El Shaddai = Non Catholic?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MarkA16
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MarkA16

Guest
I was reading about El Shaddai on wikipedia and I found that the founder claims to be Catholic but…
Some conservative priests are seeing the illusionist Velarde already on the edge of heresy because of his “stupid” practices not known in the traditional Catholic rites. Velarde opposes the use of rosary beads and images of the saints, and he is especially critical of prayers directed to Mary instead of God.
Anyone else know more about this movement?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Shaddai_%28movement%29
 
I never heard of the group you gave the link about, but I have heard the Amy Grant song.

El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
El-Elyon na Adonia,
Age to age You’re still the same,
By the power of the name.
El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
Erkamka na Adonai,
We will praise and lift You high,
El Shaddai.
Through your love and through the ram,
You saved the son of Abraham;
Through the power of your hand,
Turned the sea into dry land.
To the outcast on her knees,
You were the God who really sees,
And by Your might,
You set Your children free.
El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
El-Elyon na Adonia,
Age to age You’re still the same,
By the power of the name.
El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
Erkamka na Adonai,
We will praise and lift You high,
El Shaddai.
Through the years You’ve made it clear,
That the time of Christ was near,
Though the people couldn’t see
What Messiah ought to be.
Though Your Word contained the plan,
They just could not understand
Your most awesome work was done
Through the frailty of Your Son.
El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
El-Elyon na Adonai,
Age to age You’re still the same,
By the power of the name.
El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
Erkamka na Adonai,
I will praise and lift You high,
El Shaddai.
El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
El-Elyon na Adonai,
Age to age You’re still the same,
By the power of the name.
El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
Erkamka na Adonai,
I will praise and lift You high,
El Shaddai.
 
The term is not non-Catholic, it’s a Hebrew name for God.

It essentially translates as 'the all sufficient" and in Hebrew carries the same connotation as a mother’s milk because that is all sufficient for her baby.

It is one of the terms that is often heard among evangelicals, especially those who fancy themselves some sort of “Messianic Jew” (a term that my Jewish buddy loses it over because he says there is no such thing…they are not Jews at all. They are Christians. He is Hasidim and it offends him bigtime!).

Unless you are studying Biblical Hebrew, that’s about all the relevance that it has.

BTW, Amy Grant is non-Catholic.
Pax tecum,
 
I was reading about El Shaddai on wikipedia and I found that the founder claims to be Catholic but…

Anyone else know more about this movement?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Shaddai_%28movement%29
It is a movement within and part of the Catholic Church here in the Philippines. Unfortunately the guy who heads it up, i.e. Brother Vellarde is nothing but a corrupt individual duping the members of this movement. He even fled the country when ex-President Estrada was ousted and arrested (they were close friends). So much for Vellarde being a faithful Catholic and trusting in the Lord!! He came back when things calmed down a bit. The money collected at the El Shaddai gatherings should be handed over to the Church but guess what? He now has a huge house in a very wealthy part of Manila built by the collections he did not give to the Church. He calls them love offerings to himself. What a crook. I really do wish the hierarchy of the Church here would wake up and do something about him. He is basically hijacking members of the faith for his own selfish and corrupt interests.
 
It is a movement within and part of the Catholic Church here in the Philippines. Unfortunately the guy who heads it up, i.e. Brother Vellarde is nothing but a corrupt individual duping the members of this movement. He even fled the country when ex-President Estrada was ousted and arrested (they were close friends). So much for Vellarde being a faithful Catholic and trusting in the Lord!! He came back when things calmed down a bit. The money collected at the El Shaddai gatherings should be handed over to the Church but guess what? He now has a huge house in a very wealthy part of Manila built by the collections he did not give to the Church. He calls them love offerings to himself. What a crook. I really do wish the hierarchy of the Church here would wake up and do something about him. He is basically hijacking members of the faith for his own selfish and corrupt interests.
interesting!, Is Bishop Bacani still with them?

somehow, Bro Velarde have been in a luxurious life…he was close to politicians…and who ever he supports the EL Shaddai members follows him…sort of

oh by the way, EL SHADDAI means the ALMIGHTY GOD. and here in the Philippines they are a Catholic Charismatic group…
 
interesting!, Is Bishop Bacani still with them?

somehow, Bro Velarde have been in a luxurious life…he was close to politicians…and who ever he supports the EL Shaddai members follows him…sort of

oh by the way, EL SHADDAI means the ALMIGHTY GOD. and here in the Philippines they are a Catholic Charismatic group…
I’ve heard that they do have some customs which we can term ‘superstitious’ (such as turning umbrellas upside down supposedly to ‘catch’ blessings. Can someone verify this?). Other than that, I don’t see anything wrong with them.

On a side note, it seems Catholic Charismatic Groups with Hebrew names are the fad there in the Philippines. There is another charismatic group named ‘Shalom’ founded by a Franciscan priest here (Forgot his last name though)
 
Yeah because I was home alone on Sunday and I wanted to go to Church but had no ride. I feel bad just watching Mass on t.v. and I know it’s not counted as going to Mass. We have The Filipino Channel and in TV Guide it had El Shaddai. I didn’t know what it was so I looked it up online to see what I would be watching. Unfortunatly, after reading, I decided to not watch it, but instead of the show after that, the TV Mass.

🙂 Thanks all.

And also, I was somewhat worried when I read about ES because my grandma is Catholic and she watches it. She DOES the rosary and pray to Mary, but I don’t think she realizes that Bro. Vellarde isn’t what he said he is.

🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top