(Edited Title): Why the Bible alone?

  • Thread starter Thread starter awfulthings9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grape,

If the Bible ONLY is to be our rule of faith, then please answer the 4 questions I posted in post #2.

Who had the authority to decide what was ‘the Bible’ and what was not (I’m talking about the New Testament)? Your church didn’t exist til the 20th century, which Christian church was around at the time to say which books were in the New Testament?
The Bible ONLY is not to be “our” rule of faith, it is just the only authority the CoC has.
(When you say “our” you represent Catholics.
When I say “our” I represent Church of Christ.)
We trust in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, and the only true source we have is the Bible.
 
I am frustrated at my friend’s determination to ignore documented church history. I am frustated that he claims a history that has no documentation. His claim that the HS protected the NT for 1400 years prior to the printing press assumes infallibility for every Tom, Dick and Harry that ever copied the Word of God, none of who he can identify by name. THAT is trusting in man, not God.
Suprisingly, could he point to scripture that says authoritatively that it exactly happened that way? If not, then he is using a stipulation based upon tradition and negating his argument.

Unfortunatley for Sola Scriptorians, the burden of proof is on them… and it is a burden that cannot be met because evidence and common sense dictate otherwise.

All one would have to do, is point out and have them agree to a single theological point that cannot be authoritatively shown in scripture… but is accepted to be true… and they have negated their whole premise.
 
I am frustrated at my friend’s determination to ignore documented church history. I am frustated that he claims a history that has no documentation. His claim that the HS protected the NT for 1400 years prior to the printing press assumes infallibility for every Tom, Dick and Harry that ever copied the Word of God, none of who he can identify by name. THAT is trusting in man, not God.
Additionally, God has never spoken to each of His people individually, either in the OT or the NT. He always uses men as the vehicle for the transmission of His Truth, from Moses to Jonah, and from Peter to Benedict.
I trust the Bible because I trust the Church that Jesus Christ founded, not because it claims divine origin. The book of Mormon also claims divine origin, that does not make it so.
And just for clarification, I am speaking strictly of my experience with my friend. I do not presume to be speaking for your faith, as I know nothing about you, or your faith journey.
I think it’s great that you care for your friend enough to challenge him to get to know his faith better. We all need friends like you.

We do have a history, you don’t have to go that far back in time to trace it. Maybe that is a good starting point for you to come together.

Trying to shake his faith in the Bible is not going to work and it would be self-defeating too.
 
Here’s a challenge to all of my Sola Scriptura friends – tell me which John wrote Revelation.😉
 
Here’s a challenge to all of my Sola Scriptura friends – tell me which John wrote Revelation.😉
Never crossed my mind.

Please tell me and then explain what christian meaning it has.

My guess is that it does not matter and it means you are mean spirited.
 
Back to the OP.

I’ll turn it around.
Why do you think we believe in the Bible alone?
 
You’ve explained that we must go by the Bible alone. Where does the Bible or any other source tell us to do this?
No source told us to do it. It was the result of history.

If you want to discuss the results of Calvinism and how we have nothing but the Bible left. great

If you want to play games with me. fine
 
The Catholic Church obviously canonized the Bible.
The infallibility of the Bible is one thing we should agree on.
But doesn’t an infallible Bible deserve an infallible interpreter?
 
The Bible ONLY is not to be “our” rule of faith, it is just the only authority the CoC has.
(When you say “our” you represent Catholics.
When I say “our” I represent Church of Christ.)
We trust in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, and the only true source we have is the Bible.
How do you know the CoC intrepretation of the Bible is correct? Protestants all claim to follow the Bible, but teach contradicting things concerning Baptism, Salvation, the Lord’s Supper, etc. Who is the ultimate arbiter of the truth?
 
How do you know the CoC intrepretation of the Bible is correct? Protestants all claim to follow the Bible, but teach contradicting things concerning Baptism, Salvation, the Lord’s Supper, etc. Who is the ultimate arbiter of the truth?
Back to the story of the man from Mars. Wishing to learn about Christianity, he went from church to church – where he found wildly differing doctrines. Yet each church had elaborate “proofs” of its doctrines.

So he went back to each church and asked a simple question, “Is it possible you are wrong? Answer yes or no.”

And only one Church could answer “no.”😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top