V
vincent10395
Guest
So many people misunderstand Ecumenism. Why is it? You thoughts?
God Bless!
God Bless!
Because many people view it as a compromise. Those who acknowledge that the Church cannot compromise doctrine can still see a compromise in “ecumenical” religious practice. The rise of folk (ie, hippie) Masses and Catholic charismaticism are regarded by many as protestant incursions into the Catholic faith - if not in doctrine, then in at least in practice. But we (ought to) practice what we preach, so Catholic communities who practice protestant ideas of worship could be (and *should *be) assumed to be preaching these ideas (at least implicitly, or they are not practicing what they preach)So many people misunderstand Ecumenism. Why is it? You thoughts?
I think this demonstrates one of the mindsets that tends to oppose ecumenism quiet well. That is, there is an idea (that I would argue is demonstrably false) that such practices/ideas that don’t have explicitly Catholic origins must be resisted completely or are wrong merely because of their origin. (I would argue that if Greek philosophy, originating from pagans, can be of such use, then it would be a mistake to discard all ideas that originate from more modern, less wrong, groups.)Because many people view it as a compromise. Those who acknowledge that the Church cannot compromise doctrine can still see a compromise in “ecumenical” religious practice. The rise of folk (ie, hippie) Masses and Catholic charismaticism are regarded by many as protestant incursions into the Catholic faith - if not in doctrine, then in at least in practice. But we (ought to) practice what we preach, so Catholic communities who practice protestant ideas of worship could be (and *should *be) assumed to be preaching these ideas (at least implicitly, or they are not practicing what they preach)
You claim that ecumenism is misunderstood, but you do not state your understanding what you consider “properly understood,” or specifically in what manner you regard this opinion as “misunderstood.”
Many Catholics resist any doctrine or practice that does not have a genuine Catholic origin. And the Church does not call us to accept beliefs or practices which clearly originate in protestantism.
Obviously the entire Church came from Paganism (and the Jews also - Abraham started out a pagan. Noah was a pagan).If you go back far enough in your family tree, you’ll come to a pagan. You and I come from paganism. Everyone does.I think this demonstrates one of the mindsets that tends to oppose ecumenism quiet well. That is, there is an idea (that I would argue is demonstrably false) that such practices/ideas that don’t have explicitly Catholic origins must be resisted completely or are wrong merely because of their origin. (I would argue that if Greek philosophy, originating from pagans, can be of such use, then it would be a mistake to discard all ideas that originate from more modern, less wrong, groups.)
Many confessional Lutherans view these the same way.Because many people view it as a compromise. Those who acknowledge that the Church cannot compromise doctrine can still see a compromise in “ecumenical” religious practice. The rise of folk (ie, hippie) Masses and Catholic charismaticism are regarded by many as protestant incursions into the Catholic faith - if not in doctrine, then in at least in practice. But we (ought to) practice what we preach, so Catholic communities who practice protestant ideas of worship could be (and *should *be) assumed to be preaching these ideas (at least implicitly, or they are not practicing what they preach)
.
I know. When most Catholics think of re-unification, they usually think of Catholics and Orthodox, or Catholics and Anglicans.Many confessional Lutherans view these the same way.
I agree with much of what you said here (especially that the new age is dangerous nonsense) but note that doing bad things “in the spirit of ecumenism” is no more real ecumenism than having dancing puppet clown masses “in the spirit of Vatican II” is a legitimate use of Vatican II.Obviously the entire Church came from Paganism (and the Jews also - Abraham started out a pagan. Noah was a pagan).If you go back far enough in your family tree, you’ll come to a pagan. You and I come from paganism. Everyone does.
The Church has embraced and encourages us to pursue some of these ideas, such (as you noted), philosophy (the Angelic Doctor was a philosopher).
But that doesn’t mean it’s OK to go out willy-nilly and adopt pagan (or non-Catholic) worship practices. Heck, if we did that, Catholics would be doing the enneagram! Oh, wait - they are. More encroachment.
A religious practice that is rooted in protestantism should be viewed with caution. It was conceived by people following a system of religion invented by men that the Church considers heretics. Are we gonna adopt practices of churches invented by heretics without the Church’s seal of approval? I will do no such thing.
If the Church adopts these practices then I’m OK with it, regardless of its origin. An example would be the inclusion of protestant hymns which are allowed to be sung at Mass in many Catholic jurisdictions. I sing those hymns also. However, if the USCCB did not specifically allow this, and I attended a parish that was singing hymns not approved for liturgical use (in the “spirit of ecumenism”), I would not sing along (I would probably leave).
In 2000 years, the Magesterium has never embraced or promoted any form of spirituality that did originate from within the Church. I don’t see why we should start now.
I have not yet exhausted the wealth of devotions and spiritual practices embraced by the Church, such that I need to resort to the practices of protestants.
If you would like to see what the Vatican thinks of newfangled religious practices (particularly of the New Age, which would include this enneagram nonsense), you can read JESUS CHRIST, THE BEARER OF THE WATER OF LIFE. Spoiler alert: The church is having NONE of it.
