M
MrPizzaDude
Guest
Why is the catholic church supporting Ecumenism? isnt there suppose to be only one faith and that is the catholic church? I thought there was no salvation outside the catholic church
Pope John Paul IIWhy is the catholic church supporting Ecumenism? isnt there suppose to be only one faith and that is the catholic church? I thought there was no salvation outside the catholic church
vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_25051995_ut-unum-sint_en.htmlChrist calls all his disciples to unity. My earnest desire is to renew this call today, to propose it once more with determination, repeating what I said at the Roman Colosseum on Good Friday 1994, at the end of the meditation on the Via Crucis prepared by my Venerable Brother Bartholomew, the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople. **There I stated that believers in Christ, united in following in the footsteps of the martyrs, cannot remain divided. If they wish truly and effectively to oppose the world’s tendency to reduce to powerlessness the Mystery of Redemption, they must profess together the same truth about the Cross.**1 The Cross! An anti-Christian outlook seeks to minimize the Cross, to empty it of its meaning, and to deny that in it man has the source of his new life. It claims that the Cross is unable to provide either vision or hope. Man, it says, is nothing but an earthly being, who must live as if God did not exist.
The best explanation is in the Vatican II document Unitatis Redintegratio (“restoration of unity”).Why is the catholic church supporting Ecumenism? isnt there suppose to be only one faith and that is the catholic church? I thought there was no salvation outside the catholic church
As has been mentioned, the whole point of Catholic ecumenism is uniting all the Baptized in Catholic unity. It does not mean religious indifferentism.Why is the catholic church supporting Ecumenism? isnt there suppose to be only one faith and that is the catholic church? I thought there was no salvation outside the catholic church
This is correct. That’s why it’s important to bring everyone as close to the Church as possible. It’s hard to do if you treat non-Catholics like lepers.I thought there was no salvation outside the catholic church
And it is a right heavy thing to see such variousness in our belief rise and grow among ourselves, to the great encouragement of the common enemies of us all, whereby they have our faith in derision and catch hope to overwhelm us all. Yet do three things not a little comfort my mind. The first is that, in some communications had of late together, there hath appeared good likelihood of some good agreement to grow together in one accord of our faith. The second is that in the meanwhile, till this may come to pass, contentions, disputations, and uncharitable behaviour are prohibited and forbidden in effect upon all parties–all such parties, I mean, as fell before to fight for it. The third is that in Germany, for all their diverse opinions, yet as they agree together in profession of Christ’s name, so agree they now together in preparation of a common power, in defence of Christendom against our common enemy the Turk. And I trust in God that this shall not only help us here to strengthen us in this war, but also that, as God hath caused them to agree together in the defence of his name, so shall he graciously bring them to agree together in the truth of his faith. Therefore will I let God work, and leave off contention. And I shall now say nothing but that with which they who are themselves of the contrary mind shall in reason have no cause to be discontented.
I think also that ecumenical takes on much significance well spoken on in the Holy Fathers encyclical. We must evangelize ourselves also and by doing so this radiates outward and permeates the world.Why is the catholic church supporting Ecumenism?
Good point! I have a friend whose parents have been missionaries in parts of Africa, where the only other Christians may be the missionaries in nearby villages who are of different communions. After a while, the bigger goal tends to overshadow the differences.Just to add, working together toward common causes may also be a source of grace toward unity. St. Thomas More expressed this hope that Catholics and Protestants might be drawn together by cooperating in a common cause (in this case, repelling Turkish invaders):
There isn’t salvation outside of the Church. But if we build walls, we can’t help those outside. We talk with them and work side by side people of other faith in a hope that we can be a witness to them.Why is the catholic church supporting Ecumenism? isnt there suppose to be only one faith and that is the catholic church? I thought there was no salvation outside the catholic church