L
littlequestion
Guest
Hi, just kind of opening the door to a wide-ranging discussion here.
What inspires it? Well I have worked in several different capacities over the years with the elderly and I have seen a lot, and I know there are others out there who also have experience with corporate-style as well as in-home care. There are some special considerations for Catholics. I have seen people decide that some elder needs to be converted before they die, I have seen nurse’s aides hide rosaries. It was because they were anticatholic in one case but because they feared the elder might put it in her mouth in another case.
As medical science progresses into ever-stranger areas, I fear there are longevity procedures that we might want to think about as Catholics. There was recently a call by a politician to keep Catholics out of the Emergency Rooms. If this type of thinking continues, what does that mean for an elder in crisis? Not to argue about it, but to discuss ways to provide enough spiritual care so that we need not notice if such thinking does come up in any hospital.
With the changing availability of priests and competent laity for sacraments, we might want to consider how we provide for devotional life for the elderly at home.
.
What inspires it? Well I have worked in several different capacities over the years with the elderly and I have seen a lot, and I know there are others out there who also have experience with corporate-style as well as in-home care. There are some special considerations for Catholics. I have seen people decide that some elder needs to be converted before they die, I have seen nurse’s aides hide rosaries. It was because they were anticatholic in one case but because they feared the elder might put it in her mouth in another case.
As medical science progresses into ever-stranger areas, I fear there are longevity procedures that we might want to think about as Catholics. There was recently a call by a politician to keep Catholics out of the Emergency Rooms. If this type of thinking continues, what does that mean for an elder in crisis? Not to argue about it, but to discuss ways to provide enough spiritual care so that we need not notice if such thinking does come up in any hospital.
With the changing availability of priests and competent laity for sacraments, we might want to consider how we provide for devotional life for the elderly at home.
.