I’m not saying everything else is bad - I’m saying we don’t know if it’s good or bad. When the Magesterium promotes something, we know.what I said is that opposition to this wrong practice of saying that everything else is good can overshoot into wrongly saying that nothing else is good at all, which is the direction I think you’re going.
And how, exactly, does someone “check themselves?” I think Catholics are more accustomed to being TOLD what is true than trying to discover it for themselves. And it’s obvious that Catholics who make such an effort are sharply divided on the topics which I mentioned earlier. It’s like sola Scriptura for spiritual practices. And Catholics who adopt (or oppose) these practices are as sharply divided as protestant denominations who squabble over the meaning of verses of Scripture. IT DOESN’T WORK.Note that I also said that I think the uncritical acceptance is often a reaction against the false idea that everything else is completely bad. It’s a case of people reacting against falsehood without checking themselves to make sure they are within the bounds of truth, on both sides.
Exactly. The language you used led me to think that you were also implying that the chances of there being anything outside of Catholicism worthy of being promoted were slightly worse than the survival odds of a snowball in hell, but if this was a misinterpretation on my part and/or so long as we agree that such things are theoretically possible, and that whatever the Magesterium says goes, then we actually have little disagreement on the matter. Perhaps we disagree on how often such could conceivably happen based on what’s out there, but that’s fairly moot because neither one of us decides anyway.I’m not saying everything else is bad - I’m saying we don’t know if it’s good or bad. When the Magesterium promotes something, we know.
And how, exactly, does someone “check themselves?” I think Catholics are more accustomed to being TOLD what is true than trying to discover it for themselves. And it’s obvious that Catholics who make such an effort are sharply divided on the topics which I mentioned earlier. It’s like sola Scriptura for spiritual practices. And Catholics who adopt (or oppose) these practices are as sharply divided as protestant denominations who squabble over the meaning of verses of Scripture. IT DOESN’T WORK.
By check oneself, I did not mean to imply that we are source of what we are checking ourselves against, only that we must do it - the CDF isn’t likely to send me a letter, I have to do my best to learn from reliable sources (catechism, Church documents, trusted orthodox teachers) what is right and what is wrong (and making sure that what we think what we read means is in fact what the Church says it means, which could be considered an infinite loop except that it’s usually obvious in the important areas to anyone paying attention), and make sure that my opposition to one wrong doesn’t become a different sort of wrong. I am not the standard, I am just the one who must find the standard and hold myself to it (perhaps partially by enlisting help from others) because as just some random guy, the chances of someone who has the authority to hold me to the truth, without my first seeking him out, actually taking the time to correct me is slim. I could go further into this whole personal attempt to make sure that we aren’t using merely personal interpretations, but won’t right this second.What is lacking in the offering of Catholic religious practices that someone feels he must take recourse in protestant practices of unknown merit?
Ecumenism is the conviction that what Christians share is more important than what divides them.So many people misunderstand Ecumenism. Why is it? You thoughts?
God Bless!
I don’t misunderstand it. I think it’s a wonderful place to start a dialogue with the intention of converting someone. As our Holy Father has said, we must find a common ground to start with.So many people misunderstand Ecumenism. Why is it? You thoughts?
God Bless!
It’s not theoretically possible - it has already happened. I mentioned to you earlier that many Catholic jurisdictions have approved hymns for liturgical use which were written by protestants - everything from the finely crafted songs of Jacob Wesley to simple but energetic Gospel music. And I don’t know if this is true for only my Diocese or if it comes from the USCCB, but there’s an entire hymnal (a thick hymnal) approved for liturgical use that comes out of the Taizé Community, which is an ecumenical community.Exactly. The language you used led me to think that you were also implying that the chances of there being anything outside of Catholicism worthy of being promoted were slightly worse than the survival odds of a snowball in hell, but if this was a misinterpretation on my part and/or so long as we agree that such things are theoretically possible…
Known to be safe and good HOW? Known to WHOM? Take the Charismatic movement, for example. There are Catholics who “know” it is safe and good, and others who “know” it comes straight from the devil. How does the average Catholic layperson know which viewpoint is correct? He doesn’t! He just accepts the one he prefers.As for what is lacking in Catholic spiritual practices - I wouldn’t think very much (read: nothing). But there may nevertheless be protestant spiritual practices that are good, and if, for whatever reason, someone prefers those practices and they are known to be safe and good, then despite that there may also be originally Catholic practices that serve the same purposes, there is no reason why that person ought not engage in them.
Exactly.But in principle, there is no reason why such things could not exist, and it is up to the Magesterium to figure out what they are and which we can do.
Known to be safe and good to the Church. I completely reject (as I’ve said) the idea that each person can make up their own minds in a vacuum about what is good and what is not. The charismatic movement, for example, is definitely not something that I’m interested in, but so far as I can tell the Church has given it the green light, so my misgivings don’t realy matter all that much. Given the support the movement has been shown by bishops and popes, anyone who thinks it is from the devil would have quiet a bit of explaining to do.It’s not theoretically possible - it has already happened. I mentioned to you earlier that many Catholic jurisdictions have approved hymns for liturgical use which were written by protestants - everything from the finely crafted songs of Jacob Wesley to simple but energetic Gospel music. And I don’t know if this is true for only my Diocese or if it comes from the USCCB, but there’s an entire hymnal (a thick hymnal) approved for liturgical use that comes out of the Taizé Community, which is an ecumenical community.
