C
CutlerB
Guest
The German Bishop of Magdeburg, Gerhard Feige, who is the Bishops’ Conference’s Commission’s for Ecumenism president (what a sentence, I don’t know if I put the apostrophes correctly!) has made some comments on the 2017 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. In his pastoral letter for Lent, the Bishop writes:
Klar ist, dass die katholische Kirche nicht mehr erwartet, dass alle anderen zu ihr zurückzukehren hätten. Sie strebt aber eine sichtbare Einheit an und ist der Auffassung, dass die noch trennenden Unterschiede – vor allem im Kirchen- und Amtsverständnis – zuvor behoben sein müssten.
Apart from the fact that I find this to be completely contradictory in itself, I wonder whether it is legitimate to say that “the Catholic Church no longer expects all others to return to Her”?It is clear that the Catholic Church no longer expects all others to return to Her. But She does desire visible unity, and She holds that the still dividing differences – especially in the areas of Ecclesiology and the meaning of office [Holy Orders] – need to be resolved.