EMHC distributing COTT

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrushedByAngels
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrushedByAngels

Guest
Is it me or does it seem like EMHC do not like to distribute on the tongue? I normally only get in the Priest line because 20 years ago it seemed as if I got the feeling that they did not distribute COTT correctly and were uncomfortable with it.

I attend mass several times a week and the past few weeks have tried to keep an open mind by giving the EMHC another chance. Big mistake. One man was so elderly he could barely see :rolleyes: and he let the host fall to the floor (seems as if he did not want to place on my tongue but at the tip of my lip) so it fell to the floor and he looks at me and says “did you get it?” I said “No the host is on the floor” so he gives me another correctly , but ignores the host on the floor. All I could think about was how I was so worried that someone would step on it.😦 Then the other day at daily mass the EMHC is a women much shorter than me and she could barely reach into my mouth correctly so she got her finger all over my tongue. :confused:

I think in the future – until the church brings back communion rails, I will continue to get in the Priest line. I have never had a problem with the priest distributing COTT.
 
Is it me or does it seem like EMHC do not like to distribute on the tongue? I normally only get in the Priest line because 20 years ago it seemed as if I got the feeling that they did not distribute COTT correctly and were uncomfortable with it.

I attend mass several times a week and the past few weeks have tried to keep an open mind by giving the EMHC another chance. Big mistake. One man was so elderly he could barely see :rolleyes: and he let the host fall to the floor (seems as if he did not want to place on my tongue but at the tip of my lip) so it fell to the floor and he looks at me and says “did you get it?” I said “No the host is on the floor” so he gives me another correctly , but ignores the host on the floor. All I could think about was how I was so worried that someone would step on it.😦 Then the other day at daily mass the EMHC is a women much shorter than me and she could barely reach into my mouth correctly so she got her finger all over my tongue. :confused:

I think in the future – until the church brings back communion rails, I will continue to get in the Priest line. I have never had a problem with the priest distributing COTT.
It’s only you. 😃 I’ve never had problems in my years of EMHCing of giving on the tongue, nor have I ever seen or heard of any problems. 🤷
 
I think it depends on the particular EMHC and the parish.

In my parish, a lot of people receive COTT, so all the regular EMHC’s are quite adept at it. Sometimes, you’ll get a newbie that isn’t quite so skilled, but not too often.

But when I go to other parishes in other places where I’m pretty much the only one receiving COTT, then it’s a much different story. I can always tell when the EMHC doesn’t distribute COTT very often because they’re much more “hesitant”. That, and the fact that they instinctively look down to my hands before realizing I’m opting for COTT. 😛

Usually, though, when the EMHC is elderly and/or very short (I’m somewhat tall) I’ll just opt for COTH. I don’t want anyone straining themselves or dropping the Eucharist on my account. :o
 
Is it me or does it seem like EMHC do not like to distribute on the tongue? I normally only get in the Priest line because 20 years ago it seemed as if I got the feeling that they did not distribute COTT correctly and were uncomfortable with it.

I attend mass several times a week and the past few weeks have tried to keep an open mind by giving the EMHC another chance. Big mistake. One man was so elderly he could barely see :rolleyes: and he let the host fall to the floor (seems as if he did not want to place on my tongue but at the tip of my lip) so it fell to the floor and he looks at me and says “did you get it?” I said “No the host is on the floor” so he gives me another correctly , but ignores the host on the floor. All I could think about was how I was so worried that someone would step on it.😦 Then the other day at daily mass the EMHC is a women much shorter than me and she could barely reach into my mouth correctly so she got her finger all over my tongue. :confused:

I think in the future – until the church brings back communion rails, I will continue to get in the Priest line. I have never had a problem with the priest distributing COTT.
I think it is only you too. Did it ever occur to you that the reason for the use of the paten is because priests can and do accidentally drop hosts, communion rail or no communion rail? They were using patens long before communion rails were taken down and EMHC’s were common. Priests are not protected from human error or accident. They have dropped hosts and spilled the precious blood as well.

That is a very poor argument against EMHC’s distributing on the tongue.
 
I think it is only you too. Did it ever occur to you that the reason for the use of the paten is because priests can and do accidentally drop hosts, communion rail or no communion rail? They were using patens long before communion rails were taken down and EMHC’s were common. Priests are not protected from human error or accident. They have dropped hosts and spilled the precious blood as well.

That is a very poor argument against EMHC’s distributing on the tongue.
I am not making an argument, just stating how I feel and have always felt.🤷 and showed examples of what just happened the only two incidents (since the early 90’s) that I went to the EMHC line. In regards to my question, I wanted to know if EMHC are uncomfortable distributing on the tongue.

I’d guess distributing communion at the rail would be easier for tall people to receive on the tongue.

Maybe it would be wise for them to use patens now. What is the correct procedure when the host is dropped? Leave it on the floor, ignore it to get trampled on? :eek: Seems very disturbing to me.
 
I have done EMHC training for our diocese and can tell you that we teach them both ways and that most of them become very comfortable distributing both ways. I can also tell you that the dropping of the host usually has a lot more to do with the person receiving than the person distributing. The most common thing is not sticking out the tongue enough, grabbing the host between their teeth or not opening their mouth. There are also some people who are what we call “slurpers.” They wrap their mouth around your fingers and try to suck in the host. Also if a person is too tall and does not stoop down that makes it difficult. These problems occur with priests as well as EMHCs.
 
I am an EMHC and I receive COTT. I also prefer to distribute COTT. However, I have a significant advantage over most of the other EMHCs. I am tall and so it is easier to distribute COTT to standing people. If you are short and you have to distribute to tall people it becomes more difficult and that is when kneelers could provide a clear practical advantage.
 
Though I prefer to receive from a priest, the EMHC’s in my parish are pretty well trained.

However, I’ve noticed that in visiting other parishes, or with a visiting priest who is unpracticed in COTT, they uniformly seem to have a tendency to “come in too low”, and a mini-genuflection on my part makes for a much smoother communion.

Another reason to return to kneeling for communion . . .
 
…Also if a person is too tall and does not stoop down that makes it difficult. These problems occur with priests as well as EMHCs.
Stooping is not necessarily easy for a lot of older folks.
A communion rail makes it much easier for the vertically challenged Eucharistic Minister to distribute to folks who are taller than they are.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top