drskigirl,
I can relate to your story because I’ve BTDT. My childhood was okay until my brother was adopted (I was adopted as well); suddenly the sun rose and set on him and he could do no wrong. I mean, my paternal grandparents now had a male heir to pass on the family name

.
My dad was also controlling, vascillated between emotionally neglect and emotional abuse, had anger management problems which resulted in some physical abuse (especially under the guise of discipline where he would take his anger out on my butt and then blamed me for “getting him mad”). He was also a perfectionist and had chauvinistic tendencies.
While the emotional & physical abuse was hard to deal with, it was the emotional neglect that affected me the most. For example, from 7th-12th grade, I was involved with band and orchestra and had numerous recitals, concerts, and banquets. My mom made it to 2 concerts in 7th grade and my dad missed every. single. thing

! Except for one year in high school, they missed every open house at school (and the one they did go to, they left early). I seriously thought that they’d miss my HS graduation (it was the only thing they did go to). I learned to not expect anything from my parents because having no expectations is better that being disappointed all the time.
From age 13 - 22, I alternated between severe depression and severe anxiety and even tried to commit suicide at age 15. My parents did absolutely nothing: no ER visit, no doctor’s visit, no counseling…nothing! Not only did my parents make me feel like a defective person, but I always has a suspicion that they regretted adopting me . Well, a few years later, my dad did say that he and my mom shouldn’t have had children

. Hearing something like that really messes you up and hurts you to your core.
I’d better stop because all this reminiscing is just too upsetting. Suffice it to say that I never felt that my parents loved me and as a result, I had zero self-worth and zero self-esteem.
It affected my spiritual life as well. I had a hard time relating to God as father; I saw God as a vengeful father just waiting for me to screw up in order to mete out a harsh punishment. When I returned to the Church 13 years ago, the thought of going to Confession scared the bejeebers out of me. I was expecting the priest to either deny me absolution, or give me a really, really, REALLY harsh penance. Instead, I received 3 Hail Mary’s and thought the priest was too soft
In 2001, I started going to therapy (originally for dealing was a rape) and finally dealt with my chilhood “issues”. At the same time, I knew I needed to talk to a priest about my spiritual “issues”, but I had a hard time trusting any father figure (out of fear) . A friend of mine recommended a wonderful Carmelite priest for spiritual direction. While therapy was very helpful, having a priest lay his hands on my head and pray over me probably helped the most.
Six years later, I’m in a much better place (praise the Lord); I’m emotionally and spiritually healthy

!
Now, besides the therapy and spiritual counseling I received, here are a few books by Dr. Conrad Baars that helped me tremendously (his daughter has been on EWTN a number of times talking about her father’s work):
“Healing the Unaffirmed”
“Feeling and Healing Your Emotions”
conradbaars.com/Baars-books.htm
Also, check out “Arise From Darkness” by Fr. Benedict Groeschel.
Hope this helps.
MadameButterfly