God.’”

27 Isaiah cries concerning Israel, "If the number of the children of Israel are as the sand of the sea, it is the remnant who will be saved;

28 for He will finish the work and cut it short in righteousness, because the LORD will make a short work upon the earth."

29 As Isaiah has said before, “Unless the Lord of Armies had left us a seed, we would have become like Sodom, and would have been made like Gomorrah.”

30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, who didn’t follow after righteousness, attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith;

31 but Israel, following after a law of righteousness, didn’t arrive at the law of righteousness.

32 Why? Because they didn’t seek it by faith, but as it were by works of the law. They stumbled over the stumbling stone;

33 even as it is written, “Behold, I lay in Zion a stumbling stone and a rock of offense; and no one who believes in him will be disappointed.”
 
Promise me you’ll read these;
titus3:5
eph 2:8:9
galatian2:21
I LOVE YOU MY BROTHER!
Simon

Write em’ down …pleeez
titus 3:5? great defence for baptismal regeneration!

ephesians 2:8-9? i perfectly agree when it is read in context with verse 10

galations 2:21? Great we arn’t under the law anymore! Amen
 
martin, no one ever said that there was a universal consensus for all catholic beliefs in the early church but the fact is that it was all thee in some form. most of the early church fathers were not infallible menso they could be wrong on a few points but the fact is that all the beliefs were still there from the beginning even if they were not universally excepted. this is exactly why we have the pope as a central infallible authority so he can arbitrate between christians on matters of faith and morals.
 
How so? my friend.
I will quote it again:

Augustine said:
“Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of Man, ye have no life in you:” they received it foolishly, they thought of it carnally, and imagined that the Lord would cut off parts from His body, and give unto them; and they said, “This is a hard saying.” It was they who were hard, not the saying; for unless they had been hard, and not meek, they would have said unto themselves, He saith not this without reason, but there must be some latent mystery herein. They would have remained with Him, softened, not hard: and would have learnt that from Him which they who remained, when the others departed, learnt. For when twelve disciples had remained with Him, on their departure, these remaining followers suggested to Him, as if in grief for the death of the former, that they were offended by His words, and turned back. But He instructed them, and saith unto them, “It is the Spirit that quickeneth, but the flesh profiteth nothing; the words that I have spoken unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.” Understand spiritu ally [sic]
what I have said; ye are not to eat this body which ye see [that is, the carnal body of Jesus they saw before them]; nor to drink that blood which they who will crucify Me shall pour forth
. I have commended unto you a certain mystery; spiritually understood, it will quicken. Although it is needful that this be visibly celebrated, yet it must be spiritually understood.

The second part that I “bolded” (not sure if that’s the right word) is the part you quoted above. I inserted the sentence about the carnal body of Jesus, as that is what I understand Augustine to be talking about as explained in the earlier passage that I “bolded”. Were you asking how this is contrary to Catholic doctrine (your question wasn’t clear)? If so, then I will say that the Sacrament of the Eucharist involves Catholics receiving the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ. However, it is not exactly the same as the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ that walked around on Earth 2000 years ago, in that when we eat the body, we are not eating a leg or a hand, or the blood that poured forth when he was crucified. Is this what the Jews understood Jesus to be saying when he told them the “hard saying”? Or did they have a fully-fledged doctrine of transubstantiation in mind when he said “you must eat my flesh”?
really which ones?
Mostly random forum posters who probably aren’t worth repeating. This has just been my experience; I didn’t think that you would call me on it, as I didn’t think it was controversial. I suppose I should not have called them “apologists”.
 
My prayer is and has always been that someday all Christians will once again walk together as one in God’s Grace. I am just too old and tired for this you against us. Take no prisoners. No seeking common ground/understanding. Truth be damned. My way or the highway thing.
With all due respect and no intention to deliberately offend, I’d like to say that isn’t that the way of the RCC (is that term acceptable?)? Don’t they say “my way or the highway?” "Only we are the one true church, you need to come home to Rome, only we have the fulness of truth, etc.? Many of us know that it’s because of the truth of Scripture that we are in Christ’s universal church of all believers already if we’re saved and that doesn’t equal needing to belong to the RCC. I’m new so please forgive me if I’m overstepping the bounds. I’m not sure yet what I’m allowed to say and what I’m not.
 
With all due respect and no intention to deliberately offend, I’d like to say that isn’t that the way of the RCC (is that term acceptable?)? Don’t they say “my way or the highway?” "Only we are the one true church, you need to come home to Rome, only we have the fulness of truth, etc.? Many of us know that it’s because of the truth of Scripture that we are in Christ’s universal church of all believers already if we’re saved and that doesn’t equal needing to belong to the RCC. I’m new so please forgive me if I’m overstepping the bounds. I’m not sure yet what I’m allowed to say and what I’m not.
There is a difference…I was replying to the OP. I do not have a clue to what he believes. But there are lot’s out there who come here that just do not believe us Catholic’s are Christian. Or we might be inspite of being Catholic. And yes you do not need to Catholic to be “saved” the Catholic Church teaches that. We Catholic’s views non-Catholic Christians as our Separated Brethren in Christ. As I stated, some groups of Non-Catholic Christians veiw Catholic’s as Pagens and non-believers etc. etc. etc. With the OP’s last statement to me I’m I “saved” has me believing the later. No you are not out of bounds with your question. except maybe that we are straying away from the OP’s intent for this thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top