…
Known to be safe and good HOW? Known to WHOM? Take the Charismatic movement, for example. There are Catholics who “know” it is safe and good, and others who “know” it comes straight from the devil. How does the average Catholic layperson know which viewpoint is correct? He doesn’t! He just accepts the one he prefers.
Exactly.
Yes, BISHOPS looked into them. Or, at least, Catholic liturgists whom they appointed and who advised them. But the BISHOPS were free to accept or reject the recommendation. In the United States, the USCCB accepted them. Other Catholic jurisdictions speak other languages, and there might not be a suitable corpus of hymns of non-Catholic origin in their language to merit inclusion into their liturgical practice. Thus, such decisions are always made at a local level.On the one hand, you seem to have said that there is no reason to look at spiritual practices outside of Catholicism given how much is within it, and said taking external things was failing to practice what we preach and generally implied it was a terrible thing, but then you just told me that some non-Catholic practices have been approved, and that that is good. Presumably, someone looked into them first.
Maybe that’s because I have not made any such distinction, except for the enneagram, which I called “nonsense” and backed it up with a Vatican document with a similar finding (a finding with you expressed agreement). I have called other practices “controversial,” but that’s all.Clearly some external practices are bad and ought not be embraced, but I had not seen much of a distinction from you before.
Sorry, but I don’t understand what that means. What, in your opinion, is “ecumenism properly done?” And, whatever you say, can you back it up with Church teaching?You’ve also gone to great pains to tell me that the individualistic/relativistic everyone decide what’s true and hope for the best approach is wrong, even if I haven’t quiet figured out what I said to make you think I thought otherwise. Just as clearly as before, attempting to use such methods to justify doing whatever it is you want is also bad, but I’m not sure how that is related to ecumenism properly done, or to external practices that have rather more support than that.
It’s very simple, and very consistent. I don’t give a fig whether something originates from within the Catholic Church. Arianism was invented by Catholic priest. Lutheranism was invented by a Catholic priest. All of protestantism has Catholic origins.I’m basically just no longer sure what it is your trying to tell me that I haven’t explicitly said, where or if we disagree, or even what your position is on ecumenism/practices that did not originate from within the Catholic Church.
Ecumenism properly done is in brief Catholics and Protestants (or dissent groups of Protestants) working or worshipping together using only those things which all groups recognize as true. This may be a simple prayer meeting before an annoying protest that involves hymns all groups involved agree on, and a few prayers like the Our Father. This does involve use of non Catholic stuff but only that which has, by the proper people - the bishops- obviously, been approved and is thus actually true.Yes, BISHOPS looked into them. Or, at least, Catholic liturgists whom they appointed and who advised them. But the BISHOPS were free to accept or reject the recommendation. In the United States, the USCCB accepted them. Other Catholic jurisdictions speak other languages, and there might not be a suitable corpus of hymns of non-Catholic origin in their language to merit inclusion into their liturgical practice. Thus, such decisions are always made at a local level.
Maybe that’s because I have not made any such distinction, except for the enneagram, which I called “nonsense” and backed it up with a Vatican document with a similar finding (a finding with you expressed agreement). I have called other practices “controversial,” but that’s all.
Sorry, but I don’t understand what that means. What, in your opinion, is “ecumenism properly done?” And, whatever you say, can you back it up with Church teaching?
It’s very simple, and very consistent. I don’t give a fig whether something originates from within the Catholic Church. Arianism was invented by Catholic priest. Lutheranism was invented by a Catholic priest. All of protestantism has Catholic origins.
The ONLY thing I care about is whether the Catholic Magesterium has given it Her “seal of approval.” Catholics can be heretics and invent their own religion (as Arius and Luther did).
But, I also observe that the Catholic Magesteruim has NEVER approved ANY protestant worship practice (though She has approved some protestant music). The Magesterium is not opposed to “all things of non-Catholic origin,” but She has never endorsed any non-Catholic religious practices. That does not mean She could not do so in the future, but it ought to give Catholics in the here-and-now reason to be wary of such practices, especially if they originate from churches which were invented by Catholic heretics.
This is a claim that I am unfamiliar with. The term “wide approval” indicates something on the order of a National Council of Bishops (such as the USCCB), and probably a collection of such like-minded National Councils, who actually promote and encourage such practice. I presume you do not mean “wide” in the sense that a few Bishops who are widely dispersed across the globe, without any ecclesiastical unity, merely tolerate the practice.The Charismatic movement, for example, has wide approval from the bishops and is arguably based upon ways of looking at things that started in Protestantism, and is more than just a collection of hymns.
The problem with ecumenism is that Catholicism loses its identity. When the mass changed, it changed into what resembles a Protestant service. When you walk into the Catholic churches of today, you don’t see any statues of saints, the same with protestant churches.So many people misunderstand Ecumenism. Why is it? You thoughts?
God Bless!