dandingo;12408461:
Hi there,
In the recent past, I have had two different people tell me that The Catholic Church didn’t begin until 325 A.D. or the Council of Nicaea and I’m trying to understand their logic as well as have a rebuttal. I truly believe The Catholic Church began with Jesus gave Peter the keys to the kingdom. How do I go about answering them?
Ancient Church Fathers: What the Disciples of the Apostles Taught (Paperback)
hello-- if you are looking 4 the silver bullet – or just trying to get the “upper hand” it wont work-- unless you can “raise some one from the dead” why should they believe you are any one??
but if you direct them to something written that "might identify to their understanding – well then they will read it – to see the full content !
If you are interested in the historical development of theology, this is an excellent book.
I would highly recommend going back to the original context of the quotes to make sure the quotes are not being taken out of context
. However, I really enjoyed the amount of doctrines this book touches on.
I will be referring to this book often. It touches on many of the doctrinal controversy’s today such as Calvinism, dispensationalism, Catholicism, Cessation, Baptism, and many, many others.
I find myself generally agreeing with the author’s views on most of the controversies/ doctrines that he touches on.
It is very important to understand the origins of the Calvinistic/ Reformed interpretation of scripture.
These ideas started with Gnostic cults who mixed philosophy with the Bible, were picked up by Augustine later in life and were later developed by Calvin and his followers.
This book demonstrates that these doctrines were not emphasized by the disciples of the apostles as being essential to the true gospel.
The way the modern Calvinists teach on election, forknowledge, free will, and other doctrines finds its roots in the gnostic cults who thought they were elite groups with special knowledge.
My favorite quote in the book was this:
Papias AD 70-155
Fragment 6 – After the resurrection of the dead, Jesus will personally reign for one thousand years. I was taught this by the apostle John, himself.
When I went to search for this quote in the church Fathers I noticed that the phrase “I was taught this by the apostle John, himself.” seems to be the interpretation of this author and not the actual quote. The orginal context seemed to be saying that Papias learned this from those who learned from the apostle John.
You must be careful with this work. Check out the quotes in the original sources if you are going to use them. However, this is a useful and valuable work
Ancient Church Fathers: What the Disciples of the Apostles Taught (Paperback)
I was always told to read the church fathers to see what the early Christians believed
. After reading this book,
I came to the same conclusion the early fathers of the Catholic faith did of the Bible.
It looks like the Roman Catholic Church was the one Catholic organization who split away from the early Christians to go their own way by giving all power to the Roman Pope based on false documents such as the “Donation of Constantine”
This book will open the eyes of most Roman Catholics as to what they have been taught compared to what the first Christians believed and were taught by the Bible and later the early Christian Leaders.
Check out the quotes in the original sources if you are going to use them. However, this is a useful and valuable work
This is hogwash. Too many times, people confuse the founding of the Catholic Church with the founding of the Diocese of Rome (also called the Church of Rome) and the creation of the Roman Rite.
The Catholic Church is more than just one Diocese and more than just one Rite.